Converting a Backyard Shed into a Model Workshop

That’s not snow! This was the first night...but I got 23” in a day and a half 😢 ...so heated sidewalks maybe??06A644FF-6B87-488D-936D-71C309BB3B32.thumb.jpeg.ae109a1d45381b2963b8303f8db263f0.jpeg

In regards the above photos and (obvious) sub-zero freezing, I can only say.....

🥶 - I'm just glad it AIN'T ME!!!!!

Seriously, I'm feeling for you guys, but I remember a time in the '50s & '60s when our winters here in NC were quite cold, at least a foot of snow a couple times each season, and I-C-Y!!!! Certainly not as extreme as your present conditions, but times are changin'....we all have to adjust. Sad fact today.

Today was an insulation installation day - it's ugly, and messy, so no pix!!!! I had 4 rolls of various pink insulation sitting around that I used on the back wall of the shed. Crammed it in, doesn't matter!!! Fill the void, raise the temp!!!! Later, I'll buy some 23" wide stuff to continue with, but I couldn't see letting this stuff go to waste. Wish the replacement window was here but that won't happen until the 20th. So, not a lot to report further. Tomorrow - starting to dig up fence posts one by one (12 total) until gone. And, perhaps some MORE rearrangement of "stuff" in order to continue the wiring around the right side of the shed.

Stay warm & dry....happy modeling!

Hank

Construction Underway:

Entering Builder's Yard - USS STODDARD (DD-566) 1967-68 Configuration (Revell 1:144 FLETCHER - bashed)

In Development - T2 or T3 Fleet Oil Tanker (1:144 Scratch Build Model) - 1950s era

Currently - 3D Design/Printed 1/48 scale various U.S.N. Gun Mounts/Turrets and GFCS Directors (Mk. 34, 37, 38, 54)

Completed:
Armed Virginia Sloop (1768)
Royal Caroline (1748)
Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) (Scratchbuilt)

USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 1967-69 Configuration (Trumpeter 1:200 bashed MISSOURI)

Member:
NRG
NCMM Beaufort -CSMA

• 3 weeks later...

OK, so today was "outside chores for the Admiral" day and after I concluded her things, I started work on an exterior procedure to prevent further rain water splash up on the lower siding resulting in the interior flooring getting wet around the perimeter. I had previously removed old and nasty latticework from the bottom of the shed and today replaced it with new, plastic latticework, followed with cypress mulch to keep the splashback from occurring from steady or heavy rains. This was suggested by my realtor/contractor - and he should know!!! :default_wallbash:

After about 3 hours of work, 3 bags of cypress mulch, and one partial sheet of 4'x8' lattice, here's what it looks like:

404138209_LatticeWithMulch_1.thumb.jpg.ad5c3e12e5368a82dd5a15b3ec82dd7e.jpg1194054516_LatticeWithMulch_2.thumb.jpg.012380f33ef86487786a6e579df322d9.jpg

Note - the picture on the right: I intentionally left the space in order to build a new front porch deck which will come below the door unit (the old ramp/deck will be given the deep-6 at the county landfill). If I'm able to make another trip to Lowe's tomorrow or Monday, I intend to get the remainder of the left side/back done. We are scheduled for rain either Sunday or Monday, so the next dry day; I may have to wait until after Christmas, but I hope not!

Hank

Edited by Hank

Construction Underway:

Entering Builder's Yard - USS STODDARD (DD-566) 1967-68 Configuration (Revell 1:144 FLETCHER - bashed)

In Development - T2 or T3 Fleet Oil Tanker (1:144 Scratch Build Model) - 1950s era

Currently - 3D Design/Printed 1/48 scale various U.S.N. Gun Mounts/Turrets and GFCS Directors (Mk. 34, 37, 38, 54)

Completed:
Royal Caroline (1748)

Member:
NRG
NCMM Beaufort -CSMA

Some very good ideas, but can someone advise how to keep my workbenches tidy and clutter free. I work in a spare bedroom and am spoiled with a total 10 metre length of benches where I can put my hand to almost everything but only tidy away between builds. I then waste time trying to find tools that I have "put away" in a drawer or cupboard. My wife cannot understand this- can someone help?

current build- Swan ,scratch

on shelf,Rattlesnake, Alert semi scratch,Le Coureur,, Fubbs scratch

completed: nostrum mare,victory(Corel), san felipe, sovereign of the seas, sicilian  cargo boat ,royal yacht caroline, armed pinnace, charles morgan whaler, galilee boat, wappen von hamburg, la reale (Dusek), amerigo vespucci, oneida (semi scratch) diane, great harry-elizabethan galleon (semi scratch), agammemnon, hanna (scratch).19th cent. shipyard diorama (Constructo), picket boat, victory bow section

Ron,

Yes, I can caulk along that edge and will. I've done so inside, as well. Another thing is that I've applied the expandable foam insulation into all the cracks/joints along the inside studs & plates and where ever the siding joints meet up. Good idea, by the way.

Stuglo,

Really don't have an answer - perhaps you could start a new thread with your question.

So, today's report is:

After watching 3 quarters of the Panthers getting their butts handed to them by the Colts, I went out back and started once again relocating "stuff" from the right side of the shed to other areas in order to continue with the receptacle wiring circuit on the right wall coming forward. While moving "stuff" I took notice at the amount of laminate flooring I had been able to retain from our 2018 house renovation and I do believe I will have more than enough to do the shop floor in the back half of the bldg. The front portion of the floor will be carpeted with the roll of berber carpet that was also removed & retained from the small bedrooms. It is in excellent condition and will work well in the front portion of the bldg. I plan to use laminate at the entrance in an 8'wide x 6' deep area at the doors. Using the recycled materials also cuts down on the cost of this whole thing which is one of the secondary goals - not spending more than I have to in this whole project. So here's what it looks like this evening:

1406855630_RightSideInterior_1.jpg.e561d64cd6f6c9242e0e4b63ddaf96c0.jpg157767948_RightSideInterior_2.jpg.5e4a6f8540d5cd0d88c81a8f8285177b.jpg

I put in a chit with my neighbor for a supply run to Lowe's tomorrow morning and he (being a retired E-9 Aviation Chief) handily approved it. His F-150 will be warmed up and ready for a morning sojourn into M'ville, probably TAD until lunch. This is a rather large supply run including porch decking/trusses/framing, latticework, mulch, and possibly a couple more evergreens for our natural border which is also in progress.

Of course, Tuesday going forward will be Admiralty time and we all know what THAT means, right?!!!:omg: I doubt that I will see the inside of the shed until after Christmas so this project will pick up sometime next week.

Hank

Monday Update:

Well, it's been raining steady since very early morning and the mulch/latticework did NOT work as planned. The inside back corner and both door corners are wet inside and I'm scratching my head!!! Later this week (providing I can escape the Xmas scrutiny of the Admiral) when dry weather is back, I will see if Ron's caulking suggestion is feasible. I'm also going to contact my realtor/contractor friend and squarely place the blame on him - I mean, isn't that what we do these days? :Whew:LOL!!!! - seriously, I will contact him for further advice and see what we can come up with to dry these areas out.

Edited by Hank
Monday Update

Construction Underway:

Completed:
Royal Caroline (1748)

Member:
NRG
NCMM Beaufort -CSMA

Well, I actually did get some unexpected work done yesterday (Christmas) afternoon and continued with it today. It has been in the upper 50s low 60s and I took advantage of this mild weather. Yesterday I finished drilling holes in studs for elec. receptacle wiring and then cleaned things up and made a list for a supply run to Lowe's. Today's run included alum. drip edge trim and receptacles and a few odds & ends. Once CaddyWagon was moored at her normal anchorage, I began work on repairing the roof eaves - a 3' section of shingles on the 1st course was missing (it should always be doubled up) so that was replaced and the new drip edge trim installed along both sides the entire length of the roof. I also filled in a couple slots in the shingles where the underlayment was visible and obviously wet. Having that completed, I then made notes for the continuation of latticework/mulch on the left side and back of the shed. We have rain forecast for Sunday so I want this all completed by then.

169068635_RoofwDripEdge.thumb.jpg.4458adf7a3e164042386cc74b4ec3657.jpg 

It was then time to go inside and pick up where I left off - finishing the elec. wiring circuit for the receptacles and then on to applying foam insulation to all the joints where siding meets framework, etc. Tomorrow I will continue on the ladder to complete the upper wall where the roof meets the studs/plate and make sure those joints are all sealed.

721783354_RightSideInterior_3.jpg.ad5cf06d7117e985730752fdadb476d9.jpg883164044_InteriorRecept.Circuit_2.thumb.jpg.902794edc428026aaa0ee5f11357e0e9.jpg

Then, it will be on to replacing the back window. I have a small amount of work done on new framing, so this will continue once the old window is out for good.

Construction Underway:

Completed:
Royal Caroline (1748)

Member:
NRG
NCMM Beaufort -CSMA

Well, yesterday afternoon (Saturday) I had some rethinking on the dampness issue with the siding/floor. It appears the bottom 1-2 inches of siding is rotted all around, so my realtor/contractor and I have come up with a way to eliminate this and the water problem. We will cut off the bottom 9" of siding all the way around - requiring removing the lattice, side trim boards, and brickmold on the front door frame. It will be replaced with new siding 12" high which will cover the exposed frame of the shed at the bottom and thus eliminate water getting in from the exterior. The new siding will also be installed with construction adhesive in addition to screws and a Z channel flashing (also caulked) will provide a waterproof junction at the joint between the old siding and new. We hope to get this accomplished this week - perhaps Wed/Thurs - once the rains have departed.

This afternoon's mid-60s weather was perfect for performing a windowectomy on the old back window unit. I removed the old unit and right away saw that the opening siding edges were rotted so having to trim approx. 1/2" all around actually was a positive move in removing rotted wood. I replaced all the framing with new 2x4 material and making sure this framing is level and the left side at a true 90° - I set in the new unit and framed the remaining 2x4s both level and also at a true 90° - all this without having to shim the unit. Once properly secured with 1" sharp point screws, I cut vinyl brickmold to fit all around, caulked it and secured into countersunk holes with exterior deck screws. So, here is today's product:

54131310_NewBackWindowExterior.thumb.jpg.2fb81e75c38a605762cd8e6d1afe86bc.jpg172930748_NewBackWindowInterior.thumb.jpg.88f0a42db3ea921ea4db2f421fd60b02.jpg

Nice to have a nice, clean, waterproof window to look out thru and to provide daylight on a sunny day! I am considering the same type/style of windows for the right side of the shop - may go with 2 or possibly 3 units (22" wide). Tomorrow afternoon I hope to finish insulating the back wall, do some interior cleanup, and rearrangement again of "stuff". Also plan to get the remaining receptacles wired and be able to possibly tie in that circuit to the panel next week some time.

Construction Underway:

Completed:
Royal Caroline (1748)

Member:
NRG
NCMM Beaufort -CSMA

When you finish repairing the siding, I would suggest putting some of the mobile home vented skirting around the bottom, to prevent rain splash from getting on the bottom of the siding flooring joint, and wicking back between them. I dont think the latice will do an adiquit job.

Ron,

I'll certainly consider that  - I'm going to remove the latticework on the right side anyhow prior to doing the lower siding replacement. I need latticework for my small equipment shed to the left so it won't go to waste!

I was out in the shed earlier today during a lull in the light rain - no leaks this time!!! So, the roofwork and caulking has proven to be what was needed (at least at this point). Depending on the weather, I may get out there tonight for some further work, providing of course, that the Admiral approves my OT chit for Sunday work. :stunned:

I've got the porch deck framing in the garage so will probably begin dismantling the existing ramp/deck on the shed front. All this wood will go to the landfill as it is way too old to be of any further use to me. That and the old window and framing, etc. Of course, I've still got wiring to complete - well, actually - I have EVERYTHING to complete - this party's just getting started!!!

Construction Underway:

Completed:
Royal Caroline (1748)

Member:
NRG
NCMM Beaufort -CSMA

Okay, I guess it is safe to say this..... The Admiral and I are moving.

A promotion has created this situation, not for me but for her.

We have found a new house and I feel very fortunate, first of all the new house is almost twice the size of what we have today.
The house have three bedrooms, which of one will become an office, then a guestroom plus the ordinary master bedroom.
When the house was built the intended garage became a bonus room. Which will be our entertainment room.
So now you are wondering where I will be doing my modelling?

There is a one car garage but with a huge workshop. The previous owner was into making wooden furniture and probable leaving lots of tools behind as he will be living in a service center.

The garage with workshop is all insulated as well.

Two pictures for you guys.

Garage workshop.jpg

bonus room.jpg

bonus room 1.jpg

Edited by Nirvana

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Well, that certainly is a nice Christmas gift to yourself!!! Nothing like having it ready made, right?

Construction Underway:

Completed:
Royal Caroline (1748)

Member:
NRG
NCMM Beaufort -CSMA

Well, the place do need some elbow grease...… but what we are paying for 2000sq.ft house plus shop fits our budget perfectly.

The shop has some tools and I don't know whether the gentleman will take it along with him.

Either everything has to stay for us to take care of, or a complete clean of the seller is necessary.

I didn't mentioned the best part of the new house - it's located in an area where it's not snowing in WA.
No more snow handling for me!

Edited by Nirvana
Weather added.

Respectfully

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Hank, it sure was the most expensive Christmas gift we ever got ourselves! But well worth it!

When we saw the house we were greeted by five deer across the street munching on old apples.

Respectfully

Nirvana/PopDavid - Yes, the wildlife are a Plus when considering where to move - we also have a small herd of deer that come around in the back yard and munch on the small crabapples on the tree out near the shed. Woodchucks have (I guess for years) taken up semi-permanent warm weather residence under the shed - NO MORE!!! I will make sure they've been evicted for good before finishing a skirting around the base. Thanks, PD for the kind remarks.

Well, it is indeed warm/cloudy and already in the 60's, so I'll be out in a little while for morning "destruction" activities on the ramp/deck in front. Will update this post later this evening.

Construction Underway:

Completed:
Royal Caroline (1748)

Member:
NRG
NCMM Beaufort -CSMA

Throw a bag of moth balls under the shipping container and/or shed and the skunks and woodchuck will leave.  Did that to my garden shed, no more critters.

Thanks for the idea of critter removal.

Hope I don't need to use it though.

Respectfully

Well, this afternoon was the perfect day for busting my butt removing the old (and rotted) ramp/deck in front. It was low 70s and sunny - took me around 3 hours of manual labor with crow & pry bars, and hammer - but the job is done. Well, the removal, not getting the old wood etc. to the recyclers. So, I'm going to let the front frame work dry out before reframing my new porch - probably Thurs/Friday. Here's a couple photos:

1398966818_OldRampDemo_1.thumb.jpg.180c8bb88ce817e09110b1ab274832d2.jpg1582681965_OldRampDemo_2.thumb.jpg.dda500d4851b3f3b2c5880dbd6f1271d.jpg

Construction Underway:

Completed:
Royal Caroline (1748)

Member:
NRG
NCMM Beaufort -CSMA

Hank, that looks real good. The that porch covered seems to be healthy to.

Are you to cover the entrance too?

Respectfully

Per,

Actually, the picture is not that great, but thanks, all the same! I plan to build a 7'x7' porch with roof in place of the small ramp/deck that was built for the original centered single door. It was totally rotted out when we bought this property in 06/18 and I had it replaced with the 2 door unit in 07/18 in order to lock the shed and also keep the weather out. The ramp/deck never worked with the new door unit and was destined for the recycle pile at that point. I may give the shed framework a day or so to dry out - I noticed it being damp when the old wood was removed and I want that moisture gone before going any further. We'll also replace the flashing under the door unit with new material that covers all of it not just where the old unit was located.

Of course, my mental schedule does NOT concur with the actual schedule of reality and holidays, etc. etc. - :default_wallbash:😭

Construction Underway:

Completed:
Royal Caroline (1748)

Member:
NRG
NCMM Beaufort -CSMA

• 1 month later...

Well, over the last couple weeks I've actually accomplished quite a bit of exterior work to the building. My realtor/contractor/friend and I cut out and replaced the bottom 9" of siding all around with new 12" wide T-111 panels. Incorporating a "Z" channel in between the old, upper paneling and new, lower panels, this should all be rot free for years to come. I still have a leak in the back roof area and the entire roof needs replacement. For now, I have a tarp pulled over the offending area until spring when weather and finances will allow a new roof to be installed. In addition, a day later (this Thursday) I constructed the deck portion of the new front porch shy one PT deck board. That would have been installed this morning if it hadn't been for a surprise 1" layer of wet snow that showered Mocksville most of the day. A mix of huge, wet flakes and rain did in any outside work today. Hopefully, tomorrow I'll be able to finish the final deck board and then build a staircase in the front. Maybe, Sunday if it's really wet out tomorrow - prior to the big game, of course! Next week or so and I'll construct the porch roof w/lighting. Then, back to work on the interior!

Here is Thursday's work:

1604133811_resizedPorchDeck_2.jpg.ec38039ab0f201754865833f911ead7d.jpg683594228_resizedPorchDeck_1.jpg.57d7c96efa67e01f1da62ece7aa138d2.jpg

You can see where we made the cut in the paneling - it also now covers the exposed framing of the shed which probably contributed to some of the rotting. The large flat object laying against the left side is a 4' wide x 6' long maple butcherblock countertop that a prior owner had left UNDER the shed. About 2 feet of the bottom end is rotted out and I will remove and then store in the garage for a couple months to completely dry out. It will then be belt sanded, evened up, etc. and finished for use as a work surface in the shed. What kind of idiot does something like that? Oh well, I may have just saved myself a bunch of $$$ with this "find".

Edited by Hank
further commentary, etc.

Construction Underway:

Completed:
Royal Caroline (1748)

Member:
NRG
NCMM Beaufort -CSMA

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I got started on the porch roof and once again - nailed by more rainy days!!! However, I have got the roof framing in place and once we've had a day or so to dry out, I'll continue with OSB underlayment, felt paper, and possibly shingles - although, I haven't located a local supplier yet for the same brand/color/style of shingles used on our house which I have 1 bundle left over. But, once the felt paper is in place, I can then feel comfortable with putting in a ceiling and doing the wiring for lights as well as finishing the eaves and front fascia/trim. Once the porch is completed it will be back inside to continue with interior work. I wanted to get the porch & deck in place in order to dry out the door/entrance area and also give me a place to set up work benches for cutting/sawing/drilling interior woodwork without taking up space inside. Of course, winter is still here, so this may be a bit premature, as yet!!

So, here is the workshop as of Monday:

1413951069_ResizedRoofFraming_3.jpg.e84761779cefcc25b5bc511368b32721.jpg

The only issues I had were getting a good "square" alignment of the front posts which required a bit of adjustment using a 4' bar clamp but this worked out well and I'm happy with the final results. My nautical "bulkhead" lamps arrived and will give a nice appearance to the front of the building once they're in place.

Construction Underway:

Completed:
Royal Caroline (1748)

Member:
NRG
NCMM Beaufort -CSMA

Over the last couple days or so I've finished a bit more on the porch roof - felt paper in place ready for flashing & shingles and some of the soffit work in place ready for closing in, etc. The rains descended again later this afternoon so I closed up shop and will be back at it once things are dried out in a day or so. Here's today's pictures:

1881512595_FeltPaperinPlace_2.thumb.jpg.092271bae2531803da2f7f8c1aee0264.jpg327813945_FeltPaperinPlace_1.thumb.jpg.b7173dddd607fe430099e65e35311736.jpg

I'm not sure that with the ceiling in place there will be room for a ceiling fixture such as I've bought as it may actually be in the way of taller people. It is close to 12" long and unless I put some form of recessed box in the center of the ceiling, it might not work, unless it is moved between the ceiling joists - I'll have to sleep on that. The two side fixtures of the same style (only side mounted) will work on either side of the porch on the front wall of the shop.

Edited by Hank

Construction Underway:

Completed:
Royal Caroline (1748)

Member:
NRG
NCMM Beaufort -CSMA

Next step is to build a veranda on 3 or 4 sides, cover it and then screen it in for insect protection.  😉

OH-H-H Maury....Maury, Maury, Maury....you're such the dreamer!!!!:stunned:

Actually, the porch is sort of like a Quarterdeck - for the C.O. (in this case Moi!!!) - I can stand or sit out there and survey my empire😂!!! (or what's left of it...😢

Construction Underway:

Completed:
Royal Caroline (1748)

Member:
NRG
NCMM Beaufort -CSMA

Yesterday, while the crew & I were watching "The King's Choice" (see thread in Nautical History forum), the snows came down. Quite nice and our 1st real snow of the season here in Mocksville, NC. Roads being clear, the crew departed, and the Admiral & I watched a mystery movie on Hallmark. Today, well....it's a Snow Day!!! No work, just R&R etc.

What does a Snowman eat for breakfast?????

835745440_ResizedSnowDay.jpg.3f7532e408413791921f88dec3d924f8.jpg

Snowflakes, of course!!!!!!🥶

Construction Underway:

Completed:
Royal Caroline (1748)

Member:
NRG
NCMM Beaufort -CSMA

This week has been one of dry/wet & chilly/cold weather. So, whatever it's been, I've at least been able to get a further bit of work done on the shed. The porch lights are installed and working and the ceiling panels are almost complete - another Lowe's run and done on that end of things! Here's where it stands as of this afternoon:

228804634_ResizedPorchRoof_3.jpg.208ee87fac1a2723b4929d7dbcdfaa1d.jpg809372554_ResizedPorchRoof_1.jpg.028eb13aadeb0bf28c5abdcd30a8a031.jpg

My contractor/realtor/friend is bringing over insulation & luan paneling for the interior tomorrow so once I have the porch wrapped up (maybe next week), I'll be back inside tackling interior renovations once again.

Friday - Received several large bundles of insulation & half dozen 4'x8' luan panels from my above mentioned acquaintance - this should take care of the insulation inside. Weather was cold and we decided to stay inside and warm!! Made a Lowe's run this evening and hope to finish out the porch ceiling tomorrow or Sunday afternoon, weather permitting.

Edited by Hank
further commentary, etc.

Construction Underway:

Completed:
Royal Caroline (1748)

Member:
NRG
NCMM Beaufort -CSMA

Today turned out to be a really mild sunny day in the 60s - so, I got flashing put on the left side of the porch roof and began shingling. Had to make a Lowe's run to return 2 bundles of incorrect shingles and when I got back (5:30pm) the sun was setting and evening chill had set in; enough for today. Here's what was done:

Shingles_1.thumb.jpg.88dddd03a7578a1cd3966e7a8bf34f3f.jpg

Now, before any of you bean-counters start in - I know what I'm doing, why I've done it, and there's a method to my madness! There's nothing to worry about🙄!

Edited by Hank

Construction Underway:

Completed:
Royal Caroline (1748)

Member:
NRG
NCMM Beaufort -CSMA