What did you receive today?

This came in yesterday after I won the bidding war on Fleabay.  A pile of small MicroMark power tools for less than what I would have paid for just two tools.  Got it unpacked and every thing stowed.  Surprisingly, they were shipped Saturday and got here Monday when the theoretical was not until later this week.   Now waiting for one more tool to come in, a powered sword saw.  

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.5e2a0d3f0e0035e1b70348aba736e12b.jpg

4 hours ago, BobG said:

Nice, Mark. What are the tools in the pile?

Power supply, small belt sander, small square sander, a sander with 3 floating disks for curves and the like, an electric chisel (which I'll mod one of the blades to be a sander (glue sandpaper on it), and the small silver one is a reciprocating small area sander. There's a lot of accessories like a longer power cable to connect to the power supply, set of chisels, the "expanded" set of chisels, sander attachments and consumables like sandpaper.

I'm going to practice a bit on scrap to get a fell for them before I actually use them on the model.  I think they'll speed things up for me.  

• 2 weeks later...

The last couple of days I've received these two items:

First, a good quality airbrush. I've been using knockoff $20 and $30 ones until now. The 105 came with a "Medium" needle 0.5 mm, good for Vallejo paints. I ordered a 0.3 mm needle from another store that should arrive later this week. The brass piece is an adapter from my quick disconnect to the Badger. I stole it from my Badger 200 brush. I'll have to find another one for it.

Badger_01.jpg.3cc4c442e230a075e42896f9fd78275c.jpg

Badger_02.thumb.jpg.368899de5ee6acfd4962a0342008486c.jpg

Badger_03.jpg.579aac96e3369f4197f3eedb82ca9f46.jpg

The other item is a real airbrush compressor. I've been using a Harbor Freight 3 gallon one. While this was more than adequate for the job, it was almost painfully loud. I had been planning to mount it in another room, and run the hose through the wall. I got this off Amazon, with free shipping. I'll unbox it tomorrow. It has been a long day, and a storm has moved in, so I'll wait until then to take it out to the shop.

Compressor_01.thumb.JPG.c75522b516a9afeb101f1a2fbf7cba8d.JPG

I also received my Half Hull Planking kit from NRG today! Came in a box that looked like ones for a book. They sent me the instructions via email. The pictures show the top and bottom of the laser cut sheets. I'm going to leave them wrapped until I start on the kit. This will be after I do the Granado cross section kit that should arrive in the next week or so.

720236872_HalfHull_001.JPG.6601101fc4332bd3f42e3695372bde66.JPG

1423568923_HalfHull_002.thumb.JPG.9559901ec347978c0feebbac1fb6dbec.JPG

4 hours ago, thibaultron said:

First, a good quality airbrush. I've been using knockoff $20 and $30 ones until now. The 105 came with a "Medium" needle 0.5 mm, good for Vallejo paints. I ordered a 0.3 mm needle from another store that should arrive later this week. The brass piece is an adapter from my quick disconnect to the Badger. I stole it from my Badger 200 brush. I'll have to find another one for it.

The other item is a real airbrush compressor. I've been using a Harbor Freight 3 gallon one. While this was more than adequate for the job, it was almost painfully loud. I had been planning to mount it in another room, and run the hose through the wall. I got this off Amazon, with free shipping. I'll unbox it tomorrow. It has been a long day, and a storm has moved in, so I'll wait until then to take it out to the shop.

I love using the badgers, I believe the 105 is the patriot?  I have two I use.

On 2/15/2021 at 6:48 PM, thibaultron said:

My wife gave me the Patriot and Anthem set for Christmas and I now need to grab a nice compressor.  Would love to hear how this goes

Set up the compressor,temporarily today. Temporarily, because I do not plan to use the supplied regulator. The one that came with it has a gauge whose markings are course for fine adjustment. It spans 0 to 40 psi, in the same range as my present one with 0 to 20psi, for the same needle movement. I also plan to mount the unit on the back of my spray booth, so adjusting the pressure would not be easy, while spraying. My present regulator is mounted on the side of the booth, up front, handy for quick adjustments. I don't want to have the supplied regulator in line with my other one, as there is no need for the extra air restriction. The regulator screws directly onto a male fitting on the tank, that does not mate with a regular airbrush hose (like the one that comes with it). I've ordered an adapter fitting and a quick disconnect, to attach that supplied hose between the compressor and my regulator. Anyway, I'll detail the changes when a couple of parts come in. My present setup with the HF compressor uses 1/4" air hoses, that a a bit too heavy and bulky for the smaller compressor, and overkill for airbrushing.

It ran quietly. Much better than the Harbor Freight one. I'll run more tests in the next couple of days. As far as I'm concerned, it is a winner. I got it on Amazon for a little over $80, with free shipping.

Book collection about sailing ships and their modelling was officially started today as I recived Ship Modeling Simplified by Frank Mastini. Quick look and I know it will be interesting lecture. Now I await also for Rigging Period - Fore-And-Aft Craft by Lennarth Petersson and The Boats of Men of War by W.E. May. All by ebay. 

Report on the air compressor performance

I hooked up the air compressor through the supplied regulator and into my regular one. There was a problem, in that the regulator ended up horizontal, rather than vertical once tightened. While for me this is not a problem, for anyone wishing to use the original regulator, it would be. The water separator is useless in this position, and the gauge is at the bottom, and thus is hard to read.

