Half Moon by popeye the sailor - Billing Boats - 1:40 scale kit

thanks for the good word and the likes folks.......glad to have put the  'bad paint day'  behind me......couldn't wait to fix it.   I bought the flat red a while ago,  in anticipation of this day.

this next update is a combination of the last couple of days.......first off though,  is my little freeloader......the bow fore deck railing.   I had fitted it and left it in place.......and of course,  forgot about it through the masking and painting process.

post-612-0-42119500-1440097191_thumb.jpg

I think the round stock looks better than the 1/16 x 1/16 square stock Billing says to use.   for the aft fore deck railing,  I wanted to do something different.   in the assembly instructions,  it appears as a full length railing across the span,   but,  on the full size rigging sheet  {shows you as well,  where everything locates},  it stops to allow for a ladder.  the ladder sits up along the bulwark......since there is a tack line coming through the bulwark in that area,  I gave the ladder some space.  this will require a two piece railing........this is the port side part.

post-612-0-42781200-1440097743_thumb.jpg

this will be the starboard side part.

post-612-0-56609600-1440097770_thumb.jpg

raw as they appear......they would soon arrive at what I was shoot'in for.   the port side fell a bit short........rather than make a new part,  I added to it.  stained a bit better,  it won't be as noticeable.

post-612-0-53123200-1440097948_thumb.jpg

the bow fore deck railing was stained and cemented in place.........no more runn'in 'round for you.....kid!

post-612-0-38005700-1440098018_thumb.jpg

work on the aft fore deck railing was done........it too was cemented in place.

post-612-0-68847200-1440098115_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-14881300-1440098129_thumb.jpg

the opening does look a bit too wide..........I was going to put a ladder on both sides.  I opted to just do the one ladder,  since if I did it for one deck......I would have to do it to all three.   the aft deck and the poop deck will have a set of railings and ladders as well.   these will have narrower ladders......since this is such a large deck,  I made it a little wider.   I have quite a bit of strip stock,  I had stained when I did the hull rails.......this looks like a good place to use some of it up.

post-612-0-10824300-1440098418_thumb.jpg

while making the fore deck ladder,   I got the other parts together for the other railings

post-612-0-08757100-1440098475_thumb.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hello Dennis...

Quite a  bit of difference between Corel and Billings.  I really like the railings at the rear of the foredeck.  Your build is coming along way way nicely.  I haven't mentioned it before but i also love your color combinations.  Looking forward to watching for more.

Best,

Jerry

I also am trying to pick up where I left off with the ship's boat.   there really isn't too much to it.   if you recall,  I had the parts to make one with a frame and planked it with some wood I had ripped up.   I combined it with two others that I have lying around...I'll most likely use them for the trawler......still need a little more work.

post-612-0-13763700-1440098754_thumb.jpg

there are two Sampson posts that locate in the lower bow deck.    there is more to be done at the bow.   they were cemented in place,  since they won't be in the way.......I have other aspects that I made ahead of time.

post-612-0-88424400-1440099214_thumb.jpg

with the ladder done and in place....I was concerned about interference with the ship's boat.   a dry fit shows me I have plenty of room.

post-612-0-85547100-1440099323_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-24456700-1440099337_thumb.jpg

I'm still working on the railings and ladders for the aft section........I got the railings done for the lower aft section.

post-612-0-19664000-1440099415_thumb.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Looks like Billings likes to use a lot of railings...Check my build, no such railings provided.

Best,

Jerry

Nice railings Popeye...as Jerry stated no such railings on the Corel kit or plans...I'm guessing their sailors were more sure footed then Billing's :P

Hey attached are the pics with dimensions, the spacing between them are all the same.

J

post-3847-0-29636200-1440100326_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-84715800-1440100326_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-23699900-1440100327_thumb.jpg

you can say that again Jerry  ;)  :D     .......I think Anja has the same kit as well  {Corel}.   more or less,  it's just manufacturer's copyright......they cannot be the same.   when manufacturers attain the rights to make the kit of whatever ship they choose,  they are under agreement to only include so much detail.  this was explained to me some time ago........I had asked why the Gothenborg kit did not include cannons.   chances are,  other manufacturers are given a different set of guidelines,  should they want to market the same ship.   I found some big differences.......the bulwark railings......the paint and art work {which instead of following the Billing scheme,  I chose to follow pictures of the more recent boat}.   I don't have too many pictures that show the complete deck......

....the railings seem logical.  After all.......we don't want some poor schmuck,  whose off on a mead buzz,  falling from an upper deck  ;)  :D  :D

thanks for the dimensions J.......they will give me something to compare to  ;)  by the time I'm done......I'll be sick of doing newel posts  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

It's hard keeping up with you :P ........ you're like horse s---... you're allover the place :D :D . Nice work on the boat and railings

( like always)........ Is the Goth still in  the works??

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Wow Dennis! I step out for a few hours, and come back and find the ship's almost done.  :P  You're going right to town and she's looking mighty fine!  :dancetl6:

Cheers

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Hi Denis

I'm loving everything about this ship, from the blunt bow through to the high poop deck at the stern. I'm am surprised though at the amount of colours, which certainly adds to the overall effect.

Look forward to more updates.

Cheers

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

thanks for the kind comments and likes :)    well......the vacation is drawing to a close :(     at least this vacation,  I got to do a lot more on the boats.

thanks John  :)

good thing I'm not from a cow Frank  :D  :D   then I'd be nicknamed 'patty"  ;)    the Goth is still alive......wasn't happy with the ratlines.   if I keep up,  it'll be the oldest build in history  ;)  one of these days .......;)

thanks Patrick and George..........that's the good clean smell of wood!  It wuz all I could stands,  cuz I couldn't stands n'more!  :)  I'd say I broke some ground on the Half Moon........I do have an update coming.   last one before going back to the grind.

thanks Ed.......just getting up to speed on the H.M. before returning to paint all those railings.  I'll be glad when I get caught up with the ones on the deck...that includes the touch ups  :)   besides..........Urmilla can have some variety  :)   Titanic will resume as normal.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Nice work . Do not listen Titanic's crying. Stay in wood(s) ;)

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

thanks Nenad.......but I can't do that.   but at least now I can juggle  ;)

as mentioned,  I did do more this morning........should I get back to it,  I'll be sure to post it.   the poop deck railings are done.

post-612-0-82731800-1440190116_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-59421300-1440190127_thumb.jpg

doing a little more at the bow,  the pin rail was added and the stops for the gammoning.

post-612-0-15402900-1440190231_thumb.jpg

the ladders.........the one for the lower aft deck....

post-612-0-43450500-1440190278_thumb.jpg

...and the one for the poop deck.

post-612-0-13568500-1440190304_thumb.jpg

both are now cemented in place

post-612-0-43598500-1440190410_thumb.jpg

the progress of the deck layout.......

post-612-0-43926300-1440190481_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-74394500-1440190498_thumb.jpg

even an overview......thought this was cool  ;)

post-612-0-66578700-1440190636_thumb.jpg

the cleats for the tack lines were added as well.........a real pain trying to drill holes for them.   since that was a bust,  I cut off the locator tabs and super glued them in place.  I hope that doesn't turn round to bite me later.   this ship sports a lanteen sail.......block and eye bolts installed,  along with a couple cleats.

post-612-0-61291800-1440191033_thumb.jpg

now it's time I think to figure out the chain boards and the gun port lids.   where I've made the modifications to the bulwark railings,  it may have an effect on the boards.   who knows,  I may have to make a set that are a tad bit wider.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

GREAT to see her back on the table!!!!!!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

hello everyone  :).......thanks for the kind comments and the likes.   when I got back to her,  it was kinda short lived......I only got to stain the chain boards and do the rest of the assembly for the gun port lids.  first day back at work........surprisingly,  it wasn't too bad.   at least they didn't move everything around on me  :D   work this week....then the week after I have Monday off.   I only need to wait till the 20th of September,  and I get all my vacation time back  :)

I just hope this week goes quick  ;)

welcome back Augie  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I wanted to further along with this build,  than I thought I had.........if that makes any sense.   these past couple of days,  I have been moving from one table to the other.......surprised that I only got a few pictures of mu time with the Half Moon.

