HMS Winchelsea 1764 by Edwardkenway- 1:48

Thank you Frank. 

With the deck I'm 3 days in and not a lot further on, except being in the process of lining the deck off

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

It’s a process, tabbing those center planks takes time and the willingness to do it more Thant once, at least for me. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

2 minutes ago, glbarlow said:

It’s a process, tabbing those center planks takes time and the willingness to do it more Thant once, at least for me. 

Yep, that's why I'm lining the whole deck, to take a rest from remaking, for the 3rd time, the first tabbed plank😁🙄. Third time lucky, isn't that what they say!?!

Current builds;

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

1 minute ago, Edwardkenway said:

Third time lucky

Let’s hope. 😊

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

A little update in words but a big step forward with the deck for me!20230204_222011.thumb.jpg.ef9d478851a322466d19d11a44b372a6.jpg

The first tabbed planked done (on the third attempt). Onwards to the next one.

Thanks for the likes, comments and having a look. 

Cheers

Edited by Edwardkenway

Current builds;

Completed:

Looking good. Those planks are definitely a challenge that’s worth it. Great results!

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 - 5th rate 32 gun frigate (on hold for now)

HMS Portland 1770 Prototype 1:48 - 4th rate 50 gun ship

This week's efforts were lay some planks, then take some off20230209_215636.thumb.jpg.44a6d4f6119035908f5e65ec312c1a88.jpg

The first tabbed planked was removed as I was not entirely happy, I'd been looking at it and the more I looked the less I liked it!20230209_215649.thumb.jpg.d18a15de9ccee87cac1319d2c008a9cb.jpg

Two planks at the bow also had to come off, they weren't looking good either.20230209_215655.thumb.jpg.76d6a918cc99ea46fe3ea1c2230b1d61.jpg

with these redone and fitted I'm slowly  inching my way towards the bulwarks. 20230209_221034.thumb.jpg.aff8db6e13f44b7e666c36f4754c4d56.jpg

I'm happy with the fit of the tabbed ones around the coamings now and hopefully will make some better progress this weekend. 

I appreciate all the comments, likes and visits, so thanks to everyone. 

Cheers 

20230209_221020.jpg

Current builds;

Completed:

Looking good!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

After a several hours work, I've completed the starboard side of the deck.20230214_212408.thumb.jpg.815e2540905bc6b73a6e44167348490b.jpg

the hooked planks were a real pain to do, the one at the stern only took 2 trys, whilst the bow one fed the waste bin, with a satisfactory version only 6 or 7 attempt. 20230214_212230.thumb.jpg.664bd68ae4603cbb12daccd63371d3e4.jpg

it will need a damn good sanding20230214_212150.thumb.jpg.506ff1467e03c302d23e80a125f1fe56.jpg

thanks to all who've taken time to comment, look in or hit the thumbs up. 

Cheers 

Current builds;

Completed:

The planking is looking good! I'm glad to see you redoing pieces you're not happy with.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

27 minutes ago, Rustyj said:

The planking is looking good! I'm glad to see you redoing pieces you're not happy with.

Thank you! As to removing planks I'm not happy with, it's getting easier to make that decision!

And after all I'm going to have to look at Winnie for a long, long time yet.😊

Current builds;

Completed:

Another round of planking finished.

20230219_180450.thumb.jpg.2d5c7539cae7ace512b7f703bd49f8d0.jpg

the two hook planks went a lot easier this time around. I'm entirely sure wether I'm going to leave those darker planks in or change them. They were a few of the original strips I cut for the hull, 20230219_211405.thumb.jpg.8f506af9aaab1ce3fa857194523a5661.jpg

They don't look that dark after sanding. 20230219_211345.thumb.jpg.0b511bd11f60fee20bcccf44a604ed71.jpg

so a coat of WOP was applied20230219_212901.thumb.jpg.f8a404a8d57b9b28552161b03202e370.jpg

and I really don't like them, next time I've got time on Winnie I shall remove and replace with newer stock.

Thanks for all the likes and comments, and for calling in.

Cheers 

Current builds;

Completed:

Congratulations Edward, that's a very smart looking and beautiful deck!

Well worth the extra effort, extra time and sometimes maybe even some frustration (I know I have that sometimes) of wasting lesser planks into the dustbin.
My dustbin is full of failed planks for the second band of bow planking I'm working on now and I'm glad I redid all of them a second, third and sometimes a

fourth time, when just before pencilling the sides an almost very well curved and 'fitting like a glove' plank broke while giving it a last little extra bend which seemed necessary... :-).

Luckily I ordered a little too many 1/4" billets from Chuck...I'll need them all the coming weeks...

Frank.

Current builds on MSW:

HMS Winchelsea 1:48

Prior builds on MSW:

None

I’m with you, Edward! Those darker planks would drive me nuts.

Jim 

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea, Model Shipways Mayflower 

Completed Builds: NRG Half Hull Project  

Model Shipways 18th Century Armed Longboat

Dumas 1954 Chris Craft 36' Commander

Dumas 1940 Chris Craft 19' Barrel Back

I guess its those three dark planks that are annoying you. The trouble is, I find, that when something like that gets to you, even if you know someone else would see it as a matter of no or little consequence, your eye is drawn to it and you cannot shrug it off. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. I think ripping the offending planks out would be beyond my skill level!

Best wishes

Fred

@FrankWouts @James G

@jfhealey

Yes, it's the 3 darker planks, they've been cut for over a year and just sitting on a shelf, so I think they've just mellowed. That said, I have decided to remove them and replace them with newly ripped stock.

I just hope I can get them out without doing damage to the surrounding decking!

Frank, it shows in your hull planking that you have been diligent and patient, as it looks absolutely beautiful. Between you and Glenn(glbarlow), you are setting a standard 😊

Edited by Edwardkenway

Current builds;

Completed:

27 minutes ago, Edwardkenway said:

I just hope I can get them out without doing damage to the surrounding decking!

How do you remove those planks? I feel like I would destroy the surrounding planks and maybe that is the way - replace the offending and surrounding but I'd love to know your plan.

@VTHokiEE I'm going try running a razor blade down the sides of the planks, then very carefully tease them off the false deck. They are fixed with white glue so a drop of isopropyl will loosen the grab with any luck.

Current builds;

Completed:

1 minute ago, Edwardkenway said:

@VTHokiEE I'm going try running a razor blade down the sides of the planks, then very carefully tease them off the false deck. They are fixed with white glue so a drop of isopropyl will loosen the grab with any luck.

Be careful!! I removed one during my build and I took it up from the middle first by cutting the center part out first and then used alcohol to release the seam/joint inwards to not do any damage to the surrounding planks. Good luck and go slow, your deck looks great otherwise!

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 - 5th rate 32 gun frigate (on hold for now)

HMS Portland 1770 Prototype 1:48 - 4th rate 50 gun ship

6 hours ago, Edwardkenway said:

I'm going try running a razor blade down the sides of the planks, then very carefully tease them off the false deck. They are fixed with white glue so a drop of isopropyl will loosen the grab with any luck.

Yes, those planks really do stand out. Remember there as a lot of stuff added to the deck that would obscure some of the planks. 

If I were going to do it I would use a sharp xacto or scalpel blade and cut just inside the seam/joint. Take the center portion out and

then carefully work my way out to the seam/joint. Hopefully that would help minimize the damage to adjoining planks. A metal

straight edge would help too. Good luck if you decide to do it! 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Did you caulk between the planks with paper or a marker? If so please use a sample caulked piece to see if the alcohol creates any bleeding of the black! Running a razor around the sides might create a horrendous slip. I'd slot out a center section of the plank using a drill bit then start using alcohol on the joints. I'm always amazed how easy it is to debond glue with gentle pressure and a few seconds of alcohol.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Ole woodcarver trick: using a sharp blade, make a stop cut across the plank perpendicular at two points along the plank. Then use your Veritas miniature chisels to carve away section of plank till you get to the base decking. If you place the bevel edge of chisel down flat against the plank then raise it slightly you can use it as a small knife blade. Reverse it so the bevel is up after you have enough material removed and use it as a regular chisel.  The stop cuts will prevent any unwanted tear out. Practice on a piece of scrap planking. You're using the chisel as if it were a plane. 

Thank you to all for the tips and advice, I will probably try them all, when I get time on Winnie.  The results will be posted here, good or bad!!🤔😊. Hopefully the former😶

Current builds;

Completed:

I got several hours on Winnie, and removed the darker planks.

I gave a few of the suggestions a try, but in the end the last plank was taken out by running a brand new no.11 blade carefully down the seams and drilling two holes large enough to take my needle nosed pliers, carefully applied gentle pressure  and the whole plank came out albeit with the attached false deck. I have some ply of the same thickness to replace that. I'd not edge glued the planks, so they came out easier and didn't damage any of the adjoining planks20230222_211426.thumb.jpg.cd37a7c1b61ad746e124ccc284ba92d2.jpg

The planks were cut, shaped and dry fitted20230222_213700.thumb.jpg.2dbfd5b06043bb60472aba2d48cf4839.jpg

glued in and given an initial sanding20230222_221315.thumb.jpg.108c775eed8c75ec3b553c6ec661f25b.jpg

I'm happier with the result.

Thank you to everyone who commented or gave some advice on how to remove the offending planks, I much appreciate the help and encouragement. 

Also thanks for all the likes and for looking in.

Cheers 

Current builds;

Completed: