Alexandra by Jason Builder - Krick - RADIO - live steam

Hi Bob,

I just made my best guess regarding RC setup, though I’m sure there are good resources out there for RC.   I still need to learn how to program the range of motion limits for the servos.  

Here’s how the planked transom turned out.  It’s been fun to have the boat out on display the last couple days.  Now I have that question of what to start building next.  First, I’m going to take a little break.  

Jason

9678CD57-D924-4D1F-812E-843ED852DA9B.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Jason...nice work. Well done!!

I have just started my model and will be using the "Alexandra" steam plant from Krick.  It is apparent that thought has to be given to the radio installation at an early stage. Am I correct in thinking that the forepeak is where the rx and batteries are supposed to go?

I too feel that extra planking enhances the model and I have decided to add a teak and holly effect to the cockpit and cabin floors....

20200320_182042_resized_1.jpg

38 minutes ago, peterl said:

I have just started my model and will be using the "Alexandra" steam plant from Krick.

It would be great if you would make a build log for the Alexandra, Peter. I'd love to follow another build of this beautiful model.

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

6 hours ago, peterl said:

Hi Bob...I am at the picture taking stage at the moment! I will see what I can do...although I I don't think I will ever be able to better Jason's build...

Everyone does things differently and post photos with different views and that can be really helpful. I look forward to your build log.

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

• 3 months later...

Wonderful workmanship.

Do you think the kit could be built just using hand tools and a Dremel or does it need shop tools like power saws, drill press, etc?

Please post some photos and/or videos when you get her waterborne.

Once again, great job!!!!

Tim

Current build: Continental Navy Frigate ALFRED (build log)                      

Past builds:     Steam Tug SEGUIN (build log in the kits 1850-1900 section)       

Liberty Ship SS Stephen Hopkins (Gallery & Build Log)

USS Basilone (DD-824) (Gallery & Build Log)

USS Olympia (Gallery)

USS Kirk (FF-1087) (Gallery & Build Log)

Hi Jason, I am following your build with interest. I built the Alexandra about 10 years ago with a Cheddar steam plant. It still give me great pleasure to sail her from time to  time. I am actually considering building a new steam chaloupe, from a plan. I will be very likely using the same team plant as you are using, but the horizontal version, which will give more overall stability.

Cheers, Stephan

Current Build: Hesper (kind of on hold), Wide A Wake

Completed Builds: Benjamin W. Latham, Le Renard, Smuggler, Bluenose, Pride of Baltimore, Alexandra, Jolie Brise, Marie Jeanne -1 and Marie Jeanne -2

• 2 years later...

Hi Jason

i hope this gets to you. I am building the same model and have found your documentation and photographs invaluable in the building process. The original paperwork lacks a bit of detail. I have built another steam powered tugboat “The Imara “ prior to this.

thanks again for your wonderful work and I hope my end result gets close to the job you did. I live in Australia on the Sunshine Coast which is near Brisbane. 
regards

fellow modeler

Peter

• The title was changed to Alexandra by Jason Builder - Krick - RADIO - live steam