Vane

HMS Speedy by Vane - Vanguard Models - Scale 1:64 - Master Shipwright (limited edition)

First row on both sides done!  I dont have that much experience in this but I must say that Vanguards has done it again with pre etched patterns etc making this step much easier. The plates also looks much better than what i have on my Snake from Caldercraft. I Probably need to order these for my Diana in the future. Another tip is also to start using a New bottle of CA. Old bottles not have the same consistence and with the frustration of constantly getting "too attached" to your ship you want to make it as simple as possible. 

20200323_233401.thumb.jpg.52422b6d00ea5cd18219b651faeb2d63.jpg

20200323_233121.thumb.jpg.35339527885e7c2d7ca7d21eefcb51a2.jpg

The hull behind the rudder show how much nicer boxwood is over walnut. I’m sure pear wood is great but wish there was still a boxwood option. 

nicely done!

Thanks, I am still a beginner when it comes to this but this copper were way more easy to apply than those on my Snake.

25 minutes ago, Vane said:

Thanks, I am still a beginner when it comes to this but this copper were way more easy to apply than those on my Snake.

Looks good to me! I'm just starting my second planking so will come back to your photos for additional help when I start my copper. Really nice job!

I thought of using a small plank first but this kit is  so small so the proportions would look a bit odd. 

Thanks

Preparing some of the details for airbrushing.

20200402_222905.thumb.jpg.b73553116fb3465d6a8ab76e5420ac9d.jpg

Its feels great to finally start moving on from the hullbuilding stage. Thats basically all I been doing since I started this hobby again. The last year has been productive and i built 3 hulls.. this one and Snake and Granado. Hopefully i can complete a ship before the end of this year and not starting on new kits 😛

19 minutes ago, Vane said:

Hopefully i can complete a ship before the end of this year and not starting on new kits 😛

Well you've got 3 to choose from🤣.

Speedy is looking very nice btw.

And it depends on what kits Chris brings out!!!!

Thanks.  I dont know much about how it should be, just tried to follow the pattern. But once filing you need to adjust to various factors. Not easy to get it perfect.

20191130_143650.jpg.e902b1a3b3644e6b4b4c9a9c744439b7.jpg

4 hours ago, captain_hook said:

unusual design with all gunports and sweepports completely square

I’m not sure why you think this unusual, lots of ships are designed this way, including this one. 

AFAIK it depends on the curvature of the deck. If the deck is rather flat (which is the case for bigger ships) most gunports are rather square or rectangled. But take a look at the NMM Plan below (don‘t know if it is speedy or something lookalike). If you follow the deck to the left (stern) or the right (bow) the gunports become more like parallelograms. This is because the sides are defined by the frames of the ship which are usually orthogonal to the waterline or keel while the upper and lower edges of the gunports and sweepports following the deck (and its curve, indicated by the red line on the plan). 

0C2938B6-73D2-4C2C-B713-FA4C8EF2A10E.jpeg

54ECC378-CC19-4B7F-ABA9-BF28389599B1.jpeg

Here is a line drawing taken from Speedy designs, please note the gun ports, they are the same for the pre-cut patterns, as they are taken from the pre-cut patterns. They are the same as the original Admiralty draft. I am assuming optical illusions come into play with some pics. They are all 90 degrees to the keel, vertically, but almost follow the sheer, but not quite, as per the original plans.

ETA, Just included the actual laser cut patterns for the gun port parts

Speedy profile.jpg

Speedy patterns.jpg

On 2/3/2020 at 10:38 AM, Bob Portsmouth said:

As an adviser on other forums

I'd like to see some of your work Bob, I recommend your adding links to galleries or build logs to your signature line so we can see how you do it.

I did a few mistakes with my coppering but i am overall happy with the result. Its the 2nd ship i do this on so i am still learning but now i feel comfortable for the next time (Diana). The kit included two sheets of copper and its plenty of metal over.  These sheets are way better than the Caldercraft version so i might have to upgrade for my future builds....

20200409_203031.thumb.jpg.37f5bad6f22e0505a579e1797008b6ac.jpg

Just a short note as a reminder that Speedy would have flown a pre 1800 Ensign, without the St Patrick's Cross. Her ensign could have been red, white or blue, depending under which Admiral she sailed.

Mike

I do not remember who wrote it but someone said if you see something on your model that you are not happy with you better go back and fix it because otherwise that will be the only thing you see when you look at the finished model...

20200412_222838.jpg

2 hours ago, Vane said:

I do not remember who wrote it but someone said if you see something on your model that you are not happy with you better go back and fix it because otherwise that will be the only thing you see when you look at the finished model...

20200412_222838.jpg

At this stage of build the gunports can easily be reshaped. You may use a thin strip of stainless steel as a guide. Just clamp it in the correct position, roughly shape the port and use a needle file for the last steps. The steel strip will act as a border and is hard to damage with the file. You can achieve very clean edges this way.

29 minutes ago, captain_hook said:

ou are not happy with you better go back and fix it

Yeah, you're going to want to fix that. Careful and light application of your #11 blade and flat file should take care of it. Once painted red it will be lost to the eye with the completed model.