popeye the sailor

Half Moon by popeye the sailor - Billing Boats - 1:40 scale kit

thanks Augie and Gary....and those who hit the like button.   actually,  I've been waiting till I get a couple more lights for the Titanic before I work towards finishing her.  as it's looking.......I may do just as well to finish her with what I've got.   the deck illumination alone should be good enough.  as for the problems...I'm glad they rear their heads when they do.........as Mark said,  it would be really sad if they were to happen during the rigging process.  I've also been doing some tinkering on the side,  concerning that silly project I've come up with.  issues that I can't explain just yet.

more to come soon  ;)

Edited by popeye the sailor

Popeye, it's great to watch the differences - and the similarities - between my Corel Half Moon and your Billings version.  You're doing a lovely job with yours.  I'll confess I've borrowed a few ideas from here and incorporated them in mine!
I like your foredeck better than what Corel made me do.
What did Billings give you as a ship's boat?  Was it a hollowed-out log, like Corel's?  Me, I just took what I was given and did my best to tart it up and make it look real(ish), but I get the impression you want to build one from scratch.
And from what I've seen, you probably can!

Beautiful work so far.  Keep it up.

thanks Brian.......your welcome to any ideas I have here  ;)   I'm going from memory here........the kit came with frames,  keel,  and every thing to make it.  for planking,  I ripped some 2 mm {I think},  to get the thin strips I needed.   I need to set the ship's boat on the hold that it's cradled on,  and add it to the build before I get to the masting.  I will post some pictures soon.   in the meantime,  look back in the log......I'm sure there's something on it  :)  look on page #38....... you'll see the tack line sheave decorations I got from Corel too......there's more on page #41

there are some major differences between the two kits.   I altered mine from pictures I found on the net.   I need to catch up to where you are on your build.....your doing a great job so far  ;)

Hi Popeye

It's nice to see that you are back in the old ship yard  and making great progress at that. I can not seam to get started on my house hold jobs that have to be done before I am able to start the African Queen my next build. And then we have decided to celebrate our Anniversary 2 weeks early as last year we got caught in 3' of snow. so we will be off on the 02 Nov till the 09 Nov. with lots of R & R rather than 16 Nov. to 23 Nov as we had earlier planed to enjoy out 52 st. Anniversary in the nicer weather.  It looks like the weather is holding for us as we hit the 60 F. today, so here is hopping.

I still can not see how you can focus on two great builds and more at times when one build at a time is my limit, may-be One of these days I will give it a try, to follow your foot steps, keep up the great work, lots of pictures and above all     ENJOY.

Regards   Lawrence

well happy anniversary Lawrence........I hope you two enjoy  :)    thanks for the good word as well!

thanks Greg......work is getting in the way at the moment,  but I hope to have something done on her very soon.   only a few more things to add on deck....and then masting can happen  :)

I was hoping to get these up before now.......    stuck with a moment to spare,  I did a little bit to the ship's boat.  some eye bolts need to be added to the hold,  as well as the remaining seats for the boat itself.

post-612-0-11796300-1447689197_thumb.jpg

when this part of the assembly was done,   this is how it looked.

post-612-0-62208500-1447689251_thumb.jpg

I want to add a little more to it,  so I went into the oars I made for the Susan A build.......I had made quite a few in order to come up with a couple of matching pairs.   sadly,  they look a bit too big........it's looking like I'll need to make them.

post-612-0-02126400-1447689412_thumb.jpg

I'm glad I bought that package of small dowels.........they are smaller than the ones I used to make the other ones.  I have one that is close to where it needs to be.......more when I have the time  ;)

post-612-0-63086200-1447689615_thumb.jpg

thanks to you all for the kind comments....>fighting with a very slow computer right now<   Billing's has no reference to the making of oars, nor the rigging to lash it down with.....I'll try to wing it  ;)   I had assembled five oars,  the same way I did the larger ones.   the smaller dowels worked well.

post-612-0-85879800-1448031870_thumb.jpg

I may have shown this earlier......one of them has started to be sanded to shape.  

post-612-0-27071700-1448032062_thumb.jpg

now that they are all sanded to some kind of shape.....they need to lose that  'paddle'  look.   I did the first one.

post-612-0-55030800-1448032188_thumb.jpg

....perhaps a bit more.....but the other soon had the same shape.   very hard to get them to look all the same

post-612-0-07497000-1448032313_thumb.jpg

compared to the other set,  they look much smaller.   they probably should be scaled down a bit more,  but they are good enough for me.

post-612-0-18021000-1448032421_thumb.jpg

they were stained after a little more sanding.........and four of them were cemented on the ship's boat.    the next thing to do,  is come up with a good way to lash her down.

post-612-0-17192600-1448032643_thumb.jpg

I like your sense of humor J............takes so much of the guess work out of it  :D  :D    thanks everyone for the good word and the likes.........I didn't get to go much further so far......errands,  don'tcha know  ;)    back to work at Wally  {Wal-Mart} for the weekend.   I'm working on a few ideas.......and the  'other' project is keeping me busy as well.   I think I nee to let the cat out of the bag soon........before it gets too big!  ;)