What did you receive today?

Kevin

On 3/1/2017 at 7:29 PM, Landlocked123 said:

Hi John,

Are you sure Wave isn't just counterfeiting Trumpeter and Merit?

best,

John

Just as a follow up to an earlier discussion about plastic model kits, I did an inquiry with a subject matter expert and now can confirm with certainty:

Wave, Hobby Boss, and Merit are all made by the same factory/company, Trumpeter.

I thought that was the case. but now am sure of it.

I received a new OtterBox holster for my cell phone case.  The one I had broke. They replaced it free of charge questions unasked. Just cost me a few bucks shipping.  I am pretty impressed with Otterbox.  I believe delivery was three days including the weekend.  From US to Canada.

Be careful. Guitar Fetish is a real thing. A real website and business, that is. 

Once you visit and see all the goodies for modding or building your own guitar, you'll get hooked. Pickups for that Strat? No problem, they have them. :)

PS: I was at Sam Ash guitar center yesterday and almost gave into the temptation for a new Gibson Les Paul. They had some on sale, and I may end up buying one yet.

13 hours ago, philo426 said:

Just got done playing it and it stays in tune very well even with deep bends.Since it is late I used my Vox headphone amp with the reverb and a little overdrive and it does sound good.

A hot Strat with a humbucker in the bridge position and a totally out-of-sight and groovy '70s headstock.

20 rolls of "Washi" masking tape from Ebay.

I didn't take a picture because after all, it's just masking tape.

Why post about Washi masking tape here, you may ask?

Because this tape is on a quality par with Tamiya masking tape at just a fraction of the cost. Washi tape is mostly used in scrap booking and other paper crafting projects, however, it displays most all of the same qualities that make Tamiya tapes so popular with modelers. 

I bought 20 rolls of Washi tape for a mere $5.79, shipped to my door. Compare that with what 20 rolls of Tamiya tape would cost and the cost savings is HUGE.

Take the time to look for it on Ebay from the various sellers who are selling Washi tape. You won't be sorry you did.

Hey howya goin all, got this on friday a proxxon wood lathe and a 3 jaw chuck was going to get the 4 jaw as well but heard it was made out of plastic so if anyone knows of an aftermarket 4 jaw chuck that is made of metal that fits the proxxon micro DB 250 lathe can you let me know. Also got an extension base coming from texxn5 at http://www.proxxontoolsdiscount.com/ who is a sponsors of MSW, not cheat but I wanted one. Also got a brawplate from texxn5 coming to.

Thanks Eddie

Lathe 001.JPG

Lathe 002.JPG

Went down to Florida this weekend on family business and this managed to find it's way into the car. Jim is a very nice and quite man. Showed us around his shop. Some of the model shops I've seen on this forum are larger than were Jim makes his machines. The back room had over 20 machines ready to ship our this next week alone. He is a busy man.

20170318_183958.thumb.jpg.7baffa4b5f566b29c5cac236bffef832.jpg

Now I can make what ever size strips I need.

Mark

The deal came it 2 parts.  The local hardware outlet had a 1 day 15% off. I went to buy a less expensive saw but they couldn't find the two they were supposed to have in stock.  The manager was so embarrassed that when I pointed to the deWalt and said well how about that one at the same price he actually went for it.  Ended up getting it for slightly over $200 off.   I'm a happy customer so I guess they'll get it back in repeat business and goodwill.

Doug, that's one heck of a deal for the DeWalt saw.  I would also be curious to hear your opinion of the Byrnes Model Machines as well.  Next time I'm in your neck of the woods I'll have to bring a supply of wood, run up to your place and machine them down to size ;)

1st impressions are very positive.  As many have said here the machines are very nicely built they exude quality in the parts and the finishing.  I've only run a bit of scrap swiss pear through the saw and thickness sander.  I can't believe the difference between a strip of basswood and a strip of swiss pear!  I don't know if I can ever use basswood again (I exaggerate of course).  My wood budget will have to be increased.

IMG_1049.jpg.e589268d77b51c0d8a02855f3da62828.jpg

My next challenge is finding somewhere to work! Plus 1 celsius is ok for 15 or 20 minutes but when it rains tomorrow then I'm really out of luck.  

If you come wait 'til warmer weather - but not black fly season - the other reason I get driven indoors!