Regulator.thumb.jpg.6a213ea6b023e85b289937023b1d0fca.jpg

Anyway, I set the factory regulator at maximum, and ran some tests. Note that the manual says to run the compressor continuously for a max of 10 minutes, with a 10 minute cool down. This gives a 50% duty cycle.

The first run was with a 0.5mm needle in a double action airbrush.

Empty until the compressor reached the cutoff pressure (~55 to 57 PSI) = 65 seconds

At a pressure of 30 PSI to the airbrush:

From 55 PSI to the compressor cutting back on (at ~40 PSI) = 25 seconds

The airbrush was shutdown at this point and it took 25 seconds to reach full pressure. This refill time was the same for all the other settings, naturally.

I again held the airbrush at full “throttle” and observed the pressure gauge at the tank.

The compressor kicked in and continued to run, bringing the output pressure up to about 50 PSI, but never high enough to cut back off.

So for this size needle you would have to let the compressor rest after 10 minutes. Of course, if you are painting solidly for more than 10 minutes, you need either a bigger setup, or a smaller size part, than say a full size car! Not to mention, my finger, will start to protest for a rest at about 5 minutes!

After letting the compressor rest for a few minutes, I repeated the test at 20 PSI.

The airbrush ran for 30 seconds this time before the compressor cut back on. It then continued to run for 70 seconds before it hit the cutoff pressure. So you could run a bit longer without resting the compressor.

At 15 PSI the times were 40 seconds until the compressor came on, and 50 seconds to reach cutoff.

Not bad, and soo much quieter! It will certainly work for me.

A friend who is a dog owner sent this to me on E-mail today.

A man wrote a letter to a small  hotel in a Midwest
  town he planned to visit on his  vacation. 
  He wrote: I would very much like to bring my dog
  with me. He is well-groomed and very well behaved. 
  Would you be willing to permit me to keep him in my
  room with me at night?"

An immediate reply came from the  hotel owner, who wrote:

SIR: "I've been operating this  hotel for many years.
  In all that time, I've never had a  dog steal towels,
  bedclothes, silverware or steal  pictures off the walls  
  or use them as a coloring  book.

I've never had to evict a dog in  the middle of the night
  for being drunk and disorderly.  
  And I've never had a dog run out on a hotel bill. 
  Yes, indeed, your dog is welcome at my hotel. 
  And, if your dog will vouch for  you, you're welcome to
  stay here, too."

I received a Guillow’s 500 series Hurricane today, 1/32 scale wingspan 16” . See what I can do with it. Balsa incredibly fragile.

Quite quaint a throw back to a simpler age me thinks, these stick and tissue kits.

See if I can cover it with wood sheeting and latex filler as per Tim Moore’s Spitfire.

2F9B31DC-967B-4CF7-B0DE-3E4F1B6EE841.jpeg.ac898e2a231dbb7b764996993176e9e2.jpeg5

377A9A79-DB24-420A-A22C-DE36F1167687.jpeg

Nirvana,

No I didn’t thought it would be way too small although noted the instructions mentioned amongst the deleted parts a firewall for a petrol ? engine. On the Guillow’s builders forum there’s  a link to You Tube video showing this kit being flown under rubber power going way up in the air, very impressive.

Edited by Slowhand
Typo
3 hours ago, Slowhand said:

Nirvana,

No I didn’t thought it would be way too small although noted the instructions mentioned amongst the deleted parts a firewall for a petrol ? engine. On the Guillow’s builders forum there’s  a link to You Tube video showing this kit being flown under rubber power going way up in the air, very impressive.

There are very small electric motors and micro servos that will be able to do the job.

I can't remember which thread it was on, but they were talking about the usefulness of the old aluminum film cans. I don't have a source for those, but Walmart has a set of clear containers, with screw on lids, about the same size. You get 12 containers with a clear box to hold them for ~$6, not a bad deal. I'm sure they are also available elsewhere.

1773338218_StorageCase_01.thumb.jpg.490019a4964dae366e9949fe3c04e560.jpg

1 hour ago, thibaultron said:

I can't remember which thread it was on, but they were talking about the usefulness of the old aluminum film cans. I don't have a source for those, but Walmart has a set of clear containers, with screw on lids, about the same size. You get 12 containers with a clear box to hold them for ~$6, not a bad deal. I'm sure they are also available elsewhere.

1 hour ago, thibaultron said:

They are still sold for film photographers who load their own cartridges. Like vinyl records, film photography is making something of a come-back.

1469469998_1217624.jpg

25 for ten bucks.  https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1217624-REG/ziv_fc35_25_35mm_film_canister_25_pack.html/?ap=y&ap=y&smp=y&smp=y&lsft=BI%3A514&gclid=Cj0KCQiAj9iBBhCJARIsAE9qRtBHIf2R7__z1sYuC3Vh1uM4SMCV_fvkINd7QD2SbFqOlw-PqUiS1PwaAhAtEALw_wcB

The clear plastic ones are ten bucks for thirty on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Film-Canisters-Caps-Transparent-Accessories/dp/B07JPJRFCN/ref=asc_df_B07JPJRFCN/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=343253277043&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16783096714785580964&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9032113&hvtargid=pla-759455038495&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=69185921255&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=343253277043&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16783096714785580964&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9032113&hvtargid=pla-759455038495