canoe21

HMS Victory by canoe21 (Lawrence) - Artesania Latina - Scale 1:84

Hi Ship Mates

Well I have not achieved a great deal in the old ship yard yesterday, I spent the day tying up some very much over due family business and searching our home for lost papers.  How ever I did get the Parra Beads and the ribs. So now the Cross Jack Yard is ready to be installed. I did spend a lot of time searching the web as to why there are 15 eye bolts in my kit around the lower Mizzen Mast Base when the real ship has only 6, will continue my search later on, to see if I can find an answer to this question.        ENJOY.

Regards   Lawrence

Michael  -  I tank you very much for your visit, for your overly kind words and nice comments and also for your like.

Arthur  -  Daniel  -  Popeye  -  Eamonn  -  Kevin  -  Wayne  -  David B.  -  Geoff  -  Philippe   -  I do thank you all for all your visits to my build log and again for all of your likes  

post-302-0-54664600-1406117030_thumb.jpg

Edited by canoe21

Hi Ship Mates

Well after a week of searching our home for legal papers and no luck at all I decided to return to the old ship yard, I did figure out a lot of those eye bolts around the Mizzen Mast and I believe they are for the Studding Sails and all of there lines,  Seams like no one with this AL kit filled up all of these eye bolts I have installed the Cross Jack Yard, The Thruss Pendant and the Cross Jack Sling.I also installed the two Top Sail Lifts with there block and tackle and belayed the Halliards to the Mizzen Shroud Cleats. I did have to remove some of the control lines for the Spanker Sail and booms , I have decided to leave these lines loose for the time being as it will give me more room to tnstall the two upper Mizzen Sails.                                                        ENJOY.

Regards   Lawrence   

post-302-0-12650200-1406746932_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-02866900-1406746964_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-49957100-1406746997_thumb.jpg

Edited by canoe21

Hello Lawrence

Your work continues to impress, with your usual descriptive progress which makes it a joy to follow. I have not done any work for the last week, the weather is to nice to miss. There is very little to do now, and I am moving to a larger yard to accommodate the large case. The timber sizes are all worked out, and I can tell you now this case will not be cheap !!!!!! Well done again Lawrence. I don't need to tell you to keep enjoying it. DAVID

Hi Ship Mates

A little more progress in the old ship yard the last few days. I have built and installed the Mizzen Top Sail and installed the Top Sail also. I have did a lit of searching  as to the eye bolts around the Mizzen Mast, my build book leaves this out almost all together but for a few. The real ship has six , with some not used and others doubled up. I have decided right or wrong that all of the heavy lifts, I have added a block and tackle and belaying the end line to an handy place to do so. I have tried to keep these belayed lines in the order that my build book calls for, but this was not always possible. I was truly amazed at all of the lines and rigging that goes with this one sail and the Cross Jack Yard. 

I was planing on installing the Mizzen Top sail and yard, but A.L. has not sent me my missing sail as yet so this means that I will begin working on the big Main Mast Sail and its yard, there sure is a lot of stuff on that one, but then again this sail is more out in the open compared to the Mizzen Top Sail that is very much enclosed.    I have left all of these lines long and untrimmed just in case I find that I may to make a correction or two in the coming days.                                                                        ENJOY.

Regards   Lawrence

post-302-0-48322700-1407183007_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-33568000-1407183045_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-36236500-1407183076_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-29066400-1407183103_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-44202200-1407183136_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-03113700-1407183614_thumb.jpg

Edited by canoe21

I do thank you all for your visit to my build log and for your very kind comments.

Mike  -  I thank you for your very kind words and also for your like, I believe that I have answered your question regarding the eye bolts around the Mizzen Mast in my last post. The four remaining eye bolts in front of the Mizzen Mast are for the two Main Topsail Braces and for the two Mizzen Top Sail Sheets.

Eamonn  -  I thank you very much for your visit to my build log, your very nice comments and also for your like.I did check Longridge for information on the eye bolts, but I think that these bits of rigging were changed so often that he never went into any great amount of detail. 

David  -  Thank you very much for your visit to my build log. Your overly kind comments , you always make me smile when reading one of your posts. Will your display case be of Glass or Plastic,  I have been kind of throwing this idea around for some time now. 

WackoWolf  -  I thank you very much for your visit to my log, your overly kind words and comments and also for your like.

Desert Wolf  - Thanks four your visit to my log, for your very kind words and great comments, also for your like.

