Kevin

What did you receive today?

Got one which actually looks quite nice. Both the Pontos set and the FlyHawk had them. I got a seperate black one from Asia too. All three fit prity good, and look to conform to scale.

I didn't receive these today, but they've been in storage since I got them.

A Byrnes Disk Sander and Thickness Sander

5910f18d71b72_disksander.thumb.jpg.e038facfa2672d3ab4cc991e33db0525.jpg

sander.thumb.jpg.2b031f6fb5b6fa6bf429dcc382208308.jpg

Also a proxxon Drill

drill.thumb.jpg.4667c8ac5c806f2fff58a8e7f4a4e495.jpg

These were actually Christmas and Birthday presents, but other then firing them up, they've been sitting in boxes since I didn't have anywhere to put them - my garage was full of furniture, which has now moved to my house in Florida and opened up my garage.  I'm building a workbench just for these wonderful tools.

Marc

Ron, I have the same dreadnought - it does look like a great kit, let me know what accessories you end up sourcing. Hobby Boss has come out with a new kit I just picked up, the pre-dreadnought French navy battleship Danton which also comes with PE.  They have also issued the Lord Nelson circa 1905 that I'm looking at.   Scott

At this time I plan on getting the USS North Carolina, and the USS Pittsburgh, in 1/700, and the USS Maine (Havana version) in 1/350. I'd like to get a USS South Carolina, but have only 2 options 1/144 semi-scale, or 1/350th, both running about $300. Be hard to sneak that past the Admiral, and my bank!

Hey howya goin all, got this in the mail today been after one of these for years but been to lazy to order one it's been like yeah I'll ordered it next time, its a grab handler by RP Toolz.    :bird-vi:

59131c38b060a_Tools030.thumb.JPG.aca4ab45b8468c96b9da543bf607d044.JPG

59131c3d8864b_Tools031.thumb.JPG.52c65671b3da7789370c96a954a66979.JPG

Eddie, I had to look up what a grab handler was. Now I know it is a tool for making grab handles -Duh!

My wife got me for my birthday last month tickets on a Boston Harbor Cruise boat for a harbor cruise when the tall ships will be here next month. I can't wait.

I also got some scalpels from China yesterday that look pretty useful.

I've received a few things this week...all centered around starting the last phase of my Bluenose build (masting and rigging).

Now that the ship is about to get a lot taller, I needed a place to put it when I want it off the workbench.  So I went ahead and ordered the bookcase that I've been eyeing for a while.  This short bookcase will be the final home for the Bluenose once it is finished.  Matched to the rest of my home office furniture (I've had the tall one for a few years). (Still need to install the lighting...that's on order.)

P1050896.thumb.jpg.4f5cf8f9f3e87bdfac1c1b9fe9e9e4dc.jpg

Also received a new set of tweezers, which probably wouldn't be exciting for anyone other than us :)  Nothing fancy, but I noticed while rigging my bowsprit that all my existing tweezers are getting pretty worn.  This new set should hold me over for a build or two.

P1050900.thumb.jpg.ebfdd2641a79f43eddbc7270a07fc59f.jpg

And last, I received the set of tiny brass bolts I ordered from Model Motorcars.  These fit perfectly into a hole drilled with a #69 drill bit, and I'll be using them to secure shackles while rigging my Bluenose.  

P1050884.thumb.jpg.6a0766a87f5307cf6655443395be1aed.jpg

1 hour ago, dvm27 said:

Probably my most useful purchase in recent years. These chisels are well honed and cut to perfection. Some of the tips are so small I can only see them with my Optivisor. 

AND they are completely stupid cheap for what they are. No really, STUPID cheap, you could turn around and sell them on EBay for 100% profit easy.

Here's the closest competition I'm aware of, Two Cherries are German and not bad at all but having used some of their tools, Mikhail's tap steel is better. And this set is 14 instead of the 22 I got, and is TWICE as expensive. I've tried to tell Mikhail he could start charging $450 instead of the $300 range he's at and no one would even blink, but all he says is "my price is normal for Russia." 

5414_HK.jpg

I've tried to tell Mikhail he could start charging $450 instead of the $300 range

Why would someone else have to pay more than you vossie!?!?!?!?!?

It was more of a I want him to be really excited about continuing this business :) I'm not nearly done ordering from him and in fact I have the below knives on order, I made a nice pretty picture to limit the issues in using Google translate. And I will very likely get a second smaller set with pencil handles to go along with my full set with palm handles. Latter are better for carving, former is better for general ship-building joinery use, although I'll probably ask for somewhat shorter handles, IMO the pencil ones are longer than they need to be and will interfere in some cases.

The pointers at the bottom are telling him to include a 2mm brass rod in the center if possible, I prefer tools to have a bit more mass than his very light knives do. The first one is double bevel the other four are matching left/right single bevel.

5914b50dab63e_knivesnew.thumb.png.849c6ab104bd652fd6763631b2a22bb5.png

Roof shingles finally showed up this morning. Manufacturer allegedly was having production problems with the 30 year shingles we ordered so finally after two weeks they upgraded us no charge to the 50 year shingle in the color and specification we ordered which was in stock. We wanted a high wind resistant, solar reflecting color and finish which is a step up from a normal shingle.

DSCN9430.thumb.jpg.6552c5648ecb570da601ea73f351b53a.jpg

Here they are going up on the roof by the delivery truck.

DSCN9431.thumb.jpg.e2694bcb850f17f6c88007005c25b4f2.jpg

49 minutes ago, Jack12477 said:

Love the brand name on those bundles, Ken.    Good Irish brand!  Hmmmmmmm! ;):)

There ya go ... What's wrong with calling it an American brand :P:)

Ken,

You got a nice deal due to production problems

2 hours ago, cog said:

There ya go ... What's wrong with calling it an American brand :P:)

Ken,

You got a nice deal due to production problems

But the Shamrock [in the logo] is not American - it's Irish !  And the name is Irish.  So even tho it's an American owned company it's still an Irish brand [name] !  ;):P:)

On 5/11/2017 at 7:07 PM, architectnavalis said:

Great woodworking tools.

I got some literature today, but more of the "social history" kind. Next time it will be some modelling related stuff :)

18471917_1462354633815830_1618151939_o.jpg

Nice books!  Someday I would like to check some of those out.  Maybe also this one...

Fiddlers and Whores: The Candid Memoirs of a Surgeon in Nelson's Fleet

16 hours ago, reklein said:

Thing I hated most was buying a perpetual roof when I'm 72 years old.

Yes, at 70 one wonders; however, since the kids will eventually inherit it I am glad it will last that long and will be a long term investment. The grand kids will be in their 50's when it needs to be replaced again. :cheers: