HMS Speedy by Vane - Vanguard Models - Scale 1:64 - Master Shipwright (limited edition)

Well, they turned out ok and the proportions looks great. Just need to be very careful here. The MDF design is very different from all other kits I come across. It would be interesting to try it out for a much larger ship. The skeleton of your 1/64 Victory looks really impressive. I guess you will have that design for your upcoming Bristol as well?

Current builds: HMS Victory (Corel 1:98), HMS Snake (Caldercraft 1:64), HMBV Granado (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Diana (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Speedy (Vanguard Models 1:64) 

Made a few side projects before continueing with the planking. Everything is precut making it very easy to work.

20191206_225023.jpg

20191206_192548.jpg

20191206_075904.jpg

20191206_191746.jpg

20191206_075927.jpg

20191205_214604.jpg

Current builds: HMS Victory (Corel 1:98), HMS Snake (Caldercraft 1:64), HMBV Granado (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Diana (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Speedy (Vanguard Models 1:64) 

Looking very nice Vane, you're doing a great job!!

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

I can't believe how fast you are - it'll take me at least 3 months to get as far as you have, and I'm retired! How much does Chris's innovative design help in that regard? Everything certainly seems to fit together really well.

Keep up the good work. I'm really enjoying your log and can't wait to get my Speedy at Christmas.

Derek

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

Thanks. Well its a design that dont require that much fitting.  Its also a small ship. Planking Victory in the same design would take alot more time just due to size. And i am also abit devoted at the time. I Will be travelling over Xmas and NYE so the build will take a 3 week break soon...

Boxwood... i am in love! 

Its a very hard material and the result is way different than my Tanganyika. My new Proxxon sander really came in handy here. Its a hard mtrl so much more difficult to cut.

20191208_103811.jpg

20191208_103835.jpg

20191208_151621.jpg

This is optional according to the manual. But I decided to attach the keel elements before starting the 2nd planking simply because its kind of a slippery hull when everything is sanded  smooth. With the keel my fingers gets something to grab when holding the ship. We will see if it was a good decision i guess...

20191209_223519.jpg

The first plank of the second planking is always really important to get right. Here i also like the design with lasercut markings so you dont need to measure anything.

20191213_222209.jpg

When i did this the first time I used boiling water, PVA and pins. That is ok if you will paint the hull completely and can use woodfiller afterwards. Nowadays, especially on models when the wood will be visable, I have upgraded my technique and go with the "Chuck method". Instead of bending and pinning down the plank, I spend much more time on preparations. This involves two things: i prebend the plank in the "wrong direction" using hot air and clamps. I also spend some time on sanding to make sure it will lie flat against the previous plank. The final result is an S-shaped plank.

20191213_221901.jpg

20191213_221741.jpg

To fix the plank  i put CA on the first 10cm and press it down for just a few seconds until it sticks.  

20191213_222302.thumb.jpg.29b3eec80d61e8dcd38bd12dadabe624.jpg20191213_222331.thumb.jpg.2cca623221ff9e8b924e28ab58ef7af4.jpg

20191213_225649.thumb.jpg.f2812e39a4013569c9d701f1d5303388.jpg

Thereafter I use a toothpick or some pointy scrapwood with CA on top of it adding more on the plank and press it down. Repeat a few times and finally the whole plank is fixed. 

20191213_230505.jpg

Interesting, I have to try that too. there are many ways to do this. But i Think the gamechanger for me was when i bought my heatgun from Proxxon and started prebending the planks sideways. Everything fits so much better.

20191213_230658.jpg

Great build log Vane! Lots of good photos and explanations. I'm getting some great ideas. Thanks!

Peter

Build Log: Billing - Cutty Sark

In The Gallery: HMS Unicorn, HMAV Bounty, L'Etoile, Marie Jeanne, Lilla Dan, Zeeschouw "Irene"

A Toast: To a wind that blows, A ship that goes, And the lass that loved a sailor!

Thanks 4 the support.  Since this is the first buildlog on Vanguards  Speedy, I try to explain  more and also review the kit as i work on it. 

Yes I know, this looks ridicurlos! 

However, by using leftover walnut strips on the areas that will be coppered i will save at least 25 strips of boxwood. I am also not that carefull on the details here. Pins, Water and PVA!

20191215_103511.jpg

20191215_103621.jpg

I like your thinking with the walnut and saving boxwood strips, Vane, you're doing a great job on a very nice ship.

Edited by Edwardkenway

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Thanks alot. Boxwood looks really flat and precise once its sanded. Some people just use Walnut and hardly sand at all. I have started to pay more attension to everything nowadays. It will be really intresting to compare my Tanganyika Granado hull with this Boxwood hull once things start to be finilized.

Thanks. I dont use water at all. I just fix a strip of Wood with 3 clamps to an old cutting board. Then I open the left clamp and bend the strip as far as possible in the "wrong" direction without it breaking and clamp it down again. Then I do the same to the right side. Sometimes I adjust the position and even bend it further by adding an additional clamp. Once I got the shape I want, I take my airgun and heat up the bended parts for 20 seconds and then let it rest and cool down for a few minutes. Remove the clamps and viola.. u are done!

16 minutes ago, Vane said:

Once I got the shape I want, I take my airgun and heat up the bended parts for 20 seconds and then let it rest and cool down for a few minutes. Remove the clamps and viola.. u are done!

A heat gun is an interesting idea, of course I recently bought a small travel iron to apply the heat but I feel like the heat gun would be easier (maybe not cheaper though). Thanks for sharing the technique!

7 hours ago, VTHokiEE said:

A heat gun is an interesting idea, of course I recently bought a small travel iron to apply the heat but I feel like the heat gun would be easier (maybe not cheaper though). Thanks for sharing the technique!

Did you already experimented with the traveler iron? I bought also one after seeing it in the video of Chuck.

3 hours ago, mugje said:

Did you already experimented with the traveler iron? I bought also one after seeing it in the video of Chuck.

Not yet (I haven’t done a planked model yet 🤫 but my next one will be), I saw one in a store and thought that I would pick it up for when I get to planking.