Vane

HMS Speedy by Vane - Vanguard Models - Scale 1:64 - Master Shipwright (limited edition)

If you can hold off a couple of years, then the Amati Victory looks like a good proposition ;) 

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Bob Portsmouth said:

In my eyes there is little that can match Speedy's prettyness. I've been working up to a build for 3 years, now the time has come. Chris' kit appears very nice but 1:64 for a cutter sized ship if far too small for me, I don't know why he chose this over a quarter scale. I was going to scratch a POB but Maris Stella's 1:48 will save a lot of time, If it doesn't arrive soon I'll start without them!! Which parts are boxwood Vane?? Cheers, Bob

flirt, speedy 1782 sophie.jpg

I am guessing that he intends to do most of his line up in 1:64. Yes its a very small brig but with all lasercut parts and details i dont think the scale will be a problem and as i said earlier, I prefer to do all my builds in the same scale. 1:48 would definitely take it up a notch but other larger kits would be very impractical in enourmous size so i think 1:64 is the sweetspot. 

You get some extra stuff in this version, Chris thread explains it. When it comes to boxwood its the strips for the 2nd planking.

Edited by Vane

Posted (edited)

Furthermore, looking into the "competition" there are a few other kits that kind of are in the same segment, mostly from Caldercraft. Mars, Crusier,  Jealoise, Badger, Supply brig. Perhaps even the Russian Mercury. Those are larger 2 masters but doesnt come near the beautiful lines of Speedy IMHO. 

images (6).jpeg

images (5).jpeg

images (8).jpeg

images (10).jpeg

images (11).jpeg

images (12).jpeg

Edited by Vane
Photos

9 hours ago, James H said:

If you can hold off a couple of years, then the Amati Victory looks like a good proposition ;) 

Its not like i am running out of current work yet....haha

Hi Vane,

I hope you are still enjoying your holiday in the sun. I've been following your Speedy log with interest, and have just started my own. I have got to the stage where I need to fit the gun port patterns, and want to make sure I get it right. Like you, I use a hot air gun to bend wood, and I don't think I'll have a problem bending the patterns round the curves from bow to stern. However it looks like the strips will also have to bend widthwise (ie top to bottom)  in order to follow the curves of the bulkhead frames, especially around the bow area. In the instructions Chris advises clamping the strips to the top of the frames and using pins to keep the bottom edges tight. 

Did you find that this was sufficient to keep the patterns in close contact with the frames? When I tried a dry fit I found it very difficult to keep the bottom edges of the patterns flat against the front few bow frames. I'd be grateful for your thoughts before committing any glue - the last thing I want is an ugly 'step' that would throw the subsequent planking.  

Derek

I quite like the Halifax but I chose Speedy because of the graceful looks. There was only Speedy and Flirt built on cutter lines. (Funny to think Cochran was given Speedy as a punishment for 'insubordination') I only build small ships (I've lived a mile from Victory for 45 years, I never did like the looks! Nor did Peter G and he was the curator!! Too fat!) So I have a living room full of 1:48's and 1:50's. That keeps M S's kit in scale with my other ships. There isn't a 'Sophie' as described in the novels, O'Brian invented it. It's Speedy with a masters cabin under a poop deck. I'm currently building Diligence, POF, which is my 4th cutter. It's larger (1:44) because it was intended to go into the Dockyard Museum. I don't think it will be good enough so no doubt I'll keep it. After a brig I'll probably move back to coastal fishing boats where I started. My idea is to produce an action diorama, blood on the decks, have a try at smoke and flame (lol) There'll be so much detail and scratch made crew etc. I would seriously benefit from a kit to save time. Meantime I'm enjoying your build, please keep it detailed with any problems you run into. Lots to learn!!

WP_20190604_003.jpg

DelF. If you don't laterally bend the strakes (downwards) it's difficult to avoid buckling. See Chuck Passaro's youtube video Planking the Winchelsea. I use a different technique but the thinking is the same. I only single plank so they're a lot thicker, 1,5mm minimum, so I use a steamer cobbled together with B&Q plumbing bits! Then usually clamp onto the frames to set. It's a bit of a time consuming fag but I enjoy planking, and there's loads of guns to build!!

I thought this photo kind of explained it all. I use the heatgun for the 2nd planking. I am not that careful during the 1st. U just need to get the shape right.  I soaked the gunpatterns in hot water and placed it in the rabbit and put it in place with PVA. 

It was a very simple fit with no adjustments.

20191129_230036.jpg.5c24122e7cfb3bc3584d0e9c21f8c295.jpg

I dont think  u need to worry that much for the first planking. Just get the gunports in the right position. Later u sand everything down and use some woodfilling  where its needed. It dont have to be pretty. Its the 2nd planking where all efforts should go Into.

Bob, u got a great build there. Museum Q in my opinion! Yes, if ur only into minor boats its fully understood a larger scale is better.

Vane: Ok, that’s helpful. I guess I was over-thinking it. 

Bob: thanks. I’ve used Chuck’s edge bending techniques on other builds but I don’t think it would work on the gun port pattern as it’s too wide (see Vane’s picture above). However Vane’s advice is that it shouldn’t be an issue so I’ll get on with it tomorrow. 

Derek

Thanks Vane, very kind of you. Derek, I seem to remember the bulwark pieces are cut to a shape that doesn't require lateral bending. I've decided not to scratch Speedy, this build will keep me busy until Maris Stella release their kit. Plus I've been on other project for a couple of years (paintings mostly) so need to get my hand and eye working (I've noticed the arthritis has got worse!!) Lots for all of us to do!

Thanks Bob. I suspect we’re at cross purposes - my fault for mentioning edge bending. You’re right when you say the gun port patterns don’t require lateral bending. What I struggled with was bending the pattern across it’s width to follow the tumblehome. This was quite pronounced near the bows. Rather than hijack Vane’s I’ll cover my experience in my own log. 

Derek

Ok Derek. Just looking at Diligence, it was only 8' shorter than Speedy built on the same lines. There isn't much of a tumblehome (though that could be due to me building??)

On 1/6/2020 at 9:48 PM, Bobbuild said:

Looks like an interesting plan. I hope Chris at Vanguard decides to do the Bellona kit. It looks like a really beautiful ship. I will be starting the Speedy after finishing POF of Bob Hunts LSS AVS "Patrick Henry" and Vanguard's Alert

So far Vanguards has come up with Alert and Speedy in various mtrl options as well as quality accessories to "pimp" ur other kits such as deadeyes, hearts, ladders.  As i understand, the next kit to come out is an unnamed smaller vessel where we have gotten a teaser skeleton.

20200110_091616.jpg.a3c1f1ae709a9335780bf535d14be6b4.jpg

Chris has also been quite clear that the 50gun HMS Bristol is under development but he wants to ramp up his business with the minor vessels first. Various of other frigattes has been mentioned as future possibilities but i dont think anything is written in stone yet. 

Personally, I really enjoy following his thread and seeing how things progress. Its always exciting when something new is posted. I will much likely buy more kits from him as they are the best. I also want to support the startup of Vanguard models, making sure we get more interesting kits in the future. I hope he sticks with 1:64 and the Royal Navy for a while since that is my direction too. Bellona would be really great to see and a high priority for me if it comes out.

I can definitely agree about watching Chris's thread. When he finally gets around to developing the HMS Indefatigable I'm going to be bouncing off the walls.

Bending the gun port strips is an old issue - Speedy is nothing like as difficult as say Pegasus.

Soak the strip fit it and clamp or pin - let it dry - and then do it again !

A bit of time and you can get the strip to sit exactly without having to clamp it to shape as you glue.

Lots of Fly/Pegasus logs but heres a pointer to mine at the strip shaping point gunport strip shaping

Edited by SpyGlass

Do you think it will be the original version with 64 guns or the razeed with 44?

Or two options in one kit, but that sounds challanging to design...

It will be Razeed 44 for sure. If I recall correctly Somewhere in Chris's thread he talked about having a 1/64 and 1/72 Sir. Edward Pellew ready for casting.

Yes, of course, soon its time to start coppering again and it will be interesting to see how the Vanguards copper comes out compared to my HMS Snake (Caldercraft).

Here is the result after sanding. 

20200118_133256.thumb.jpg.6fd9b9b8d10030382cb1d310199c1bd4.jpg

I am no masterplanker but it looks much better than my previous builds.

20200118_133214.thumb.jpg.8fb82f68f3d52d38b257e084e3d3d20e.jpg

20200118_133308.thumb.jpg.38c8d0d7e6ed8f88592e515092719782.jpg

Boxwood is amazing to work with and i am really happy i went with the master shipwright version. However, there are some colour variations in the wood. I tried to use similar planks and picked out the most "yellowish ". Some are almost gray in comparison.

Time to decide if i should plank the deck myself or use the lazer engraved... what do you think?

20200119_170819.thumb.jpg.9f712c080f14a9e58e30bb2f795435a2.jpg

It amazing how much precision its in laser manufacturing.  Its an amazing fit just a few holes at the end that is off my a few micrometers. 

20200119_170831.thumb.jpg.6c7583a51b215eb7a9d8d4080a2ef8c6.jpg

20200119_171117.thumb.jpg.6086ba41c486e7f28b2e27eca22e655d.jpg

Thanks but its not mine. I saw it somewhere on this forum before. Its really great to pick up tips and tricks here! 

2 hours ago, Vane said:

Time to decide if i should plank the deck myself or use the lazer engraved... what do you think?

Plank it using maple, or holly or maybe that leftover boxwood?