Fannie A Gorham by cdrusn89 - FINISHED - BlueJacket Shipcrafters - 1/96

Thanks John.

Mr. BlueJacket - I just finished fabing a new fore top mast so I appreciate the suggestion but I have already drilled the holes for the main topmast stays and the bail in the mast cap and am concerned about its ability to support additional "manipulation".

Thanks,

Gary

Current Build -  HMS Sphinx 1775

Prior Builds:  HMS Winchelsea

USF Confederacy

Included in the "messing around" has been the first attempt at a sail. In this case the Mizzen sail (the largest so if I can get this I think the others (main and fore) will be easier).

I used the technique shown on U-Tube (Making Sails for Ship Models from Silkspan, Parts 1 & 2) which is considerably faster than my previous method which was from an Admiralty Models course in 2014). I did not take pictures of the intermediate steps but here is what it looks like at this point.

I still have to add the parrels on both the gaff and boom as well as figure out how to terminate the line securing the sail to the gaff/boom.

I am going to "mess around" with this some more to get a bit more "ship shape" then think about starts on the main and fore sails. I am got going to model the top sails but probably will include the top sail halyards although getting access to belaying pins in the boom jaws looks like it would be a challenge.

Mizzen sail.JPG

Edited by cdrusn89

Thanks,

Gary

USF Confederacy

Having rebuilt the fore top mast after forgetting to put the mast cap on before mounting the blocks and recognizing that (according to Picture 9 in the instructions) there are no hoops on the fore top mast I thought I better figure out what to do about the hoops on the main and mizzen top masts.

I had previously bought 5/32 X 1/32 hoops from BlueJackets. As I might have mentioned previously I had the devil of a time getting the hoops off the carrier. The picture below shows about an average take from a sheet of 12 hoops - 8 available and 4 are scrap.

The plan is to CAREFULLY paint them a flat buff color (same as I did the plastic hoops on the lower mizzen mast (so far)). This is a two step process, grabbing the hoop in a clamp just below half width and painting the top part, then when dry reversing and painting the other half. I had to make absolutely the paint was dry, otherwise the painted part will stick to the clamp and come apart.

The second picture was the "take" from the first sheet of hoops. Four out of 12. Luckily I ordered three sheets of twelve and need a total of 20 hoops out of the 36 I have. Need to increase the "yield" or I will be ordering more.

FYI - do not even think about trying to sand off the "flash" from the carrier. I lost two of my first set of 12 trying that. Way too fragile for a sanding stick (even 400 grit).

Top Mast hoops 1.jpeg

Top Mast Hoops 2.jpeg

Edited by cdrusn89

Thanks,

Gary

USF Confederacy

While waiting for the top mast hoops to dry I started on the main sail.

I already had a piece of silk span painted with the acrylic Unbleached Titanium White similar to what I used for the mizzen sail (which I am considering doing over - more on that subject later).

Based on experience with the mizzen, which was cut down from the sail plan dimensions, I made similar changes to the main sail plan. I went a step further and cut the pattern with the top and bottom parallel to each other making sure the top would still fit the main gaff. You can see the comparison between the sail plan an my pattern in the first photo - the sail pattern is outlined in red. This was different from what I did on the mizzen where the top retained the "extra" fabric above a line parallel to the bottom although the overall height was reduced to about 2/3 of full size.

With the sail plan I cut some thin (I aimed for 3/64" but they are probably closer to 1/8") for the reinforcing pieces and outlined the sail plan on the fabric.

I  added the reinforcing strips on both sides of the material and drew the panel seams with a 2H pencil on both sides as well. I marked the locations for the mast hoops and used a 50/50 white glue water mix to glue pieces of very thin light brown thread to each of the hoop locations. These will be used to attach the hoops to the sail using the built in attachment point on the plastic mast hoops. These have been sanded to reduce them to 1/32" thickness and painted flat buff.

The bolt rope is attached using the same 50/50 mixture. Once the bolt rope is attached and dry on all three sides the mast hoops are attached.

Main Sail_4889.jpeg

Main Sail_4888.jpeg

Mast Hoop Sample.JPG

Main Sail_IMG_4891.JPG

IMG_4893.jpeg

Thanks,

Gary

USF Confederacy

While working sails (slowly) I decided to proceed with getting the lower shrouds ready as I intend to have the masts as completely outfitted as possible before installing them on the hull.

I took some measurements and decided on 40mm as the portion of the loop shrouds that should be served to place the seized junction as shown in the shroud detail on sheet 2. That proved to be fairly easy (especially compared to the serving I did on Niagara).785209079_MizzenShrouds_4898.thumb.jpeg.3314079d6eaa0674c71ac49bf07e069a.jpeg

The third shroud for the main and mizzen took a bit more effort.

After some experimentation I figured out that to make the two "splices" to add the center "loop" was easier accomplished by using thick CA to glue the loop to the shroud first (after stiffening the ends of the shroud lines with thin CA). I am using Syren .025 Brown rigging line for the lower shrouds so here is the beginning of the "third" shroud. I determined that there should be 25mm of space to fit over the mast and have the two junctions at about the same point as the loop seizing.1326293483_MizzenShrouds_4894.thumb.jpeg.f78d8645b17301e9122c7fbc62239be6.jpeg

When the thick CA is dry I used a new, straight Xacto blade to carefully cut the angles on the short piece. My previous attempts to cut the angle and then join the pieces drove me to try this approach which worked much better, at least for me.1537847547_MizzenShrouds_4895.thumb.jpeg.9197d4da887f19bff90e45ff82208bda.jpeg

I then mounted the "third" shroud in my Syren serving machine and served over the joint starting about 3-4mm prior to the beginning of the joint. I used 50/50 white glue and water on the serving and a very small dab of thick CA on the ends at the start and end of the serving.491824138_MizzenShrouds_4896.thumb.jpeg.675a02832d8d9062715abc5629c1880d.jpeg949908670_MizzenShrouds_4899.thumb.jpeg.b64aea4667b75826033ee273fd94f1e8.jpeg

After the serving was dry I checked to make sure I got the desired 25mm opening.1455034464_MizzenShrouds_4900.thumb.jpeg.28acf185a67407de09e77eb727d5d237.jpeg

So here is what the lower shrouds look like it a test fit on the mizzen mast.

1880792813_MizzenShrouds_4901.thumb.jpeg.334b68c1fc6b2f649507aa3de4ba1f7f.jpeg731797594_MizzenShrouds_4902.thumb.jpeg.12c901a23aaa209950871fc31a4d22ad.jpeg

Edited by cdrusn89

Thanks,

Gary

USF Confederacy

Top Mast backstays present a similar "problem" to the "third" shroud. Need to create an "eye" with one leg on each side. and the eye needs to be quite small as it needs only fit over the top of the top mast.

I decided that the top mast backstays (and top mast shrouds) would use Syren .018 brown line so they would appear (maybe) to be of different size than the lower shrouds. Since I am new to this scale (1/96) I am wondering if I am making too much of scale differences.

I used the same procedure as for the "third" shrouds - it is just a bit more challenging since the line and opening are smaller.

Here is the first one before serving the junction.

74068664-3FD8-4BCA-9D53-1AA9C3811186_1_105_c.jpeg.dd2a29cabe3bf545f5f2b42516aaae29.jpeg

And here after the junctions were served (but not yet trimmed).

2145292591_Backstays2.thumb.jpeg.3b031e02d550bdab9e6ea3e028420d9c.jpeg

Here are the remaining six loop shrouds (four for the fore mast and two for the main mast) plus the three Top Mast backstays hanging up to remove any "kinks" introduced by serving process. I am still working the final "third" lower shroud and the top mast shrouds - all are loops - no more "thirds".