I did some measuring and spacing with the gun port lids

post-612-0-84175900-1440680497_thumb.jpg

masked and painted the rudder.........went into my inventory and got the Gungeons and pintle hinges I had made for an earlier build.   I need to look at the actual ship to see if I can get away with just the two.......if not I can make another.

post-612-0-49342100-1440680625_thumb.jpg

the gun ports are cemented in place.  the only chain board  that I'm going to need to make any adjustments on,  will be the main mast boards.

post-612-0-72311600-1440680719_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-11224300-1440680731_thumb.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Like the color scheme on the hull...... nice work

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

thanks all for the kind words and the likes.   I was over run with little people today.......my son came by with his four young ones  :)    I hate being caught off guard like that........it was a mad scramble to get the sharp tools out of reach.   I even had some on my computer desk.   the tables are a constant source of questions.........some quite humorous.  :)    it was a good day.

I saw that there were four sets of  'hinges'  for the rudder.   I will make one more......three will be enough.   the rudder and the rest of the bow needs to be done first,  before I can go further with the chain boards.   the attachments for the dead eyes and shrouds appear to be nothing more than metal rod.  to those who have built a Billing kit,  probably know the brass pieces these kits supply........I have an ample supply of both sizes.   I'm weighing the options for something different.......yea,  I'm not a big fan of them either.   I have time to figure it out  ;)

thanks again for the good word and the likes  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Popeye  she is a beautiful build    how do you have time to work n so many projects and have such quality work come out of them    I never really liked the look of the half moon on the web sites   She didn't catch my eye but yours is wonderful and made me rethink about her.  Your little lady has inspired me to maybe take her on sometime   Good work

thanks for the compliment.....the Corel and the Billing's kits are pretty good.   they do have some conflicting takes on her appearance and how she was fitted. 

so,  I'm adding in the combined details and following the art work of the actual ship.......a rebuild of this fine ship.   I'm sure I'm missing something here and there......if your thinking of taking up the gauntlet.....I wish you the best of luck.   perhaps you will find the missing pieces and make yours a true replica  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

just a small update..........I made up two more gungeon and pintle sets for the rudder.    haven't done much more than that.  hope to have a real update soon  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I wanted to get more done yesterday........but since it was my birthday,  I became limited on what I could get accomplished. 

I did get some done though  ;)       I did make a couple more gungeons and pintle assemblies.....I will choose the three best ones and go from there.   I made them a few days ago........

post-612-0-12346000-1441130950_thumb.jpg

I had also painted the rudder with the bottom paint.   with this done and dry,  the notches were cut into the rudder to cut down on the gap that will be between the rudder and the stern stem.  

post-612-0-33697500-1441131326_thumb.jpg

here's a bit of a dry fit....

post-612-0-83493800-1441131363_thumb.jpg

this photo is a bit blurry,  but it will give you an idea of how it will look.

post-612-0-55216700-1441131415_thumb.jpg

so now the assemblies were cemented in place on the rudder,  and drilled to accept cut down brads as bolt heads.  I used 10 mm brads for this.....I have so many of these brads.   the heads are so distinct,  that I could never use them for fastening planking........don't even have a tool for inserting them,  like I do for the 7 mm brads.   I did both sides......before touch ups

post-612-0-98465500-1441131685_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-26753600-1441131696_thumb.jpg

....and after touch ups....

post-612-0-02773500-1441131717_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-31270500-1441131728_thumb.jpg

I'm half way there!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Cool! And very nice !

Go on

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

I was referring to the rudder assembly JP.........I'm not even to the point of masting her yet,  which then,  I would consider the build half way  ;)   thanks for the good word...and following along  :)

thanks Nenad......till the finish my friend!  ;)

thanks for the likes as well!  :)

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: