HMS Speedy by Vane - Vanguard Models - Scale 1:64 - Master Shipwright (limited edition)

Thanks for all the nice comments. Here are a couple of others shots from other angles. 

drjeckl... well i could had placed the gun ports slightly higher or the whale lower or other fine tune adjustments. I tend to measure on the closest distance on drawings and replicate that on the model. My advice is that you instead always think about the "bigger picture". What lines of the ship are most important to make perfect? What needs definitley to be in parallell etc for a nice look? Even though the fit of this kit is amazing, its still very much handmade and the kit will slightly vary against the plans. It might be a millimeter here and there.   So instead of simply measuring 6.5mm on the drawing and place the detail exactly there, think about how the detail is placed in relation to other things. 6 or 7mm might actually be better.   

I just realised that I been working on my Speedy for 1 year now. I hope I am able to rigg it more Speedily.... my problem is simply I do numerous of projects in parallel. And I bought an Airbrush which got me into plastics and I took a break from the wooden projects. 

DSC_0299.thumb.jpg.990fb8b6f31f090291aa8e787a1c602d.jpg

DSC_0301.thumb.jpg.8d501e14643e6a2724ff7ac9564ca8a9.jpg

Current builds: HMS Victory (Corel 1:98), HMS Snake (Caldercraft 1:64), HMBV Granado (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Diana (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Speedy (Vanguard Models 1:64) 

• 4 weeks later...

This shot kind of some up this years current status of my wooden builds. It will all become a nice family of 1:64 ships. Hopefullt i can at least finalize one of them during 2021. 

20210104_141059.jpg

Current builds: HMS Victory (Corel 1:98), HMS Snake (Caldercraft 1:64), HMBV Granado (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Diana (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Speedy (Vanguard Models 1:64) 

Wow... I’d be so confused trying to keep track of what I was doing with that many active builds, I can barely keep track of one 🤣. They all look great though. Granado was one of my favorite builds and stands proudly on my shelf. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

8 hours ago, Vane said:

This shot kind of some up this years current status of my wooden builds. It will all become a nice family of 1:64 ships. Hopefullt i can at least finalize one of them during 2021. 

20210104_141059.jpg

You must have a lot of room(s) in your house! I have already started to consider abandoning my Diana because of the room / space issue...

Have a good new year and success with your fleet!

Uwe

Thanks, well it depends on how i put them on display. We will see, its years away but if there will be glasscases for all of them it will be tigth.. I guess i will finish Speedy first and she is not that big.

22 minutes ago, Vane said:

glasscases for all of them

I never put them in glass cases,  that would spoil the affect for me on the shelf ) too bulky in my humble opinion.  I just turn them on the shelf every 6 months (like they do with the real Constitution :-D) so it fades evenly and (gently)use compressed air and a soft brush to (gently) dust them off.  Some of them have been on the shelf over a decade and still look fine. 

You can always buy a bigger house 😄

Regards,

Glenn

Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

10 hours ago, Oboship said:

I have already started to consider abandoning my Diana because of the room / space issue...

I'm just starting to build the case for my Diana (Ethalion)... it was when I costed the clear plastic and realised it alone would be over 200 pounds itself that I realised I'd built a seriously large model (although crossing the main yard was a hint)... but cover it I will because already it's a challenge getting into the nooks and crannies to dust her and I have children who benefit from not having to edge round fragile models all day :)

Vane, whatever you decide you're going to end up with a stunning fleet. Your skills are very evident in all your builds.

Oboship... have you considered rigging the yards braced round, or even building her as an admiralty model without the masts or rigging? (The much smaller option) Both would be preferable to not finishing?

Hi,

Yes, I've thought to build Diana as an admiralty model. However, the "problem" is that we will be moving to a smaller appartment in a few years.

I have -for the time being- 3 completed ship models, one under construction, 2 more from Vanguard still unboxed (all in 1:64) PLUS Diana on which I started about 10 years ago but put on hold for time reasons. Oh, I forgot to mention the three model steam engines that stand here collecting dust... So I will have to make a decision on my preferences.

Looking at Vane's Diana in her early stages though, has made me think again. But rationality will winn, I'm afraid 😕.

All the best
Uwe

My main mission is not to be able to put something on display when I build it. I just like to create stuff. Of course a ship is fantastic to look at, but its the therapy of putting it together that is the important part of it. And the more you build, it just becomes to overwhelming to put everything  up. One way can be just to have one special spot in your house and switch ships with the seasons.   

58 minutes ago, Vane said:

My main mission is not to be able to put something on display when I build it. I just like to create stuff. Of course a ship is fantastic to look at, but its the therapy of putting it together that is the important part of it. And the more you build, it just becomes to overwhelming to put everything  up. One way can be just to have one special spot in your house and switch ships with the seasons.   

Hi Vane,

It's my idea too: to do something creatively and enjoy the result once it is completed. As all (or probably most) on this forum share the same passion -historic ships- the beauty of them adds to the fun of building them. I like your idea of switching ships seasonwise but there still remains the question where to store those which are not on display?? Diana to me is a real borderline, sizewise, not to mention the challenging build as has been discussed here. But as I said above  -if I look at your Diana as she is now I am tempted...

Take care
Uwe

• 1 month later...

The Captain is not happy with the progress and decided to come and inspect the build. I promised that we will double our efforts....

20210224_172244.thumb.jpg.c47909e96d7d61f02e8912019ea713cc.jpg

20210224_172322.thumb.jpg.926381e22a3dd5dc33b43631635755ee.jpg

20210224_172010.thumb.jpg.583093602e183055e7d98b86a50a369c.jpg

20210224_172105.thumb.jpg.42f8fa10d938cb359fca0c463b6e27ca.jpg

• 1 year later...

I found a small error in the manual when working on the deck pumps. There is a second hole in the bottom deck to stear the dovel right. However, the instructions say the dovel should be 40mm. So I added some length so the dovel goes to the bottom. 

20220514_221854.jpg

20220514_221927.jpg

20220514_221602.jpg

Good to see you back on Speedy Vane!

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

Those pumps could use a spout like I added on Flirt. Nice to see you back at it. 

Regards,

Glenn

• 3 weeks later...

Finally some progress.... did a couple of mistakes on the bowsprit but this will have to do.

20220601_164828.jpg

Edited by Vane

Some more photos...

Besides from things being quite small (Speedy is a neet little ship) I would say that compared to the other kits I have, it was very easy to put all the masts together. Everything goes faster with clear instructions and alot of prefabricated parts that dont need much finetuning.

20220601_165057.jpg

20220601_164912.jpg

20220601_164947.jpg

20220601_165010.jpg

20220601_165025.jpg

20220601_164849.jpg

Besides from some minor touch-ups I have now completed the deck details. I wanted to fully rig the canons but the 2mm blocks were just too damn small for my fingers when trying to make hooks so I gave up. 

20220602_141331.thumb.jpg.96402b8ba6a77003cb1f4551d9600464.jpg

20220602_141237.thumb.jpg.def565ad138beadcdb6c9ced16555719.jpg

20220602_141230.thumb.jpg.2a2ac19ad1a6dc082bace5198c1335da.jpg

Just got back from the harbour for some inspiration for future builds.... USS Kearsage 1993... Waspclass... what a beast!

20220603_122213.thumb.jpg.a35e4c7c1abb93c177e173f7ff3540b2.jpg

Awful lot of running rust on her. Time for the crew to get busy between liberty calls. Nice picture, I can remember being moored in that same spot, castle in the background. Lovely city.

Current Build: Fair American - Model Shipways

Awaiting Parts - Rattlesnake

On the Shelf - English Pinnace

18Th Century Longboat

I stand firmly against piracy!

27 minutes ago, Vane said:

Just got back from the harbour for some inspiration for future builds.... USS Kearsage 1993... Waspclass... what a beast!

I should visit the National Museum of the Royal Navy - Hartlepool for inspiration which is about a 90 minute drive. The HMS Trincomalee is berthed there which is one of the two surviving British Frigates of her era. I have been a couple of times and really helps with get an good idea of what these ships were like.

HMS Trincomalee - Wikipedia

Glenn (UK)

Moving on to the ships boat... this is abit tricky but I think I am through the worst part... first couple of planks. Now it is stable and just keep adding pieces to it!

20220606_162625.jpg

20220606_162636.jpg