AEW  -  ,Sjors  -  ,Pildk - Philippe   -  , Kevin  -  ,  Aussie - Geoff  -  ,Michael  -  , David B.  -  , Grant  -  I thank you all very much for your visit to my build log and also for all of your likes.                                                                      ENJOY.

Regards   Lawrence

Edited by canoe21

I thank you all for your visit to my build log on the HMS Victory.                                                       ENJOY.

Geoff  - Thank you very much for your visit, your very kind words and also for your like.

Kevin  -  I thank you very much for your visit , your overly kind words and nice comments, also for your like. Al though she may seam almost complete I am looking at Christmas to be finished building Victory. But then again I could surprise my self by completing her sooner, only time will tell. My next build will be the Fishing Schooner Annie M. Parker. This is a fishing schooner commanded by my Great Grand Father and also my Great Uncle. The Annie M. Parker was built in the early 1900th. in Gloucester Mass., USA, this will be a scratch build. I do have the hull lines and also the sail plans for this old fishing schooner, so I believe that this will be a fun build after the very complicated and very enjoyable HMS Victory.

Eamonn  -  , Sjors  -  , WackoWolf  -  ,I thank you all for your visit to my build log and also for your likes.

Jerry  -  Nice to talk to you on Skype the other day and that you are recovering very well. Looking forward to your return to the old ship yard, misted you.

Regards   Lawrence         

Edited by canoe21

I just found you very detailed and nice build log. I collected the partwork of the DeAgostini version of the Victory. I know that this version is based on the AL kit. So this build log will become very interesting once I start with my build (have to complete my Wasa first).

What I miss in my kit are detailed plans of the Victory. I believe that the AL-kit has all plans on a CD. Does somebody know if that CD is somewhere for sale? The magazines contain a lot of detailed build instructions, but I can imagine that some of the original AL-documentation may be usefull as well.

Hi DiKri

Welcome aboard my build log, please come back often. It's always nice to have a new crew member on board. I have found that the  DeAgostini  build log is very informative, I have used there Official Build Log via Tomrick very good, but he dose not give away a great deal of information as I believe he wants us to buy his build magazines. But he has helped me a great deal over the last 1 1/2 years in my Victory build. The A.L. CD really only covers the rigging , and only starts with the Hammock Cranes instillation, before this I relied on my build book and what information that I could find on the web and of course from my MSW friends, they have been a great help and inspiration over the last almost 2 years now.

You will find building HMS Victory very challenging and also very rewarding at the same time, above all      ENJOY.

Regards   Lawrence

Hi DiKri

Welcome aboard my build log, please come back often. It's always nice to have a new crew member on board. I have found that the  DeAgostini  build log is very informative, I have used there Official Build Log via Tomrick very good, but he dose not give away a great deal of information as I believe he wants us to buy his build magazines. But he has helped me a great deal over the last 1 1/2 years in my Victory build. The A.L. CD really only covers the rigging , and only starts with the Hammock Cranes instillation, before this I relied on my build book and what information that I could find on the web and of course from my MSW friends, they have been a great help and inspiration over the last almost 2 years now.

You will find building HMS Victory very challenging and also very rewarding at the same time, above all      ENJOY.

Regards   Lawrence

Thanks for the clarification Lawrence!

Hi Lawrence..

Well, I felt a little better this afternoon, enough to be able to sit up and view your build site and how nice it is.  The sails look so beautiful so I'm sure you're happy to have decided to go that way.  I still don't have the strength to sit for any long period of time and the brace  i have to wear is uncomfortablr enough to make me forget about doing any work,  But I have to tell the truth and admit that I wasn't disappointed to see your work as it is just what I expected to see...Precise, neat and beautiful.  Hope to see you soon..

Jerry

Very nice work, as always, Lawrence!  After following your build on the Victory, I have no doubt you will do an amazing job on the Annie M. Parker!

I thank you all for your visits to my build log, it' always nice to have visitors. A bit of a set back yesterday, I spent the day building what I  thought was the lower main yard but turned out to be another lower fore mast yard, kind of the drags to say the least. So that means I am of to buy a piece of 5/16 dowel to replace my mistake, I guess it is not to bad as I do enjoy building these yards with all of the details that go along with them,                                                         ENJOY

Regards   Lawrence

Jerry  -  Nice to hear that you are on the mend and that your very sour back is very much improved, ma-by next week you will be able to spend a bit of time in the old ship yard. Thanks for your very nice comments and ever so nice words, get well soon.

David  -   Thanks for your visit to my build log, for your ever so nice words and comments, and also for your like 

Wayne  -  I thank you very much for your visit to my build log, for your overly kind words and comments, also for your likes. I am starting to get a bit excited about the fishing schooner Annie M. Parker, have been think of ordering the plywood for the frames, I believe that I want the deck to be mahogany; but can not make up my mind on the hull planking, any suggestions on the type of wood to use, I do want to paint the hull.

Michael  -  Thank you very much for your visit to my build log, for your overly kind words and very nice comments, also for your like.

Sjors  -  , Rich F.  -  , Tim I.  -  , Popeye  -  , Kevin  -  , Geoff  -  , I do thank you all very much for your visits to my build log and also for your likes.

Harvey  -  Welcome aboard , it's always nice to have a new new crew member on board, I hope that you will return very often, your comments are always welcome, also thanks for your like

Hi  B.E.

I do thank you for your visit to my build log and for your very kind words and very nice comments, also for your likes. Yes I think that sails do enhance ones build, I know that they do require do require more work and a bit more rigging and that the will hide just a bit of the ship and its rigging from certain angles , but I believe as a hole they do enhance ones build.                                                                  ENJOY.

Regards   Lawrence

Hi Ship Mates

Well I have finally recovered from my little boo-boo of cutting the lower mane yard to short, I had to buy a new piece of dowel as I had no pieces large or long enough. I tried to buy a 7 mm piece but they were out of stock and ended up with a 9.5 mm, that sure left a lot of saw dust around my drill press. But that is all behind me now, I have added all the blocks and hard ware that goes along with this main yard ans there sure is a lot of it, I still have to make the sling and the Parral beads before I can add the sail.    ENJOY.

Regards   Lawrence

post-302-0-32859800-1407685443_thumb.jpg

Edited by canoe21

Hi Ship mates.

Work continues to be very slow in the old ship yard ever since I maid that boo-boo of building two fore mast lower yards. But all of that is behind me now as I have rebuilt the Lower Maim Mast Yard, attached the sail and it's Lifts.I have installed all of the Buntlines, and the Leechlines, these I have not Belayed at this time as I do want to be able to reshape the Mail lower sail; just a bit more before I lock it in place, This work will be carried out when the braces and the Bowlines are installed at a later date.. It is truly amazing at just how many control lines there are to control the sails on such a ship as the HMS Victory. I have had to change the belaying points on some of the lines in front of the main lower sail as they did not allow the sail to furrow out as I think it should, from what I under stand many of these lines were changed to fit the current sailing situation and had no set fixed points, ma-by I am wrong , but this is the way that I under stand the lines and there belaying points.                                        ENJOY.

Regards   Lawrence 

]post-302-0-68653500-1408029153_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-08094800-1408029227_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-44157700-1408029255_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-14148600-1408029285_thumb.jpg

Edited by canoe21

I want to thank you all for your visit to my build log. Ran into a bit of a mix up last night, as I was checking over my build in the old ship yard I was horrified to discover that fore some unknown reason I had installed the Main Top Sail in the place of the Main Course sail, I am still at a loss as to just how this happened but it did, so I put it to one of those seniors moments.  I did however correct this little problem and installed the proper lower Main Mast sail. The extra lower fore mast Yard that I built I have reworked that yard into the Main Mast Topsail Yard, a very easy Yard to build as most of the work has already been done, all I had to do was just cut the sizes down a bit., so all was not lost.           ENJOY .

Regards   Lawrence.

David  -   I do thank you very much  for your visit to my build log, for your very kind words and comments. The sheets are still on the bed. temp down to 55 F today so as you can see the sheets must stay on the bed and not into the HMS Victory Sails, Jerry put me wise to this little dig, some how I misted it. Also for your Like.

Eamonn  -  I thank you very much for your visit to my build log, for your overly kind words an d comments,also for your likes.

VonHoldingHausen    -  Welcome aboard, it's always nice to have a new crew member on board. Please come back often, your comments are always welcome, and thanks again for your like.

Geoff  -   Thank you for your visit to my build log, for your very kind words and nice comments, also for your likes.

Jerry  -  I thank you very much for your visit to my build log, for your overly kind words and comments.  It Is nice to see that you are on the mend, that you are recovering well from your trip to the Hospital for a correction to your very sour back, get well soon. It will be nice to see you back into the old ship yard doing what you enjoy. But do not rush things, the ship yard can wait another few days, this will give you time to think out your next job to do on your return,

Rich F.  -  , David B.  -  , Popeye  -  , Jason  -  , Arthur  -  , B.E.   -  , Keith  -  , I thank all of you very much for your visits to my build log, for your very kind words and nice comments. Also for all of your likes.