Half Moon by popeye the sailor - Billing Boats - 1:40 scale kit

thanks John  ;)   lov'in that hull of yours!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I wanted to post this update last night........but I was too pooped to pop  ;)   I did this on Friday.   with the rudder fitted out,  it was dry fitted on the ship to see how it would look.

post-612-0-33369900-1441584346_thumb.jpg

it was cemented in place........holes were then drilled for the simulated bolts

post-612-0-81517300-1441584410_thumb.jpg

completed,  it looks like this.

post-612-0-85757900-1441584445_thumb.jpg

the other side was done........and then it was touch up time.   once done,  the final results.

post-612-0-92311500-1441584519_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-81287000-1441584532_thumb.jpg

just to add to it,  a monkey chain was added.  it looks a bit off.......there is a reason.....the rudder is turned to port slightly.  I did this to compensate.

post-612-0-12925900-1441584681_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-37712200-1441584693_thumb.jpg

now....I can do a bit more to the bow.......first the gammoning was done.

post-612-0-90418900-1441584777_thumb.jpg

lastly,  the knees were added to the bow stem.......still a bit more to go in this area.

post-612-0-12972100-1441584843_thumb.jpg

I have one more work day to go...........happy labor day.....to all who celebrate it  :)  .....and a belated happy Father's day to all of my Australian friends  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Nicely done Popeye, the bolts in the pintels and gudgeons are a nice touch.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Hey Denis

Thanks for the Father's Day best wishes. Mine went really nicely.

As for your rudder...gotta say how nice the gudgeons and pintles look. Nice and authentic, that's for sure. I must admit though, I don't quite understand why'd the rudder was skewed to one side. What is it compensating for?

Nice job on the gammoning in the bowsprit area.

All the best!

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Good going, Dennis

Best,

Jerry

P.S.  The Half Moon makes a beautiful display.  So far I haven't coverd mine with a display case.  But I think I should.

thanks for the kind words and the likes  :)   the heat is back........the last few days have been oppressive.   the work week is over  :)  I never quite understood why spell check was highlighting the words gudgeon and pintle ....I just looked these words up......they are not in my dictionary.   it's nice to know I was half right  ;)   

it's the way the rudder ended up Patrick..........once the hardware was 'bolted' down,  it acquired that gentle turn to port.   I didn't want to try and straighten it out.....it might have broke.   so,  why not accent it a little  :)

thanks Jerry. ........I have several that are not covered.   I'm not enthused about it either,  but I guess it's better than the boxes they were once in  ;)   perhaps one day..........when I get tired of cleaning them  :D  :D    oh well.......after all.......what's the life expectancy of a model,  anyways?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 2 weeks later...

last week wasn't a very productive week for me......I started it off with one simple step,  and it turned into a bout of reconstructive surgery.  this week isn't shaping up to be any better........fixing an electrical problem with my car windows on Tuesday,  and acquiring a part time job yesterday {interview}......I'm hoping the rest of this week is a bit less eventful.

now that the ship doesn't have to be turned over anymore {I hope}....I figured that I would put in all the belaying pins in the rails.   they were installed on the mizzen pin rails.

post-612-0-10629200-1442493682_thumb.jpg

they were installed in the fore deck pin rails

post-612-0-43660500-1442493714_thumb.jpg

they were installed in the bow stem pin rail.  I had also fashioned and installed a horse shoe shaped collar for the bow spirit boom

post-612-0-52510800-1442493769_thumb.jpg

but,  when I got to the main mast pin rails,  here's where the project began

post-612-0-55715600-1442494097_thumb.jpg

apparently,  they were not as sturdy as I thought they were.   refitting them,  I could see where I had left a gap along the rail and the bulwark.   rather than open or deepen the slots in the rails themselves,  it was decided that evening off all the posts,  would be the better remedy.   to adjust the slots would bring the pins closer to the bulwarks and could make it  harder at rigging time.

post-612-0-98389800-1442494500_thumb.jpg

it was a long process......but I did get to the point where it could be cemented back into place.

post-612-0-04503000-1442494884_thumb.jpg

the port side wasn't as bad........but I did do a little adjusting to the slots in the rail.  everything is back to normal now.  I can move forward again  ;)

post-612-0-92144200-1442495146_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-21239500-1442495263_thumb.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Nice fix, Popeye.  Keep her on an even keel from here on out!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Looking good!

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Gooooood woooork !!!!

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Well fixed, Denis.  Seems we all have our little "Oh crap" moments.  Better it happened now than after the rigging was started.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

thanks all for the kind words......yea,  we could all do without these little problems.......but,  if there weren't any,  it would be a boring hobby  ;)   {and I hear you on that Mark!}  :)

now that the smoke cleared....I finally cemented all of the other pre made parts in place.  placement of the ship's boat is next,  along with the chain boards and dead eyes.

post-612-0-93046300-1442627037_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-85621300-1442627052_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-32962100-1442627066_thumb.jpg

the mizzen is dry fitted at the moment.

post-612-0-93051100-1442627130_thumb.jpg

thanks for the like and for looking in.  I really got to get back on the Titanic.......would be nice to clear that table  ;)  it will make fore a great diversion,  while I work on the chain boards.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

She's filling out nicely, Popeye.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

thanks Augie and Gary....and those who hit the like button.   actually,  I've been waiting till I get a couple more lights for the Titanic before I work towards finishing her.  as it's looking.......I may do just as well to finish her with what I've got.   the deck illumination alone should be good enough.  as for the problems...I'm glad they rear their heads when they do.........as Mark said,  it would be really sad if they were to happen during the rigging process.  I've also been doing some tinkering on the side,  concerning that silly project I've come up with.  issues that I can't explain just yet.

more to come soon  ;)

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Really looking sharp Popeye - the color choices are fantastic and the little details are making it awesome!

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

thanks Adam.......still a bit more to do with the deck layout.  then I can start going up  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 1 month later...

thanks Lawrence........I've been doing a few other projects at the moment.......but I'm trying to squeeze in the ship's boat.  it'll be a mini project by itself  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks Brian.......your welcome to any ideas I have here  ;)   I'm going from memory here........the kit came with frames,  keel,  and every thing to make it.  for planking,  I ripped some 2 mm {I think},  to get the thin strips I needed.   I need to set the ship's boat on the hold that it's cradled on,  and add it to the build before I get to the masting.  I will post some pictures soon.   in the meantime,  look back in the log......I'm sure there's something on it  :)  look on page #38....... you'll see the tack line sheave decorations I got from Corel too......there's more on page #41

there are some major differences between the two kits.   I altered mine from pictures I found on the net.   I need to catch up to where you are on your build.....your doing a great job so far  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Nice to see you back to the" wood"..... this build is looking really nice .... How's the Goth coming along?????

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

hi Frank......I have to do something with wood to keep my sanity  :)   thanks for the good word     the Goth is still alive  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

well happy anniversary Lawrence........I hope you two enjoy  :)    thanks for the good word as well!

thanks Greg......work is getting in the way at the moment,  but I hope to have something done on her very soon.   only a few more things to add on deck....and then masting can happen  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi John..........unfortunately.....I've been busy doing other things.   but this build is a nice break from the Titanic {plastic}.   I hope to get some time in on her soon  ;)     thanks for the good word :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: