Kevin

What did you receive today?

hi all

another addition to the growing library!

seamanship in the age of sail.......£15 ebay

jean boudriot history of the french frigate    £65 ebay ouch !(but couldnt resist as all copies i found online were £140 plus.....£350 in blue leather binding!!!!)

keep the reading quota busy for a while

cheers...mick

P1020788.JPG

P1020789.JPG

P1020790.JPG

P1020791.JPG

Scalecoat 1 paint, Ron. It's a lacquer, so spray in your booth. Gloves and a good organic solvent mask, too. You can bake the the brass in a toaster oven at 120F, or inside your spray booth with a 100W incandescent bulb, if you have any left. Otherwise, you risk turning the loco back into a kit of parts, if it gets too hot.

On 6/3/2019 at 4:59 PM, Jack12477 said:

Got these two kits in the mail today (sorry for the glare - didn't remove the cellophane wrapper)

IMG_7227.JPG.a3dc284f230794c96f876388a8928855.JPGIMG_7228.JPG.ddc36646afc66d5f578505750bf95930.JPG

I just came across this post. I expect you'll enjoy building the MBZ 540K Cabriolet B. I think the 540Ks are one of the most beautiful cars ever built. I believe the 540K Spezial Roadsters  were all built with bespoke coachwork, and I expect so were many of the Cabriolets, so they all are a bit different. Only twenty-five of the 540K Spezial Roadsters were ever built and, I believe there's only eight left in existence. A 540K Roadster holds the record for the highest price ever paid for an automobile at $11,770.000 in 2012. It's owner, a Prussian baroness, bought the car new and owned it until her death in 1989.. The 540K Cabriolets are selling for between $1.25M and $2.5M these days.

I once had a seven eighths scale replica of the Marlene, the 540K roadster built for Marlene Dietreich. It had a four barrel short block 350 with a hurst tranny in it and went like a bat outta hell. It was sure a head-turner in traffic! Like all "Big Boy Toys," it was an impulse purchase. I did some minor restoration work on it and had fun with it for about a year and then the novelty wore off. Fortunately, I tripled my investment on the deal, so the Boss forgave me for buying it. :D 

Be sure and post some pictures when you get the model done!

My fiberglass replica.

1835773784_Mercedes540K.png.c4bebb8e483f2e487432752686b060b8.png

1936 Mercedes advertisement.

An advertising shot of the Mercedes-Benz 540K Spezial Roadster from 1936
Edited by Bob Cleek

I found this thread on painting brass locos, much the same advise as Canute. There is some info that would pertain to painting brass in general.

Here is the first of a two part one, that shows how to clean the brass, after stripping it. The link above says to remove the paint first, or you can leave rough spots on the brass. In the link below he removes it with the blasting first and still has to remove some left over with solvent. He does swhow though the "sand" blasting proccess.

Edited by thibaultron
Adding a link

If you get the urge to try "sand" blasting, get a specialized airbrush for it. You can use the Aluminum Oxide (as shown in the picture above) as a blasting medium, but it can damage your model, so test first. Baking soda is a gentler medium and works well on plastic and resin. But practice with that, too.

5 hours ago, lmagna said:

Hi Kevin

Are you going to build her as the Komet, or as the Una?

I have been thinking about those options, i am looking as well to see if i could make her into  a royal yacht, from another country, slowly going through lots of google research

Komet

image.jpeg.4bddfb0d24265e93f14ef4886fc07f5e.jpeg

Una

1606962.jpg.df59df83909bbb41d11f5569a3a89711.jpg

Edited by Kevin

Not exactly royal I suppose but the only US Presidential yachts that come close would be the Dispatch of 1873 and the Sylph of 1890. I don't know about the measurements but the looks are similar. Personally I think the Komet/Una looks slightly better than either one of them.

i opened the box last night and was very surprised at the contents, the hull is thin but moulded very well, the white metal fitting are far superior to the trawler ones i have in build, i think this will make a very nice addition to my fleet, 

the royal yacht idea is because i would like to change the hull colour to a royal blue, and have some gold lines, no other reason

24 minutes ago, lmagna said:

Not exactly royal I suppose but the only US Presidential yachts that come close would be the Dispatch of 1873 and the Sylph of 1890. I don't know about the measurements but the looks are similar. Personally I think the Komet/Una looks slightly better than either one of them.

i read ealier today that she also had a third name AKUNA

On 9/26/2019 at 2:27 PM, lmagna said:

My dad served on the Sylph (with a gunner mate by the name of Ernest Borgnine) in WW2.  Same Sylph?

EDIT: The Sylph from 1943 was a second yacht - the steam Sylph (PY-5) served as a Presidential Yacht for all presidents from McKinley to Wilson and was decommissioned in 1929.  The WW2 Sylph (PY-12) never served as a Presidential Yacht.

Edited by trippwj

Received this book yesterday. Nicely illustrated with several line drawings. About 13" X 11.5", 159 pages. I've been looking at this one for a while, but it was in the $50+ range. Last week there were several offered for less than $20, used, with shipping, so I bought it!

PH_Book_01.thumb.JPG.72550438841b822d9e913b2a225f0183.JPG

PH_Book_02.thumb.JPG.a4b48aaec0a1d33867fdf06b05008c5e.JPG

The above pictures were taken with my "newish" camera. My very older camera a 5Meg Pixel camera served for a long time, but has been failing to focus consistently, lately. I bought a used 14 MP camera to replace it, but that one did not allow you to force the flash when doing close ups.  This one does, but when I bought it it did not have the USB cable to both charge and xfer pictures with. Last month I bought an external charger, with an extra battery, and a short USB cable. The cable then crawled off somewhere around my messy desk, and fell into a black hole! Last week I bough another (long) USB cable, so I can once again start taking pictures.

Camera_01.JPG.2232b989bebcbc3146d5d67a44cee746.JPG

On 10/30/2018 at 4:43 AM, Backer said:

I downloaded it from the Billings site when this was still possible.
Sent it as an attachment in a pm to you

Hello, I am from Argentina and have the same problem, I have the Kit which apprears to have all the pieces but no plans nor instructions, could you send to me? thank you, Axel.

On 10/30/2018 at 4:43 AM, Backer said:

I downloaded it from the Billings site when this was still possible.
Sent it as an attachment in a pm to you

Hello guys! I have the same problem, I am from Argentina, I have a kit which seems to have all the parts, but no plan nor instructions, any chance you could send it to me? thank you!