Kevin

What did you receive today?

1 hour ago, Blue Ensign said:

… I only ordered it yesterday.

… from?

That is fast! I would appreciate hearing from whom and the quality as I am just taking stock and already see I need to place an order somewhere.

11 hours ago, Jack12477 said:

My son sent me a link to an Instagram post from Bandai for their Ramin Noodle Shrimp kit.  See Ramin noodle  scroll right when you get there to see the whole kit 

Interesting link.  My only question is "why"?  Did they do it "because they can"?

6 hours ago, mtaylor said:

My only question is "why"?  Did they do it "because they can"?

My son thinks they did it partly as a joke and partly to say "look what we can do".   He thinks it is a challenge to the resin kit manufacturers and other plastic kit manufacturers.  

On 5/30/2020 at 4:03 PM, Nirvana said:

Boling, there's no kits available that's for sure. This is the time when you are entering the "Dark Side", scratch building. 

Sjöhistoriska museet has a lot of information about these type of boats.

And Eskader has a plan ready to use for scratch building of Roslagsskuta called Lovisa. I have those plans.

Actually I received the plans for "Lovisa" on Wednesday. Looks interesting, and challenging.

20200607_105502.thumb.jpg.24eed04e93c5e0d930d6ab8ee36c7714.jpg

There is no stated original on the plans, but they looks to be very similar to (or based on) this drawing from Sjöhistoriska museet, which says that they are made from measurements of an unnamed real vessel.

Rospigg_(ritning).jpg.63ca69d12de671d9a95f1444d855ca18.jpg

Bolin, 

Roslagsskutor type Lovisa was very common, a long Strandvagen in Stockholm it was a common sight. As they came in fully loaded with silltunnor, (barrels with herring) or fish in general. And brought back wheat and other goods to the people living in the archipelago. Österåkers kommun has the roslags skutan as a flag sign.

Two things...   I commissioned a "boat portrait" of our boat Northern Star and received the the digital proof today.   The actual painting is coming in the mail soon.

20200606_212906.thumb.jpeg.42cf3cbd917d870739f41d99283fadd3.jpeg

And the latest "Mariners Mirror," which looks like an interesting issue.   Especially the article on Bligh's Glasses.

IMG_1324.thumb.jpeg.35290f0c145713c568c8a11915adca54.jpegIMG_1325.thumb.jpeg.143d08f98796e8aae269d77b9479cd50.jpeg

Mr May's book "The boats of Men of War", very pleased to have it.

I have been telling myself I am going to make the ship boats for my Mermaid, thought I had

better learn something about them. Took 4 weeks to arrive from Englaland.

Still waiting for a little model, posted from the states on April 13th, fingers crossed, soon.

Hooroo Chris

20200610_184357.thumb.jpg.8bcbefe7d536a05d28bc814064dc404a.jpg

I got a highly anticipated vacuum cleaner for my workshop to connect with my disc sander. So no more cleaning the whole basement and the stairs after a modeling session. Also got some pencils with different hardness that will hopefully make simulated chalking much easier.

D1BB7D5C-86D8-44E3-AB83-9EE82010DCD5.jpeg

F9BA2466-9141-47B1-A09E-2E228841CB76.jpeg

Finally!

The long awaited package from Italy has arrived...

DSCN1174.thumb.JPG.c1cfd741f9a139799941c2c02c6ea5ab.JPG

Hopefully containing the deck materials for my Bluenose and some other goodies... 😎

DSCN1175.thumb.JPG.2bebd7956f0312cf288323abeb4b00b7.JPG

Hmmm.. 🤔

After some digging in the styrofoam..

Voila!

DSCN1176.thumb.JPG.26005f2b5e67b1fb12e2ac2339f4cf8f.JPG

More than I remembered ordering!

I think I got a touch of that contagious "add-to-cartism"!

I guess shopoholic and shipoholic is closely related! 😆

Anyway, lots of new toys and projects for the winter. It makes me feel good to have a couple of kits "on the shelf"!

I'm a happy modeller today!

Cheers,

Gaffrig.

Gaffrig, 

I was to say, "I know this Covid-19/20 makes people to order weird stuff", and you did it.

Ordering styrofoam from Italy....😀😎.

Lady Nelson and Pegasus, very nice.

I do have to add that the treatment center for shipaholics are open, if you need help.....lol, it's just a click away.

Don't feel bad, Gaffrig.   I suspect they are related.  Went online today to order one item I need for the shop and then it was "oh.. I need something else".  Currently HMS Visa is going down by the stern.

On 7/3/2020 at 5:41 PM, Nirvana said:

Gaffrig, 

I was to say, "I know this Covid-19/20 makes people to order weird stuff", and you did it.

Ordering styrofoam from Italy....😀😎.

Lady Nelson and Pegasus, very nice.

I do have to add that the treatment center for shipaholics are open, if you need help.....lol, it's just a click away.

Well... I guess treatment is needed when ordering styrofoam from Italy! 😂

I might have to take you up on that offer!

13 hours ago, mtaylor said:

Don't feel bad, Gaffrig.   I suspect they are related.  Went online today to order one item I need for the shop and then it was "oh.. I need something else".  Currently HMS Visa is going down by the stern.

I know what you mean.. I heard a mayday call from HMS Visa a while back. Noone has seen or heard anything since.. 😂

On 7/3/2020 at 8:39 AM, Gaffrig said:

Finally!

The long awaited package from Italy has arrived...

DSCN1174.thumb.JPG.c1cfd741f9a139799941c2c02c6ea5ab.JPG

Hopefully containing the deck materials for my Bluenose and some other goodies... 😎

DSCN1175.thumb.JPG.2bebd7956f0312cf288323abeb4b00b7.JPG

Hmmm.. 🤔

After some digging in the styrofoam..

Voila!

DSCN1176.thumb.JPG.26005f2b5e67b1fb12e2ac2339f4cf8f.JPG

More than I remembered ordering!

I think I got a touch of that contagious "add-to-cartism"!

I guess shopoholic and shipoholic is closely related! 😆

Anyway, lots of new toys and projects for the winter. It makes me feel good to have a couple of kits "on the shelf"!

I'm a happy modeller today!

Cheers,

Gaffrig.

Nice haul!  The Pegasus is a fantastic kit, and the Lady Nelson looks excellent as well.  I also really like the Keel Klamper.

What do people use the anvil for?

HMS Visa is like a ghost ship, it appears when wanting to be seen, then disappear leaving you  wondering  how did a package materialize with items inside.

Definitely a mystery, which probably can't be solved with any of today's modern technology. 😁

My HMS Visa is a real beast to captain, it keeps telling things will only get dearer might as well buy them now.

I only hope i live long enough!!!!!

Finally got my Victory Models Vanguard Kit. 

I bought the kit Dave B was selling in the Marketplace a few days back, and it was literally two days to my business.  Dave’s a great guy, and I’m sure we’ll run into each other in person soon enough. 

What an amazing kit, all 35 pounds of it.  It’s 1/72, so slightly off from my chosen scale of 1/64, but close enough for Government work.

I expect I’ll get a couple more Vanguard Models kits after my Speedy build before I tackle this one, but a study of the hull instructions shows similar thing to my Speedy, just on much larger surface area.

My heart beats for Bellerophon, but apparently, she’s the only one of the three to not use resin transom carvings.

We will investigate this phenomenon sooner or later.

I’m the first to admit, I have a serious stash problem. I see stashes seem not as prevalent in the wooden ship community, but in the plastic aircraft world, they’re a thing of beauty..... 

1020CD94-E71B-45E4-9BFD-34EB3D71CBB2.jpeg

Received these belaying pins all the way from RB Models in Poland yesterday. 6 packs of 10 for a little over $10 with shipping.

image.png.3b84c1549dcbe3c75330935b18afe108.png

It took me a long time to decide which pins to buy. Most of them, especially the wooden ones, are too fat. For others, the pictures/drawings were so poor I couldn't tell what they were. They took a long time to get here but I knew that would be the case so I bought them early (with extras). 

I also got my last 2 packages of blocks from Chuck. These included 2mm single blocks. These are really small. So I'm looking at them thinking "how on earth am going to use these?".  We'll see.