KrisWood

Oseberg Ship by KrisWood - 1:25 - Wood - Vibeke Bischoff Plans

Finished drawing the new keel and stem dimensions. Now to figure out how to get cross sections for the layers of wood to cut out. Does anyone here use Rhino, and if so can you give some advice?

The red lines are the rabbet lines in the stems and the T of the keel in the middle.

Screen Shot 2020-06-28 at 2.38.01 PM.png

Hi @bigpetr,

Thanks! I tried following your suggestion and all it gave me was cylindrical rope-like surfaces following the length of each curve, as if someone had built my wireframe floating in space made out of yarn. How do I get it to treat my curves as a single object instead of just a collection of curves / how do I get it to correctly understand the shapes described by those curves?

Thanks!

Kris

I think I figured it out. What I'd interpreted as ropes or yarn are actually strings of points along my curves. In order to get cross section curves I need to do the contour function on a surface. I've started making the surfaces but the learning curve is pretty steep. >.<

I've completed redrawing my keel, with contour profiles and scarfs.

I doing so I figured out one of the reasons my scarfs joining the stems to the keel keep failing. At first I sliced a plane through my lines at the angle shown in the plans. No matter how I sliced it I kept getting terrible results and I was unable to get a plane to go through all the lines in the right spot. Then I remembered what the scarfs looked like on the original. They're not planar, they're curved. In seconds I had scarfs drawn that looked identical to those in the reconstruction.

Now, how would you cut these out of wood? 🤪

Screen Shot 2020-06-30 at 7.07.36 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-30 at 7.05.27 PM.png

The best I can think to do is slice my profiles using these scarfs, then as I build it up in layers either scarf each layer together as I glue it on...

...OR...

leave each layer squared and end to end at the point where the curve intersects the layer....

On 12/1/2019 at 1:28 AM, KrisWood said:

Hi everyone!

It's been a while since I posted in these forums, but I'm starting my first wooden ship model so I figured it was time to start a build log thread. :)

For this first project, I decided to build the Oseberg Viking longship. So far the best plans I've found are here: 

http://oseberg.narod.ru/pages/Oseberg_Schiff_Spiegazioni_Pag_01.htm

If anyone knows of any other publicly accessible plans that are better, I'd love to hear about them. This appears to be from a kit model but I think that might make it easier for a first build.

I'll post pics as I make progress.

Edit: I've updated the title to reflect the plans I've settled on, which have changed multiple times since I started this thread. I'm now working from the plans by Vibeke Bischoff that were used to build the Saga Oseberg 1:1 replica, from the book, "Saga Oseberg: rekonstruktion af et vikingeskib" by Thomas Søes Finderup, master boat builder of the Saga Oseberg replica.

I have the Viking as my next project.........  I’ll be here learning from you