636158495_ShroudsandBackstays.thumb.jpeg.202d7c612f19140ffe9f1d9e7a223d2e.jpeg

Edited by cdrusn89

Thanks,

Gary

USF Confederacy

I completed all the serving (I think) for the Fore Mast shrouds and stays - at least the ones that terminate on the lower mast plus the top mast back stay.

I briefly considered serving the top part of the top mast shrouds but realized the part to be served was so small as to make it not worth the effort. As far as I can tell ther jury is still out on serving the lower shrouds/stays. If you do not know it is there it certainly is. not obvious. Another lesson for 1/96 scale I guess.

Here is the fore mast with the shrouds and stays dry fit and with weights on the ends to simulate tension.

One observation is that I may move the eyebolts for the main top mast stay terminus further outboard on the trestle trees. Although where they are now is pretty close to directly below the holes in the mast cap (which is where I assume they would be on the real ship)  that area is pretty congested with the other stays and shrouds and adding two more that close to the mast might not be that easy - or look very "ship shape".

Here is what the fore mast looks like without the top mast shrouds.

Fore Mast Shrouds and Stays_4910.JPG

Fore Mast Shrouds and Stays_4911.JPG

Fore Mast Shrouds and Stays_4912.JPG

Thanks,

Gary

USF Confederacy

I got all three masts shrouds completed and the forestay and jibstay on the fore mast.

Here they all are mounted on the mast holder as they will be on the hull. I cut notches into the sides of the board to hold the shrouds where they will be and the fore stay and jib stay are approximately where they should be.

Each shroud/stay has a 2 oz fishing sinker attached to the end to provide tension.

Working on the back stays and top mast shrouds now.

After that it is time to get back to work on the hull.

All masts.jpeg

Thanks,

Gary

USF Confederacy

Main sail ready to be laced onto the gaff and boom.

Also pictured is the rotatory cutter I borrowed from my girlfriend the quilter. I used it to cut the 3/64s strips of the silk span to use as reinforcing strips. It does not wrinkle the material when cutting the strips like my Xacto knife (even with a new blade) did. This caused a somewhat ragged cut as the material would bunch up and then release as the blade when by. Rotary cutter more or less eliminates this problem (at least for me).

Main Sail.JPG

Thanks,

Gary

USF Confederacy

Taking a break from sails and masts - got the timberheads installed on the port side so decided to try the scuppers.

Obviously the Gorham being a cargo carrier was. nit worried about losing fish through the scuppers - just getting water shipped overboard. These scuppers would be 9" X 18" (more or less).

Here is my tool set - 3/64" drill in holder (that also fits my old, slow electric drill) I tried a standard pin vise but it is a bit too long (at least the ones I have are), square file and Xacto knife with #11 blade. The blue tape is to protect the deck from the drill b it holder.

Scuppers_4921.thumb.JPG.91af46006e6ca3ec56e831c3b39a77a1.JPG

Here is one completed and one started from the inside (only 13 more to go on this side).

Scuppers_4922.thumb.JPG.28ebcf9bfe79012687b7ecf4ce2a64c7.JPG

And on the outside.

Scuppers_4923.thumb.JPG.06444d28842cc11b3d8d8396b3a3bc8f.JPG

Edited by cdrusn89

Thanks,

Gary

USF Confederacy

Finished scuppers on port side.

Somehow I have 18 when the plans only show 15. I guess I managed to squeeze a few extra timberheads in. Guess my spacer was a bit on the small side.

Port Scuppers.jpeg

Edited by cdrusn89

Thanks,

Gary

USF Confederacy

Mr. BlueJacket - yea I figured that.

I do have a question though - I did not find either in the parts list or elsewhere a bowsprit cap. From that I assume I am supposed to make one but since the bowsprit cap is shown only in plan and elevation on sheets 1 and 2 and a little better in sketch 19 what do you suggest it be made of or from? I have brass and Britannia metal strips in a number of widths and thickness and could figure something out but thought I would ask. Same goes for the bowsprit band?

Thanks,

Gary

USF Confederacy

So here is the fore sail furled and on the fore mast.

I used 12 hoops (in spite of the instructions advising to use a smaller number) and now think that was a mistake.

