Vane

HMS Speedy by Vane - Vanguard Models - Scale 1:64 - Master Shipwright (limited edition)

Last plank of the 2nd planking and the strategy to use walnut under the copper paid of well... got about 20 leftover boxwood stripes to be used in other projects!

I skipped the CA on the top planks and went back to PVA and clamps. 

20200310_202435.jpg

Looking good! The sanding shows how well you laid the second planking.

Derek

Looking good Vane!  Your right, boxwood is so much better than walnut to work with, and very nice planking job.

One question, it looks like you have the planking on the stern fascia going vertical.  Its the second Speedy build where the builder has done that and curious if its in the instructions?  Considering that the frames would be vertical, the planking would need to be horizontal like the counter.  The square tuck correctly has the planking vertical.  Probably very fixable now if you wanted to, not sure how visible it is though in person.

Great job on planking. The pear wood is nice, I wish I’d had the chance for the boxwood option. I can’t even find it to buy.  Yours looks great. 

7 hours ago, Beef Wellington said:

Looking good Vane!  Your right, boxwood is so much better than walnut to work with, and very nice planking job.

One question, it looks like you have the planking on the stern fascia going vertical.  Its the second Speedy build where the builder has done that and curious if its in the instructions?  Considering that the frames would be vertical, the planking would need to be horizontal like the counter.  The square tuck correctly has the planking vertical.  Probably very fixable now if you wanted to, not sure how visible it is though in person.

Yes i saw the previous discussion on this but decided to follow the manual. 

20200313_080022.jpg

Here's what I wrote in my Speedy log in response to the same question:

"I've had a word with Chris, and he decided to go with vertical planking on Speedy based on his research which found many contemporary model pictures showing similar sized and period models with the stern planking running vertically, not horizontal or angled. Looking at my copy of the AOTS book on Alert I noticed that the transom had horizontal beams as well as vertical frames. The Alert book showed the transom planked horizontally, but depending on how the beams tied into the frames I imagine vertical planks would be just as possible as horizontal. I'm going to leave the planks as they are, mainly because of Chris's research, but also I quite like the alternating pattern of vertical-horizontal-vertical".

Derek

I think sometimes “because it looks good” is enough of an answer. If we’re not under contract to a museum we’re ok making a few aesthetic decisions on our own.

Yes i agree. I dont want to build my ships totally wrong but i mostly just want nice looking models to display in my home. Some variation between each one is just good in my opinion. And frankly, who will notice a thing like that besides like some of the People in this forum.

I'm of the opinion that all the planking would be horizontal with the exception of the square tuck, on Alert diagonal, on Cheerful vertical. This would make more sense than comparing it to brigs generally as Speedy is based on a revenue cutter design without aft cabins. This would also be necessary allow the planks to fit to the transom knees. However, in terms of the build, and the real ship, it's likely that the transom would be painted so the direction would be less visible (so leave it be Vane!!)

4 hours ago, Bob Portsmouth said:

Speedy is based on a revenue cutter design

I believe Speedy is a brig, Alert is the Vanguard model based on a cutter as is Cheerful. At any rate As did Vane  I’ll go with @Chris design when I build mine.

Speedy and Flirt are 2 ships (brig sloops) designed on cutter hulls for for speed and maneuverability. The only 2 in their class. Oddly they didn't take full advantage of the design (Cochran I think would have agreed!) If you compare the Greenwich drafts they are essentially identical, and, in fact, not that much bigger. I'm not talking about other models here but the design of RN ships at the time. So, in terms of the build I would say the the overall arrangement shares far more with a cutter than any brig of that era (Cruizer class etc). Since the transom is supported on knees I think the planking would HAVE to be horizontal. I think that Chris got this detail wrong.

44 minutes ago, glbarlow said:

I believe Speedy is a brig

Lots of confusion, this Speedy (1782) is a Brig on a cutter style hull, then there is Speedy (1828) which is a cutter built on the lines of the revenue cutter Lapwing (1816) which I am currently trying to produce drawings for, but it's a slow process.

Ahhh but chaps what  makes you think that the transom was only one layer of planking!

So it could be any direction!

I was thinking of doing diagonal - but simply because it looks pretty !

Alright gentlemens, enough discussion and speculation on board directions inside this buildlog.  Interesting topic if someone want to create a thread on it seperately. But too much discussion here simply ruins for those who want to follow the build. Thanks 4 understanding. 

Hi Craig, yes, all the cutters of that era, from 1777 (Alert) to Diligence 1818?, Lapwing, Swift etc.... were pretty much interchangeable (I'm building Diligence at 1:44 atm. All the fore ends were the same, some had longer counters, all about 70' LOD. I enlarged the original drafts and used the cutter speedy for above decks, there are no surviving drawings of that for Diligence, It would have been much easier to stick with Speedy 1828 (free plans on Shipmodell!) but I wanted to POF. I think the only 2 with extensive build details are Alert and Cheerful, which is why Pete wrote his book and Chuck made the kit! Are you intending to POB Craig? If you're going bulkhead Speedy will save a lot of grief, And I haven't found any above deck details for Lapwing. (You could just change the name, like my sprightly!!!) Spyglass, the drafts show a typical single transom.

WP_20190604_003.jpg

On 12/1/2019 at 2:33 PM, chris watton said:

I would honestly use the extra thin ones that come with the kit. These are Amati special pins and are perfect to hold the first planking to the MDF bulkheads without splitting any materials.

'Pins that come with the kit?'. 

Quick Rummage

Oh.....

On 12/6/2019 at 7:40 PM, Vane said:

First planking done and I have just had the kit abit more than a week. What I like about Speedy is that Chris have made many new design solutions that really make it easier and faster to build. A few observations so far:

1) Pre-made rabbit to support the first planking. 

2) Laser cut holes from "the wrong side" so you dont need to measure

3) The precut walls comes in 2 pieces 

4) MDF skeleton with many very close bulkheads

5) Only identified weakness so far are these 4 very fragile pieces that easily break during assembly. The would perhaps be made in a different mtrl than MDF?

Now its time to start with the 2nd planking in boxwood. Here he has also clear markings on where the first board should be placed so nothing to measure... 🙂

20191206_202653.jpg

Very nice job. Well done. I'm following behind you - interesting to see your build. Thanks for sharing.

Alot of fitting, filing and sanding... innerwalls, and gunports finally done! This will never be perfect, just need to work untill u think its good enough for your build. Next step is to do some black airbrushing and then I plan to start with the copper.

20200321_214139.thumb.jpg.78a10dcf3f5c56ee9b9389a371205b92.jpg

20200321_213957.thumb.jpg.72f285ee88ea9f8a0bedec2664c6fd50.jpg

20200321_214044.thumb.jpg.75d121710db972812cc8d37bd9c3dcd9.jpg

Thanks Jason, but I kind of see the opposite. When i look directly at my model I dont see that many scratches but when i see some of my photos on my 32inch screen suddenly everything look like Swiss Cheese! haha

But this build is definitely better than my other ongoing. I learnt that you cant sand enough on a model. You really need to work it if you want it to be good. Just look at  Sloanes scratch build of HMS Bellona. He spends hours on each single piece. I am too impatient for that level but perhaps when i continue on my HMS Diana i can raise the bar higher for myself.

Finally, now it start to look like a really nice ship... sorry I mean Slop-brig.

Me and my airbrush are not friends yet so it took a couple of hours to do this and i also sprayed the building stand just to make it abit more natural on my shelf when not Working on her. 

What do you think?

20200322_172423.thumb.jpg.4651499c91723a8ff32329466400cd68.jpg

20200322_172446.thumb.jpg.f40a5e9739e05288ff3e0112f85197e7.jpg

20200322_172457.thumb.jpg.285a3c1a0665d08491a8e3f035bcf0ce.jpg

20200322_172523.thumb.jpg.be98487eef7478ab5cc62b6281160502.jpg

20200322_172541.thumb.jpg.201968172a64d7cac76d829260efb7bb.jpg

Looking really good. I agree about the sanding. I think I used to be afraid to sand too much because 1mm planking doesn't seem very thick, but it's surprising how much you can sand it without doing any harm. On Speedy I really attacked the first and second planking with coarse then medium sandpaper to smooth out the surface as much as possible and it looks like you've done the same.

Derek