Kevin

What did you receive today?

Well, I haven't received anything yet, but I did find out just now that air mail service from Poland has been re-established. So I took advantage and ordered myself two nice card models from Halinski. The first will be the Brewster B-239 in Finnish winter camouflage. I already boogered my first attempt on that one, but hopefully I will be well enough aware of the pitfalls for a second go-around. The second model is a Gloster Gladiator in the colors of the famous Hal Far Flight from the defense of Malta. I also ordered laser-cut formers and vacu-formed canopies for both kits. Can't wait!

On 4/13/2020 at 1:10 AM, Nirvana said:

20200412_163752.thumb.jpg.ac0abb4746814c46d8fb5fa2596bd6bf.jpg

Do you ever glance quickly at a photograph and, for a brief few seconds, see the image as totally something it patently isn’t?

First thing I saw here was one of those low temporary buildings like the ones that have recently been built as overflow coronavirus hospitals.  The metal grating did nothing to make me see the image for what it really was - it became the grid lines for the car parking lot.

Once I knew it was a door, I couldn’t see that hospital any more ...

I am guessing you did not even notice the giant dog in the background. Although I guess if the door is a building then the dog could be a snow covered mountain?

Just to update the seller has agreed to a return of the photo etch parts and has already sent a return shipping label. Very nice of them. I will be giving them a very complimentary review.

1 hour ago, Osmosis said:

I am guessing you did not even notice the giant dog in the background. Although I guess if the door is a building then the dog could be a snow covered mountain?

Just to update the seller has agreed to a return of the photo etch parts and has already sent a return shipping label. Very nice of them. I will be giving them a very complimentary review.

"The snow covered mountain" - Dog, her name is  Mersaide - called shortly Saide - a wordplay of Mercedes

2 hours ago, probablynot said:

Do you ever glance quickly at a photograph and, for a brief few seconds, see the image as totally something it patently isn’t?

First thing I saw here was one of those low temporary buildings like the ones that have recently been built as overflow coronavirus hospitals.  The metal grating did nothing to make me see the image for what it really was - it became the grid lines for the car parking lot.

Once I knew it was a door, I couldn’t see that hospital any more …

Deceiving ….. lol, I can use sketchup and create a hospital using the picture, with parking lots

I received the replacement wheels for my Napoleon Canon and Limber kit. However they same as the incorrect wheels that came with the kit in the first place and there where only two. The picture shows the 4 wheels that came with the kit on the right. And the 2 replacement wheels on the left. Obviously the same parts and not enough of them anyway.

20200509_082823.thumb.jpg.5200549e9f14feb137087d50f6280460.jpg

Bummer!

I actually received this on my way home from work on Tuesday.

20200504_170917.thumb.jpg.ba4c66b12d40548b30aafab962ae782d.jpg

OOOOOOOUCH!!!!! Everyone is OK.

I was driving on I-95 which is under construction and when I got to one of the places where they are actually working, traffic came to a complete stop. The guy behind me was looking at his cell phone and never even hit the brakes. I know it does not look like it but he was going fast enough that his car was totaled. I will tell you what these Hyundai's are well built.

The worst of it is that it is the Admirals car. She has been unable to work since she had surgery in late December so I was driving her car just to burn some gas through it and spin the tires a little bit. Needless to say she is not very happy.

The good news is that (a.) Evey one was OK. and (b.) He had insurance and it is already being repaired and should be done by the end of next week.

Stay safe out there.

I have been hit in the same way a couple of times. Seems like vehicles are sturdier when being in the rear.

Sorry about the accident,  never fun with the whole insurance process even though the other party has taken the liability.  

The new machine.

Left the carbureted version for battery.
Got an extra battery 50% more powerful than the included for half price.
Best part we supported a local family business.

No more messing with gas and oil.

177523935_Newlawnmover.thumb.jpg.b52f2a5cfad57aaa030ceeab26c24894.jpg

1 hour ago, probablynot said:

Received yesterday.  Fifteen metres of knicker elastic.  I've been making masks for the neighbours ...

DSCN0740r.JPG

I wished you lived near me, trying to get a face mask is near impossible for me. Well done my friend for looking after your neighbors Brian 

Over the last few years most personal expenses were related to modelling. However, I was also a keen cyclist in a previous life and as I get older and less flexible, my trusted old mountain bike has become a true pain. So time for a new steed!