I thinned the plastic hoops to 1/32" (3" at scale) so that pile would be more or less three feet tall.

I am thinking about redoing the sail (no real hope of reducing the number of hoops without damage to sail) and going with eight or nine hoops. Also need to put the bails on the boom and gaff to keep them in place while attaching them to the sail. They want to wander down the sail - at least they way I was doing it. Should be easier to add the bails without the sails in the way.

Fore Sail.JPG

Thanks,

Gary

USF Confederacy

Mr. BlueJacket,

Thanks for the picture - that really helps.

3/32" basswood (maybe I will use boxwood if I have a piece handy) it is.

Thanks,

Gary

USF Confederacy

After two false starts on the Bowsprit cap which ended when the material (basswood in one case, yellow cedar in the other) split or otherwise decided not to cooperate in a catastrophic manner I shifted to plywood. In this case I made my own from some 1/32"  plywood sheet I had. Three pieces of 1/32 glued together (after I made a rough cut out of the bowsprit opening in each) and then enlarged the opening to fit the end of the bowsprit (octagonal).

I then used a series of round files to add the opening at the top for the jib boom.

Still needs some final sanding to get it more symmetric but I think this will do. Also needs paint (dark gray in my case as that is the hull color) and the hole for the dolphin striker.

Bowsprit cap 1.jpeg

Bowsprit cap 2.jpeg

Thanks,

Gary

USF Confederacy

I took the decision to redo all the sails, with a reduced area and fewer hoops.

Here are the three sails after lining for the seams and adding the reinforcing strips on one side.

Sails.jpeg

Thanks,

Gary

USF Confederacy

While the sails are drying I worked on the taffrails and cat heads.

I glued the pillars to the top and bottom rails alternating (and paying attention to the pillars which are not symmetric vertically) between rails. Then it is relatively easy to assemble the top and bottom and get the pillars in the right spot. Have to pay particular attention tom getting the pillars glued on perpendicular to the rail. Here is the stbd rail before assembly and the port after priming and sanding.

1176382691_StabTaffrail.thumb.jpeg.0c93b05e90ecde43f95579cdbaa0de47.jpeg

Here are both rails after priming. I kept the top rails long to allow some "slop" where they join the aft rail. I have to aft rail done and pinned it to the stern to get the bottom rails notched to meet the aft but for the top decided to leave that until the aft taffrail is actually glued in place. That would be a bad time to find out I mis-measured.

Taffrails.thumb.jpeg.2d8cbd5b098c74f9272ae092b441d689.jpeg

After a couple of tries I got the cat heads in pretty good shape - now for the knees.

1029596589_CatHeads.thumb.jpeg.27ab1a8f92ef5afa61d46bacab26da53.jpeg

Thanks,

Gary

USF Confederacy

I have gotten to that point in the instructions where is recommends drilling the holes for the masts.

Decking.thumb.jpeg.e7c2ab97995ea91fd3c7093a27054ddd.jpeg

I decided not to worry too much about the mast rake. at 1-3 degrees I am not sure i could tell. Hopefully I can adjust the rack with the rigging.

I wanted to use a Forester bit to drill through the cherry decking material. I have had regular drill bits tear up planked areas. Since the smallest bit is 1/4" I used that to drill a few test holes in other material and the masts fit with no additional work and minimal "slop".

I left the hull in the building jig and used a laser level on the keel to get the hull horizontal and a level across the hull in several places to get it vertical then drilled the holes in the pre-marked positions. I drilled the holes 1" deep and will cut the masts (they are 10" long overall now) to get the correct height above the deck.

IMG_4937.thumb.jpeg.3dc0ae628ea5396c62c3b794b0069753.jpeg1077123332_Mastdrilling2.thumb.jpeg.ffcc606bf1da81c3604655707c8cf7cd.jpeg

Thanks,

Gary

USF Confederacy

Given my lack of enthusiasm for Britannia metal fitting I decided to make my own chain plates.

