Kevin

What did you receive today?

Finally gave into old man eyes and took a chance on these.  Seem very lightweight and the variety of lens seem nice.  Looking forward to trying them out. They have the ear pieces as well as an interchangeable elastic head strap which seems like a good option.  (Also very inexpensive)

IMG_4029.jpg.427b3680c002022970a82ed3e0c1533f.jpg

39 minutes ago, donrobinson said:

Those look like they are a good quality product. Where did you find them?

If you were talking about the magnifying glasses I found them on Amazon. 😁Here's the link

Having opened and quickly reviewed the Trumpeter HMS Dreadnought and USS Texas kits, here is my first impressions.

Both kits are well molded, as expected.

The USS Texas seems to have all the required PE for all the railings, but the HMS Dreadnought, does not include any PE for the main deck railings. The Dreadnought instructions do not show them, so it is not a problem of missing parts, in the kit. I will invest in a set of PE railings for her. Both could benefit from after market wood decks (see next).

I'm thinking that I will invest in a wood deck for the Dreadnought. Artworx(sp), I think. The Hunter Chinese company, on Ebay, I'm not sure of the quality. The only concern I have is that the thickness of the deck will make some of the smaller low details, less visible. For the Texas, I think I'll go with their "Blue Deck Decal", and build her painted as she is now as a museum ship. The decal will keep me from having to mask all those deck projections, something that I'm not sure I could do well without damaging the first color. There is another company that makes a wood deck for the Texas, but you need to shave off all the raised detail. They sell a whole kit that you then use to replace all that detail, and you would need to buy the whole kit to use with their deck. Way too expensive, 3 times what I paid for the Trumpeter kit!

I plan, for now, to build these models, out of the box, perhaps with a few upgrades. If I buy and try to install all the PE available, I fear, I'll get bogged down, and never complete them. I already have more kits then I'll ever be able to complete in my lifetime. At least I have a great selection to pick from! I have looked at the Eduard(sp) complete PE kit for the Texas, but again, I'm not sure I'd ever finish. I'd rather have good models, and build more, than only build a few museum quality ones.

I'm going to tell my family not to just throw out any kits left when I pass, hopefully many years from now, but sell them. I have very few "junk" kits, and it would be a waste.

A further note on both kits, and several other modern warship kits I've looked at. None seem to provide the gun barrel shrouds/covers, that went between the barrels and the turret face, as a weather shield. Solid ones would prevent you from elevating the barrels, but the turrets look incomplete without them.

26 minutes ago, thibaultron said:

A further note on both kits, and several other modern warship kits I've looked at. None seem to provide the gun barrel shrouds/covers, that went between the barrels and the turret face, as a weather shield. Solid ones would prevent you from elevating the barrels, but the turrets look incomplete without them.

Hi Ron

Here is a tip on how you can make blast bags (that's the term you're looking for) for little to nothing, using Blue Tac. You can buy Blue Tac for about a dollar at WalMart.

Hope this helps.

http://www.thewebernets.com/2015/01/05/how-to-make-quick-easy-blast-bags-for-scale-ship-models/

56 minutes ago, thibaultron said:

Thanks for the tip!

Besides Blue Tack, modelers have used several different mediums to create blast bags in the past. Including sculpting putty, wet tissue paper, and I imagine even light weight foil could be used.

The nice thing about Blue Tac is that it can easily be taken off and reworked if you don't like the way it looks the first time.

5 hours ago, CDW said:

Hi Ron

Here is a tip on how you can make blast bags (that's the term you're looking for) for little to nothing, using Blue Tac. You can buy Blue Tac for about a dollar at WalMart.

Hope this helps.

http://www.thewebernets.com/2015/01/05/how-to-make-quick-easy-blast-bags-for-scale-ship-models/

He is actually building a Yamato class battleship!!! Thanks for the link Mr Bunny

Finally after three weeks the roof is going on. Got all excited on Friday when the shingles arrived and stacked on the roof. They did a great job holding the roof down over the weekend, even after we were told that a crew would show up Saturday morning. The crew was a no show but came this morning. We were told that it was too windy on Saturday; however today they are working against 35 mph gusts this afternoon. keeping fingers crossed that they will finish today.

5919f7af72094_Roof03.thumb.jpg.085ae2bcba6b809d4da07a11040d9316.jpg

This weekend I received three items, two books and a model.

591a558183629_TexasBook.thumb.JPG.23d415c26747862f2f39f2c521dbaf7b.JPG

591a557c85aff_DreadBook.thumb.JPG.02a9e66ab283bf0ad081ec35b3384e32.JPG

Pittsburgh.thumb.JPG.0e793ae2744147dcbe628d2107dca6ae.JPG

The Dreadnought book is published by the vehicle repair manual company Haynes. I bought it hoping that it would have detailed drawings of Dreadnought, alas no. It is a history of the Dreadnoughts from 1906 to 1916. While it does have nice detailed interior and gun drawings, it is more of a general history, than a book for a modeler looking to build a specific ship. It is, however, a nice read.

The USS Pittsburgh, I bought, as I lived there for several years. As a bonus, she is a Baltimore class cruiser, and I also lived in Baltimore for several years. So she represents some personal ties. One strange thing about the kit though, the upper hull is two pieces cross wise. The fore part of the hull extends to about aft of the rear turret, and then the second piece completes the hull. That joint may be hard to hide. The first few ships of the Baltimore class had the, then, standard midships catapults, and the later, Pittsburgh being one of them, had aft catapults. So I guess Trumpeter decided to simplify production by splitting the hull thously, I would have chosen two different hulls, but they are the experts. I'll post some pictures later. This kit offers either a full or waterline hull option. I may buy some PE for her, but the parts are really small, and my hands not as steady as they were.

In the near future I plan to get the USS Augusta, as I live near there at the present. The only option for her, unfortunately, is waterline. There are no kits of the North Hampton, or Indianapolis offered in 1/700, at least none that I have found. I may have to try making the hull bottom, I prefer full hull models.

12 minutes ago, thibaultron said:

The Dreadnought book is published by the vehicle repair manual company Haynes. I bought it hoping that it would have detailed drawings of Dreadnought, alas no. It is a history of the Dreadnoughts from 1906 to 1916.

You want the Dreadnought book in the Super Drawings in 3D series, where they build extremely detailed 3D models of ships and then show them from every conceivable angle. For WWI they also have Warspite, Baden, and the CL Emden. Well and Hood, but she doesn't really count for WWI.

I know about the 3D Dreadnought book, but at $75 and up, it's a little too expensive. I may change my mind at some point in the future, but for now, it will have to be something cheaper. I had bought one on Ebay, but the seller backed out of the deal.

Oh and I forgot they also have the Queen Mary battlecruiser in that series, which is funny because I own it. If you're wondering, it's worth $100 if you want to make a very nice Dreadnought model. There really is nothing left to the imagination.

Also while you're at it, I recommend Oscar Parkes' British Battleships, it's one of the better encyclopedias I've read and intersperses chapters about ship classes with chapters about formative events, like there's a good chapter on Tsushima and the lessons the British took from it in ship design.

Also for extremely high quality photos, I recommend Clydebank Battlecruisers: Forgotten Photos From John Brown's Shipyard, showing the building of Indefatigable, Tiger, and Hood. The detail is amazing for photos of the time. And also The British Battleship Builders which has similar quality photos of battleships under construction. I have looked at that one in a while, I think it has Dreadnought.

2 hours ago, thibaultron said:

I know about the 3D Dreadnought book, but at $75 and up, it's a little too expensive. I may change my mind at some point in the future, but for now, it will have to be something cheaper. I had bought one on Ebay, but the seller backed out of the deal.

Understand, yeah it's out of print now. And the Iowa and Arizona ones are selling for $475 now. So if folks have any interest in battleship era capital ships, you should probably buy them while they're still in print and $22.

However the point stands - I think it's worth it at $75 for the extreme detail of every angle and part of the ship it shows, armed with that book you're not looking for the details to model, you're deciding which details you're NOT modeling.

Another good book for WWI modeling - Thunderer, Building a Model Dreadnought. The author scratchbuilds a very nice 1/96 version. Thunderer was one of the Orion class, what I think of as the first "real" battleships with quite accurate 13.5"/L45 guns and they were figuring out the correct turret layout with superfiring. Although I think Jellicoe still insisted on open sighting hoods which would make life suck for the guys in A and Y turrets. Also the first super-dreadnoughts. It's too bad the QE class gets all the attention.

513-DSqvuHL._SX375_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Gerhard, isn't it amazing how a pile of material can transform into something nice looking as a model.

My co-workers didn't believe me when I shown them my longboat, and told them I built it from just a box of "sticks" and "formers".

It was first after that I show this website and my build log they went; WOW, that's tiny,  is it fragile? How can you do such a model?

Looking forward to see this engine coming to life. 

1 hour ago, Nirvana said:

Gerhard, isn't it amazing how a pile of material can transform into something nice looking as a model.

My co-workers didn't believe me when I shown them my longboat, and told them I built it from just a box of "sticks" and "formers".

It was first after that I show this website and my build log they went; WOW, that's tiny,  is it fragile? How can you do such a model?

Looking forward to see this engine coming to life. 

Hi Dr. Per

It is indeed! But there will be a long way to go, just the raw system of the engines is "in my head" formed, some sketches will be made soon, just working on the engine mounts. BTW, the rest of ordered wood arrived just a few minutes ago, hooray!

Regards

Gerhard

Hey Jesse - I ordered the tweezers off Amazon.  They are 'Pixnor' brand - about $12 USD for the whole set.  I've been pretty happy with them over the last few days.  For the cost, they are really solid (my biggest complaint with tweezers is when they 'flex').

I just received this special little tool that makes eye bolts.  I saw it in a big-box craft store last week and it looked interesting, so I went home and looked it up, then ordered it off Amazon for $20.  You stick a piece of wire in, and in one motion it cuts, bends, and shapes an eye bolt.  The 1.5mm version creates eye bolts that look almost identical to the ones provided with my Model Shipways Bluenose kit.  Making an eye bolt with this takes under 5 seconds, and they are very, very consistent.  The tool is made by 'Bead Smith'.  This is their smallest version at 1.5mm.  They also have 2.25mm and 3.0mm versions.

The longer eye bolt is the one created with the tool, the shorter one is from my kit.

P1060069.thumb.jpg.ee0beb419283536a50c228f10e36c5a2.jpg

P1060071.thumb.jpg.1d26279d808fd407f2e76e2e2f6d14fb.jpg

23 minutes ago, genericDave said:

Hey Joe!  I ordered it from Amazon - here's a link, but it is probably available from a bunch of craft retailers.  It is called a '1 Step Looper', and is made by Bead Smith (found under the 'tools' section on their website).

Hi Dave

Saved them, thank you for that good hint!

Regards

Gerhard

Just received the plans for the Galley Washington from the Nautical Research Guild.  I saw earlier that they were out-of-stock.  So I emailed NRG inquiring about them, and a really nice lady there emailed me that they would get more in stock soon, and then once they did, she emailed me again to let me know they were in stock AND gave me a nice discount coupon just for waiting.  Great service, and I'm very happy to get these for a future project!  8^D

Squadron Model Shop (MMD) sent me a second 30% discount offer with my last order, but it had to be used this month. Being a sucker for good discounts, I found some nice Vallejo paint sets, some German Kriegsmarine battle flag decals, and this model.

This is the 1:350 Trumpeter model of the Italian Battleship Roma. The parts appear to be first rate with slide mold technology being employed. I was surprised at how large this ship turns out to be when compared to some of my other 1:350 models. I've got a complete detail set coming for it this week from another vendor.

DSCN0893 edited.jpg

DSCN0894 edited.jpg

DSCN0895 edited.jpg

Hey howya goin all, I got this today, I was going to use the money to get wood for my scratch build ships but I cracked, I broke down the pressure got to me I just had to have one.   :bird-vi:5927da77ddad0_Tools039.thumb.JPG.2cb4d93a41b9771eb796959e9c6f3a26.JPG