HMS Speedy by Vane - Vanguard Models - Scale 1:64 - Master Shipwright (limited edition)

I thought this photo kind of explained it all. I use the heatgun for the 2nd planking. I am not that careful during the 1st. U just need to get the shape right.  I soaked the gunpatterns in hot water and placed it in the rabbit and put it in place with PVA. 

It was a very simple fit with no adjustments.

20191129_230036.jpg.5c24122e7cfb3bc3584d0e9c21f8c295.jpg

Current builds: HMS Victory (Corel 1:98), HMS Snake (Caldercraft 1:64), HMBV Granado (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Diana (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Speedy (Vanguard Models 1:64) 

I dont think  u need to worry that much for the first planking. Just get the gunports in the right position. Later u sand everything down and use some woodfilling  where its needed. It dont have to be pretty. Its the 2nd planking where all efforts should go Into.

Current builds: HMS Victory (Corel 1:98), HMS Snake (Caldercraft 1:64), HMBV Granado (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Diana (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Speedy (Vanguard Models 1:64) 

Vane: Ok, that’s helpful. I guess I was over-thinking it. 

Bob: thanks. I’ve used Chuck’s edge bending techniques on other builds but I don’t think it would work on the gun port pattern as it’s too wide (see Vane’s picture above). However Vane’s advice is that it shouldn’t be an issue so I’ll get on with it tomorrow. 

Derek

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

Thanks Vane, very kind of you. Derek, I seem to remember the bulwark pieces are cut to a shape that doesn't require lateral bending. I've decided not to scratch Speedy, this build will keep me busy until Maris Stella release their kit. Plus I've been on other project for a couple of years (paintings mostly) so need to get my hand and eye working (I've noticed the arthritis has got worse!!) Lots for all of us to do!

Thanks Bob. I suspect we’re at cross purposes - my fault for mentioning edge bending. You’re right when you say the gun port patterns don’t require lateral bending. What I struggled with was bending the pattern across it’s width to follow the tumblehome. This was quite pronounced near the bows. Rather than hijack Vane’s I’ll cover my experience in my own log. 

Derek

Cheers, Derek

On 1/6/2020 at 9:48 PM, Bobbuild said:

Looks like an interesting plan. I hope Chris at Vanguard decides to do the Bellona kit. It looks like a really beautiful ship. I will be starting the Speedy after finishing POF of Bob Hunts LSS AVS "Patrick Henry" and Vanguard's Alert

So far Vanguards has come up with Alert and Speedy in various mtrl options as well as quality accessories to "pimp" ur other kits such as deadeyes, hearts, ladders.  As i understand, the next kit to come out is an unnamed smaller vessel where we have gotten a teaser skeleton.

20200110_091616.jpg.a3c1f1ae709a9335780bf535d14be6b4.jpg

Chris has also been quite clear that the 50gun HMS Bristol is under development but he wants to ramp up his business with the minor vessels first. Various of other frigattes has been mentioned as future possibilities but i dont think anything is written in stone yet. 

Personally, I really enjoy following his thread and seeing how things progress. Its always exciting when something new is posted. I will much likely buy more kits from him as they are the best. I also want to support the startup of Vanguard models, making sure we get more interesting kits in the future. I hope he sticks with 1:64 and the Royal Navy for a while since that is my direction too. Bellona would be really great to see and a high priority for me if it comes out.

I can definitely agree about watching Chris's thread. When he finally gets around to developing the HMS Indefatigable I'm going to be bouncing off the walls.

It will be Razeed 44 for sure. If I recall correctly Somewhere in Chris's thread he talked about having a 1/64 and 1/72 Sir. Edward Pellew ready for casting.

Yes, of course, soon its time to start coppering again and it will be interesting to see how the Vanguards copper comes out compared to my HMS Snake (Caldercraft).

Here is the result after sanding. 

20200118_133256.thumb.jpg.6fd9b9b8d10030382cb1d310199c1bd4.jpg

I am no masterplanker but it looks much better than my previous builds.

20200118_133214.thumb.jpg.8fb82f68f3d52d38b257e084e3d3d20e.jpg

20200118_133308.thumb.jpg.38c8d0d7e6ed8f88592e515092719782.jpg

Boxwood is amazing to work with and i am really happy i went with the master shipwright version. However, there are some colour variations in the wood. I tried to use similar planks and picked out the most "yellowish ". Some are almost gray in comparison.

Time to decide if i should plank the deck myself or use the lazer engraved... what do you think?

20200119_170819.thumb.jpg.9f712c080f14a9e58e30bb2f795435a2.jpg

It amazing how much precision its in laser manufacturing.  Its an amazing fit just a few holes at the end that is off my a few micrometers. 

20200119_170831.thumb.jpg.6c7583a51b215eb7a9d8d4080a2ef8c6.jpg

20200119_171117.thumb.jpg.6086ba41c486e7f28b2e27eca22e655d.jpg

2 hours ago, Vane said:

Time to decide if i should plank the deck myself or use the lazer engraved... what do you think?

Plank it using maple, or holly or maybe that leftover boxwood?

4 hours ago, Vane said:

I’d be really tempted to plank it with that spare boxwood. The laser engraving seems like you have a great template to use and make the work a bit easier.

I’d like to eventually see the laser engraved deck in person, but right now I feel like planking the deck would be a really nice enhancement  to the build.

On the one hand, I think a properly laid plank deck in maple would look best. But on the other hand, the laserdeck would same me tons of work and it also includes some details difficult to make. And it would be really interesting to try it out and see if this works. This kit has so many New solutions so perhaps its just right för this build.

Oh come on Vane, those margin planks are a piece of cake! Well, not really but they are a skill we need to learn, really sets a deck apart....if it wasn’t a lot of work, it wouldn’t feel so great when it’s done and looking awesome!     
I don’t know about you, but to me, Master Shipwright and laser etched deck are kind of mutually exclusive.... no disrespect to you, Chris, or  Vanguard Models intended. Just my own opinionated opinion.... 😀😁

Edited by ASAT

2 hours ago, Vane said:

On the one hand, I think a properly laid plank deck in maple would look best. But on the other hand, the laserdeck would same me tons of work and it also includes some details difficult to make. And it would be really interesting to try it out and see if this works. This kit has so many New solutions so perhaps its just right för this build.

Here is a way to explore an alternate deck without damaging the kit provided one. 

You can transfer a template to tissue paper.  Then you glue your planks to the tissue paper, allowing for the waterway  .  If it is satisfactory when finished, you can glue the whole thing to the existing deck.  I have done this with success on some small projects, and it should work at this level also.

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

4 hours ago, SpyGlass said:

I was toying with idea of just using bits of the laser engraved deck like the lovely nibbed section detail and the nice joints on the adjacent planks but could i get a colour match of the wood ?

I think that is an excellent idea.  I don't think a precise color match would be as important as the over-all appearance.

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

Great work so far Vane - I don't think I'll catch up with you at the rate you're progressing! Like you, I'm in two minds about using the laser engraved deck. On the one hand the detail and precision is great; on the other hand, I'm worried that the laser char stands out a little too much. I might risk a light sanding to tone it down a little. If that doesn't work, I'll use it as a template and lay my own deck. I quite enjoy decking, and I've got a reasonable supply of fairly uniform boxwood, so it'll be no hardship. And I like Gregory's suggestion about tissue paper, which sounds like a good way to go.

Derek

Cheers, Derek

If it helps you make a decision,  the laser etched deck sheet has some issues with the plank shift pattern.  There would not be any butt joints in the deck planking between the gratings etc.  they werent needed with such a short span and would only make everything weaker.  They would have used one length between the fittings down the center of the deck as the distance between fittings was so short.  They wouldnt continue the shift pattern at all like its made.