Kevin

What did you receive today?

We brought the cat from Alaska with us more than 15 years ago. It would be a CATastrophe if we were to set fire to him.  The ship BTW is a resin casting I believe. Must be some kinda British slang for meat and potatoes this "cats and dogs " expression. Don't care much for lamb though. Its not a common dish. May be we don't know how to prepare it.     Bill in Idaho

Carving set ... that would give me another idea altogether, not something laser cut

Carl, whether it is cut with a laser, a scroll saw or a band saw, it's what woodcarvers call a "roughout", something that has to be further carved to get it to its finished look.

post-228-0-38661300-1477651167_thumb.jpg

I received this great little book( 205 x 140) as part of a recent "big anniversary" celebration and I commend it to any one who is building, or who has built, the Pickle. The book deals with all the Pickles but mainly it is about THE Pickle and it's crew. I was delighted to discover that there was so much more to her history other than her sad but glorious duty after Trafalgar.

Three weeks ago, I visited the store for jewelers "Sapphir" during my stay in St. Petersburg. WOW! It was very difficult to get out of there. :)

I bought some new high quality needle files, drills, boers for Proxxon and some of the necessary tools and materials to me.

post-17539-0-60302000-1477662760_thumb.jpg

post-17539-0-58142200-1477662770_thumb.jpg

post-17539-0-43623800-1477662780_thumb.jpg

post-17539-0-49378900-1477662791_thumb.jpg

Oooh! Lovely bits and pieces - I am jealous!

Oh, yes, Mike! There is really the wide range of high quality tools and materials in this shop. It was very difficult to keep yourself in the hands of :)

I suddenly feel the overpowering urge to goto "Sapphir" in St Petersburg ...

Carl, I think you'll be able to find such a shop close to your house :) And, perhaps, you can order these tools in the online store. http://spb.sapphire.ru/vcd-250/catalog.html

What is the item in the top picture?

Sam

Sam, this cleaning brush of Boers and Needle files.

post-17539-0-96293500-1477908501_thumb.jpg

This is no joke...I accidentally glued my entire hand to a huge model airplane wing I was building while using the thin ca glue. About a 6' wing.

If that wasn't bad enough, I had to walk to my bedroom with the wing attached to my hand and awake my wife to help me get some acetone out of a cabinet so I could remove the wing from said hand. It was stuck so tight, it would have ripped away flesh on my entire hand for sure without that acetone.

Hey Daddy Rabbit,

You should have glued the other wing to the other hand and you would have a modern updated Leonardo de Vinci (of man in flight) :stunned:

Hello tadeusz,

That's a nice machine. It looks almost identical to the proxxon Fet and it looks like a serious  contender for lesser money.

I wonder if you could test this machine for us . In holland you can buy it at Conrad.

Joop Ham

Hello tadeusz,

That's a nice machine. It looks almost identical to the proxxon Fet and it looks like a serious  contender for lesser money.

I wonder if you could test this machine for us . In holland you can buy it at Conrad.

Joop Ham

It is identical, same green color too, but the yellow is not there along with the red guard.

Conrad are selling the Proxxon Fet as well, which is strange.

My old calipers just gave up. I tried to change the battery and the battery cover was impossible to remove, So, I went to my beloved Amazon and found these for about 16 dlls. At that price I bought 2... one for my ship shop and another for my pen turning shop. For the price they are awesome. Readings in inches, mm or fractions, auto off, auto on when you open the jaws. Seem very accurate and sturdy built, even tho' they are Chinese made. A nice touch is the extra battery (included!) storage compartment. If anything, the plastic case feels cheap. I'm very happy with this purchase.

post-975-0-25037700-1478204880_thumb.jpg

So there is this certain ship model I have wanted but never got around to ordering it. Today I decided to make a short trip to visit an old friend and hobby shop owner (he has been in the hobby business here for 50 years!).

It's always fun to visit his shop, both to see everything he has on his shelves as well as to talk with him and share good stories. 

Just when I thought I had seen everything, which took a couple of hours, I ran across the model I wanted. Eureka! And the best part of finding it, he was only asking $199 for it. The model normally sells for $350 or more, and that doesn't include shipping when you have to order it from Italy or even in the USA if you can find one.

pRoclIV.jpg

Fate, destiny, call it what you want ... or like Grant puts it serendipity (nice film, by the way) now you have to finish your other build ... or is it a multi-build you are starting like Popeye (Dennis) ...

Ha-ha. No, I'm afraid I have my hands full with my current Essex build and won't start this model until some uncertain date in the future.

This hobby shop owner is such an interesting character and friend. We have literally traded dozens of times over the past many years. I have brought complete truckloads of models and traded with him. All that used to be so much fun.

Besides being a hobby expert and business owner, he is an avid race car builder/driver as well as a big-game hunter.

Fast cars, fast boats, hunting, guns, and great models of all descriptions. What better friend could a guy have for interesting conversation and sharing old times?