20200510_095926.thumb.jpg.52fbf7e35454e3d43a3340f64880be5c.jpg

What a difference, I should have bought a new bike years ago. Strangely much more comfortable and of course faster. I moved the cleats in my shoes 6 mm back and that also transformed things. Not all good though, the gears (Shimano 105) are junk compared to my SLX and I do miss my triplet chainrings. I guess I need to get fitter. The saddle also is too narrow so a new one is on the way. 

5 hours ago, BLACK VIKING said:

I wished you lived near me, trying to get a face mask is near impossible for me. Well done my friend for looking after your neighbors Brian 

I’ve PM’d you!

10 hours ago, BLACK VIKING said:

I've been making masks for the neighbours

My wife's made them for the family. Currently, since we're pretty much self-isolated except for shopping, and our community infection rate is very low, they hardly get any use - except that she's been wearing one while she mixes up mortar for our new garden path and retaining walls. Makes a huge difference. (What have I been doing while she works so hard, you ask? I haven't got off scot-free bay any means. I'm the beast of burden, moving bricks, bags of mortar, big rocks, barrow loads of sand etc).

And she bought me this set of small chisels from the local art supplies shop.

20200511_124144.thumb.jpg.a1ad1611dc0f54e4273185a7ec399981.jpg

Yes they were cheap and basic, but the steel is surprisingly good and holds an edge surprisingly well. I touched one of them up with 1200 grit wet 'n' dry sandpaper and it became razor sharp.

And it's filled a gap in my carving technique I didn't know I had. The blades are about 1mm thick, about 3 times as thick as the craft knife, so they're considerably more rigid. Which means when I'm removing rather larger amounts of wood the blade doesn't bend and shimmy. A great benefit and a very welcome addition to my tool kit.

Steven 

On 5/9/2020 at 10:01 PM, Nirvana said:

The new machine.

That is better than gas.  When I was a pup,  mowers were transitioning from human power push mowers, past motors on the push mower blades, to rotary mowers.  I was assigned a rotary.  My father did not teach me the discipline of maintenance, so I spent a lot of time pulling a rope, trying to get the bloody thing to start.  It would have been faster and better for my fitness if it had been a push mower.  It sure would have taught me not to wait too long before mowing sessions.  For the size of most yards, a push mower may do.   Now, for the 5 acres I had in KY, a JD 25 HP with a cat 1 three blade deck @ 11 mph was barely enough.    Knowing now what I wish I paid attention to,  I would have lifted the deck after each session and removed the wet grass stuck on the underside.  Then it would not have rusted out.

3 hours ago, Jasseji said:

@usedtosail

Also not sure if i should post a build log, received it yesterday, after 6 hours we are only 2/3 through the build :D  

97065685_2990971177616042_7960377761766309888_o.jpg

I really want to pick that set up! Are you building the ship or the island shipwreck?

1 hour ago, VTHokiEE said:

I really want to pick that set up! Are you building the ship or the island shipwreck?

We went with the shipwreck but i plan to pick up some extra parts before i turn it into the ship (some improvements/mods are suggested for it on rebrickable)

1 hour ago, Roger Pellett said:

It looks like you’re getting lots of help from the cat!

Roger

By help you mean 'hide parts so it takes longer to build' then yea, more fun :D

15 hours ago, Jasseji said:

@usedtosail

Also not sure if i should post a build log, received it yesterday, after 6 hours we are only 2/3 through the build :D  

97065685_2990971177616042_7960377761766309888_o.jpg

I can see the appeal of a build kit like that.  But do they still sell boxes of well-assorted building blocks with an instruction sheet that just says “use your imagination”?

47 minutes ago, Nirvana said:

Brian,

You can order bricks directly from Lego if you want to.

Lego Brick

Not the point!  Lego used to just sell bricks.  Now they sell Ideas.  It was more stimulating when they just sold bricks!

But of course, they can charge more for ideas than they can charge for bricks ...

What often happens, speaking from personal experience with my son, is that if they are too young they “play” with these built kits and within a few months they are in enough pieces that nobody will ever spend the time to figure out how to put it together again based on the 100 page assembly instruction and then they end up in the big Rubbermaid LEGO box. Home to all the misfit LEGO pieces. Then you end up with what amounts to a box of imagination. Now that my son is older he builds and displays so not the same issue.  The Saturn V rocket is awesome btw. 

If it's just a barrel of Legos you want, keep your eyes open on Fleabay and even local second hand shops.   I saw a small barrel (5 gal. US) filled with blocks for $5 recently.