Greetings from Michigan

Mark Lynch

Hello fellow builders!

I'm a retired graphic artist and I enjoy spending my time scratch building ship and other things. I'm always amazed by how many talented builders are out there and in this digital world we still use our hands to make beautiful things. Cheers to you all! 

ed fitz.jpg

IMG_3314.JPG

IMG_3316.JPG

Edited by Mark Lynch
added pics

Welcome!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Welcome aboard Mark. and those are beautiful models.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome To MSW.  And just where do you have enough room to display that monster?

Dave

“You’ve just got to know your limitations”  Dirty Harry

Current Builds:  Modified MS 1/8” scale Phantom, and modified plastic/wood hybrid of Aurora 1:87 scale whaling bark Wanderer.

Past Builds: (Done & sold) 1/8” scale A.J. Fisher 2 mast schooner Challenge, 1/6” scale scratch built whaler Wanderer w/ plans & fittings from A.J. Fisher, and numerous plastic kits including 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution (twice), Cutty Sark, and Mayflower.

(Done & in dry dock) Modified 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution w/ wooden deck and masting [too close encounter w/conc. floor in move]

Hope to get to builds: MS 3/16” scale Pride of Baltimore II,  MS 1/2” scale pinky schooner Glad Tidings,  a scratch build 3/16” scale  Phantom, and a scratch build 3/16" scale Denis Sullivan.

Great to have you  in the family  - those pieces of engineering are gorgeous.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Welcome aboard

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

2 hours ago, Red Rhino said:

Welcome aboard Mark ! Beautiful model of the Fitzgerald! It looks too big to be the Carr’s Hobby kit, did you scratch build her?

Dave

Thank you much Dave, Yes, its a scratch build it took me about three years to make. It also has full navigational lighting as well. here is some photos of how I build my ships. These are of the WLBB Icebreaker Mackinaw I just finished. 

I use body and line plans to make the bulkheads and cut those out of styrene and mount them on a styrene keel. I then glue blocks of balsawood in-between the frames. After filling in all the spaces, I sand the balsawood down to the profile of these frames. I then cut pieces of .40 styrene and plate the entire hull. I feel this gives me a more realistic welded hull appearance.  From the top side of the deck to the top of the mast everything else is constructed entirely out of styrene. Probably not the best way to build a ship, but for my purposes, it seems to work out.

assem 1.jpg

assem 2.jpg

group1.jpg

group2.jpg

Wow.  I hope you'll do a build log and let us look over your shoulder.  That's an interesting technique. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

50 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

Wow.  I hope you'll do a build log and let us look over your shoulder.  That's an interesting technique. 

Thank you for your interest Mark, I'd be happy to do that. Like I said might not be the best way to build, but it seems to work. It makes a strong and light weight hull and because it's balsawood it sands down very fast. I'm just tracking down blueprints for the next one so hopefully be starting soon.

10 hours ago, Mark Lynch said:

From the top side of the deck to the top of the mast everything else is constructed entirely out of styrene. Probably not the best way to build a ship, but for my purposes, it seems to work out.

I think the results speak for themselves - excellent!

Welcome to MSW.

Richard

Richard

Current Build: Early 19th Century US Revenue Cutter (Artesania Latina "Dallas" - messed about)

Completed Build: Yakatabune - Japanese - Woody Joe mini

Member: Nautical Research Guild & Midwest Model Shipwrights

• 1 year later...

I just saw your models in the gallery and they are stunning. Fantastic work, Mark!

I see that you have made models of the Fitzgerald and the old and new Coast Guard Cutters Mackinaw. I would love to see you make a build log of your next model so we could see the materials and interesting techniques you use to make these wonderful models. 

I served aboard the Coast Guard Cutter Storis WAGB-38 based out of Kodiak, Alaska, way back in 1966-67. Like the old Mackinaw, the Storis was also built at the Toledo Shipyards a couple of years earlier in 1941. We were able to do light to medium ice-breaking but didn't go into the heavy pack ice in the arctic.

Thanks for sharing your work!

Edited by BobG

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild