Sign in to follow this  
ChrisLBren

Proxxon Planer DH40 Issue

Hey Group,

Am very curious if anyone else who owns this machine has had issues with it leaving bite marks on wood.  I am thinking I need new blades - when first purchased worked like a dream. 

Any feedback is appreciated,

Chris

Sounds like blade damage if these are longitudinal grooves or raised lines.

Edited by druxey

If it sounds like hammering, the blades are dull.  (By the way, never plane wood that has any kind of finish on it - that will destroy blades.)  

If there are longitudinal lines on the wood, then the blades are nicked.  It may be possible to shift one blade slightly to one side so that that blade will compensate for the defect.

It's possible to hand plane to thickness.     Below, you can see how I planed a guitar backplate to 3/32" (2.3 mm) by this technique.  I placed 3/32" plywood on either side of the rosewood, roughed it down with the No.4 plane, and then used the No.6 plane to plane to final thickness by riding the toe and heel of the plane on the plywood, with the blade cutting only the rosewood.  The paste wax on the soles of the planes greatly reduces friction and allows me to put most of the work into cutting the hard rosewood.  The wax does not cause any problems with finishing or gluing.  I've also planed to 1/16" by placing plastic laminate (e.g. for kitchen countertop) on either side of the stock and then passing the plane over all with the blade cutting the only the stock.  Thus the laminate controls the final thickness.    

shavings.jpg.8287eaaf9a2da3d752758b42126c2b9a.jpg

Edited by Bob Blarney
clarify explanation

Here is a handplaning jig that may be more applicable and convenient for you.  It's possible to make this type of jig adjustable for any thickness that you desire.

https://woodworkingmasterclasses.com/videos/thickness-planing/

The easily adjustable jig:  https://www.popularwoodworking.com/projects/aw-extra-72513-precision-planing-jig/

Edited by Bob Blarney
add link

HI Chris. After ten years my Proxxon Planer transfers a very small longitudinal line on the wood.  I assume one of the blades is nicked. I seem to recall there are two if them and swapping them out was a pain. But I can't be without my planer so I shall order a new set as well. I see they're only $10+ on Amazon.

Thanks for the feedback ! I read in the manual that the blades can be reversed if they are dull or simply replaced for 10 dollars. I agree Greg - I love this machine it works really well in conjunction with the Byrnes Thickness Sander but much more efficient to dimension wood. 

I'm not familiar with this particular jointer, but It's possible to make or buy a block of wood with neodymium magnets embedded in the surface.  These will hold the blade at the correct height while cinching down the locking screws.  Another source of very powerful magnet is from disassembling an old computer hard disk.  You'll also obtain a very very flat mirror-polished disk that is an excellent front-surface mirror.  I use it for various things, but that's another story.

Edited by Bob Blarney

I think the blades aren’t high enough on the drum - the unit grabs the wood with the auto feed but doesn’t cut. So obviously the screws that set the blade shouldn’t be flush with the drum slot. I love this tool and am hoping to get it working again with the new blades

Sorry, Chris, can't help. I have my new blades but was holding off changing them because of the problems you're having. Hope you get your planer back to spec!

Greg, since you have one, take a photo and sent it to Chris.  It might give him a better idea of what's needed.   I take it the instruction manual is silent on this?

Ill call them Greg - thanks !  The manual is very poor so maybe they can help.  There is a screw near the top of the unit that opens a door on the top - if you get a chance to take a quick photo that may really be helpful.  I know the issue here is the height of the blades.  

Hi Greg,

The Proxxon customer service just re sent me the manual which is nebulous - if you can send me a quick pic of your blades in position - would really help me and any other owners of this machine on MSW.  Thanks - hope you had a nice holiday.

Chris, the cutting edge of the blade should be flush with the fore edge of the piece holding it in place. Should be a continuous angle from edge of cutter to holder. Photo should make it clear. The cutting edge protrudes about 4 mm from the holding piece. Hope this does it for you!

DSCN8395.thumb.JPG.a3ab9cbde349901a3b0868fc99713f36.JPG

It’s fixed !!!! Thanks Greg - this tool works really well in conjunction with the Byrnes Thickness sander - I’m still getting a tiny bit of chipping - but it’s much more efficient to use the planer to reduce stock and finish off with the Brynes tool.

My French Pear could be the culprit - I do notice it has a tendency to chip when carving if not careful  - it’s pretty wood though 

Happy to hear that, Chris. Mine leaves a perfectly smooth surface, finer than the 180 grit papered disc sander. See if you et the same result on another hardwood.