I looked through my brass "bucket" and found 4 each of 1/64" X 1/16" X 12" brass "bars". That and some 7/32" wooden deadeyes from Model Expo and the brass wire that came with the kit were the starting point.

2071846283_ChainPlates_4939.thumb.jpeg.da3256899498e94fbf61273033d5f386.jpeg

I cut the bar to 45mm lengths (size taken from drawings) and put a 2mm "hook" in one end.

I built a jig to hold the deadeye and chain plate in close proximity. Three pins to hold the deadeye and two pieces of basswood to hold the chain plate. I made the pins for the deadeye three different lengths so I could get the deadeye on one pin at a time, twisting the deadeye to get the holes to align with the pins.

726716422_ChainPlates_4940.thumb.jpeg.a3e0619410beb071fd43d7cdfb5154ad.jpeg

1720983724_ChainPlates_4941.thumb.jpeg.61d1b5103ae6a5aa1b1ce08c890fc981.jpeg

Start the wire under the hook, wrap it around the deadeye, once, twice ending with two loops around the deadeye. I used a pair of pliers to hold each end and put as much pressure on the wire as I felt safe.

2040016908_ChainPlates_4942.thumb.jpeg.237cf08aec5cf35200e6766bef610f02.jpeg1653821977_ChainPlates_4943.thumb.jpeg.477269e07a7464e69b56bd7e8f2a0508.jpeg

I used the nose of one of the pliers to push the "hook" closed.

676759654_ChainPlates_4944.thumb.jpeg.9b3c02da9d32f324486ef264a5549fb6.jpeg

Pull the assembly off the jig, trim the wire and use thick CA to sieze the wire and deadeye with the holes in the correct orientation (single hole down).

Making all 20 required took about 20 minutes once I had the jig and process "perfected".

2046024973_ChainPlates_4945.thumb.jpeg.c681bdbebc7e5bfe31451e9f2852cf9f.jpeg1934646107_ChainPlates_4946.thumb.jpeg.3e84daeaf2b6bc755a43ddf01a545896.jpeg

Not perfect but serviceable. I will say the Model Expo deadeyes do not have the best hole arrangement. As you can see above the holes are not exactly centered on the wood. But, with the lanyards running across the face it would be hard to notice.

I think if I had it to do over again I would use annealed steel wire instead of brass. Not because it is "better" just a different color. I am not sure what I will do about the brass color around the deadeyes (the chain plates will be painted to match the hull).

Next step is to get the holes drilled in the chain plates and cut them to the final length.

Edited by cdrusn89

Thanks,

Gary

USF Confederacy

Continuing with the chain plates I tried one with the annealed steel wire (.023" - 24 gauge) and it works. Not enough better for me to redo the 26 I already have done in brass. I also did one in 24 gauge brass wire just to see if it is any different. Not much as far as I can tell.

1746751503_ChainPlate_4948.thumb.jpeg.dce74ae44c9efe35ea912f7702738efe.jpeg

I drilled holes for the mountings (not sure what I will use, probably steel annealed wire) and messed up a couple with the hole far off center so I remade them with the thicker brass wire.

Here are the 26 deadeyes and chain plates waiting for the channels to be finished. There are four distinct "flavors" - Fore lower, Fore backstays, Main/Mizzen lower and ,Main/Mizzen backstays.2052113359_ChainPlate_4950.thumb.jpeg.69e7da370fb4119dfc55ca82addca733.jpeg529241995_ChainPlate_4951.thumb.jpeg.a29c50bbcfdd2158c794f9f50e0dac1b.jpeg

Edited by cdrusn89

Thanks,

Gary

USF Confederacy

Decided to work the rudder which has already been primed.

Added the wooden blocks for the pintles & gudgeons previously. Now adding the laser board strips that simulate the mountings to the rudder (and later to the hull).

The thin laser board is more in scale than the Britannia metal provided in the kit and no need to make grooves in the rudder.

Rudder.thumb.jpeg.f9474552e90029106d91749c2fa4eda1.jpeg

Also mounted the Fore channels. Black wire used for location and additional strength. Would not be good to have a channel come loose during rigging.

1170703569_ForeChannelstbdandport.thumb.jpeg.66f6963ae2e44eadee2f3aa6b4052c3c.jpeg

Thanks,

Gary

USF Confederacy

While waiting for the channels to dry I added the grommets (actually dark brown paint to simulate grommets) to the sails.

I also added the bails/parrels to all the booms/gaffs.

I thinned down the mast hoops again and settled on nine per mast. I measured the re-thinned and previous versions of the mast hoops. A stack of nine now measures 5/16" down from 7/16 for a stack of nine before the re-thinning.

Only time will tell as I have to add the hoops and attach the sails to the yards before we see what the new version looks like.

All Sails.jpeg

Thanks,

Gary

USF Confederacy

Still "fiddling around".

Installed rudder (it was already primed)n and used the Syren provided wire to simulate the bolts holding the pintles and gudgeons onto the hull and rudder. These will all be painted to match the hull (gray and anti-fouling red).

I also added the "fashion pieces" at the transom. The drawings show what appears to be a trim piece running the entire length of the hull at the same level as the deck but I see no mention of it in the instructions. Installation would have to wait until the chain plates are installed as the trim would have to be cut or notched to go around these.

Fashion Piece.JPG

Rudder Installed.JPG

Thanks,

Gary

USF Confederacy

I got the mizzen sail lashed to the boom and gaff and the sail furled.

It didn't look too bad so I decided to do a temporary install on the mast and the mast on the hull.

To keep thing together I also rigged the peak and throat halyards. The clamp on the mast is to keep the sail assembly down on the boom rest. With the peak halyard rigged it wants to move up the mast. The weight on the end of the boom simulates the sheet tackle which (hopefully) will oppose the peak halyard and keep those lines taught.

I set the wheel box and aft deck house on as well to check the lead for the sheet tackle. Not perfect but pretty close. I should mark the location of the boom traveler now so I can get it installed without the wheel box in place.

I have to tighten up the gaskets and trim some loose ends but I think this looked pretty good and intend to do the main and foremasts in a similar fashion before they are installed.

I will install the topmast and those shrouds after I get the lower part done. In fact I may wait until the masts are installed a nd the lower shrouds rigged before adding the top masts.

Mizzen Install_4965.jpeg

Mizzen Install_4966.jpeg

Mizzen Install_4967.jpeg

Mizzen Install_4968.jpeg

Thanks,

Gary

USF Confederacy

Going off line for two weeks - cruise to Southern Caribbean.

Thanks,

Gary

USF Confederacy

• 2 weeks later...

Back from cruise the highlight (at least for me was visiting the former Royal Navy Dockyard on Antigua. Many of the original buildings are still standing although most have been converted to support the tourists which are "thick as thieves" since there were four cruise ships in on the day we were there. Imagine 8000+ "tourists" descending on your local marina.

Anyway I have all three lower sails completed, attached to the masts/gaff/boom and the peak and throat halyards (without the tackles) rigged. I used .018 Syren line for the mizzen mast halyards and .012 on the main and fore masts. The tackles will all use .008 line. I thought the heavier line on the mizzen was required since the gaff and sail are considerably larger than on the main/fore.

Here is what things look like at this point. Need to trim up the gaskets and a few Irish pennants but I think these will serve.

I am going to have to redo many of the chainplates.  I measured and drilled the plates for the attachment pins based on the drawings but some of the holes are going to hit the scuppers. Obviously I should have figured out where the holes NEEDED to be, not where the drawing showed them. I am considering redoing all of them and using a single thickness of annealed steel wire instead of the double pass of the thinner brass wire. I was getting pretty good at fabing them so what course I take will probably depend on if I have enough brass stock.

IMG_5103.jpeg

IMG_5104.jpeg

IMG_5105.jpeg

IMG_5106.jpeg

Thanks,

Gary

USF Confederacy