18th-Century Merchantman Half-Hull Planking Kit by Heronguy - NRG

I'm joining the fun of this "learning exercise". 

Started:

Using a foam core building board.  Rabbet cut.  (Without much thought I started cutting the rabbet on both sides of the keelson before I remembered that this was a half hull - oops)

IMG_5322.jpeg.b78bf76fb93ed31255cbe46e6666e735.jpeg

Doug

Current BuildsBluenose II - AKrabbenkutter / Prince de Neufchatel / Essex Cross-section / Syren / Barque Stefano / Winchelsea / Half Hull / Maria HF31 - Dusek / Bandirma - Turkmodel

On the Shelf: Santisima Trinidad and Cross Section / HMS Cutter Alert / Tender AVOS / Confederacy

Suspended Build: Bluenose II - Billing Boats Nr 600 

Closer view of the rabbet in keel-keelson

IMG_5324.jpeg.6a415ed4d26364349af07106f947d270.jpeg

and at the stem

IMG_5326.jpeg.312b698edf270f827876df60b11ebecb.jpegIMG_5325.jpeg.20fd4a4a530dc22848eaa9df6faca37d.jpeg

Doug

Current BuildsBluenose II - AKrabbenkutter / Prince de Neufchatel / Essex Cross-section / Syren / Barque Stefano / Winchelsea / Half Hull / Maria HF31 - Dusek / Bandirma - Turkmodel

On the Shelf: Santisima Trinidad and Cross Section / HMS Cutter Alert / Tender AVOS / Confederacy

Raising the ribs

IMG_5331.jpeg.72b63d00cb761c5be9a1120f0542b977.jpeg

And adding some spacers (the spacers in my kit were not actually squared - very slightly trapezoidal - so I cut new one from the waste part of the sheets)

IMG_5332.jpeg.9d00ecd4e542a82e230af24bb73d1094.jpeg

Doug

Looks good, Doug.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

10 hours ago, Blue Pilot said:

I think I will follow along with you.  My kit is in the mail.  Looks good so far.

I noticed your interest on Toni's build log and thought if there might be a group project going I should start my own build log.  So there will be at least 2 of us!  Arre you going to start right away?

Doug

The hull is shaping up

IMG_5335.jpeg.17c35581b0149e50e11a0bb671afae5b.jpeg

At the bow the slots are prepared for the bulkheads.  I used images from Toni's log to get the depth of the slots for bulkheads 5 and 5a.  (5 is just a press fit in this photo).  Cutting the stemson for 5a with blades and micro chisels was easy enough but did damage the foam core build board.  Of course it will all be out of site soon.

IMG_5336.jpeg.56d3ac4266c22a64bacddaf1d647b0ec.jpeg

IMG_5344.jpeg.8ce59bcf28044b52fe08e359d45718ea.jpeg

IMG_5345.jpeg.af24d365b5549693d208fe68165e3a55.jpeg

Doug

The errata sheet included with the kit indicates the correction to bulkhead 4a.

I used a a couple of strips off the basswood planking sheets to build up material on the curved section.  Then glued a small piece of scrap from the keel sheet to the bottom.  

IMG_5346.jpeg.66084ceb24c577ab57b33dce17d557a4.jpeg

Off to the sander to shape it and reduce to template dimensions.

IMG_5347.jpeg.0e59b6cf4a5e86723c96a9d2f9c98fbc.jpeg

IMG_5349.jpeg.bbf801a34216b6982b04c202de8b5131.jpeg

Final adjustments will be accomplished during fairing the hull.

Doug

7 hours ago, Heronguy said:

I noticed your interest on Toni's build log and thought if there might be a group project going I should start my own build log.  So there will be at least 2 of us!  Arre you going to start right away?

Yes, I spoke with Toni if we get enough people with build logs going then they may make this into a group project, which I think would be great.  I will start as soon as I get the kit.  I work slow and do have other projects going but I think I will make this my primary project.

On a bit of a side note I have decided to fully plank my Smuggler kit.  I am hoping this will give me the know how and the confidence to attempt this.  I will be on my own planking the smuggler as its a solid hull kit so I don't have any written instructions to go by or detailed guide to plank her.

Yours is looking good, 

Mark

Current Builds: 18th Century Merchantman 1/2 Hull  Smuggler  Pride of Baltimore II

Gallery:  Yankee Hero  Armed Virginia Sloop
Future Builds: Rattlesnake, Fair American

Looks great.  Only the first run of kits have the bulkhead issue.  Please remember that I have never designed anything before and what looks correct on paper (or CAD) does not always translate perfectly when dealing with a laser cutter and different versions of the same software.  As soon as there are five builds started we will set up the group build.

Toni

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

I just received my kit in the mail today...trying to finish up my other logs so I might be able to join you!  

• 2 weeks later...

I found the final frame (H) was harder to position since it has very little glueing surface.

IMG_5365.jpeg.36126e24018bf994810613a05ee6308d.jpeg

I decided to attach frame Gb 1st then use it to support frame H.

IMG_5366.jpeg.749ea3a0dff1d9d3f1d481352fc43a2c.jpeg

IMG_5367.jpeg.85134907d40438cf78b6b02098997647.jpeg

I'm hoping the position of the frame is close enough to correct.  I suppose the planking will prove that one way or another!

Doug

Doug, any problems will be taken care of with the fairing.  Did you apply glue to the part of the frame that touches the plan?  That, along with gluing the mating surfaces of the wood, should hold it until you install the filler piece.

Toni

Thanks Toni.  I hoped fairing would correct any minor positioning.  I glued H to the plan as well as the deadwood and to frame Gb for good measure.  Filler is now in place between Ga and Gb.  I've started fairing.

Doug

• 1 month later...

I made a couple of errors - hopefully recovered.

Here's the current state.

IMG_5452.jpeg.ea94c13e9076ffee8320c0c1855a462e.jpeg

I've had to do some shims on frame 1

IMG_5454.jpeg.38c6a3d0b4f0d24cc37b4f5f11b493af.jpeg

and on G1

IMG_5453.jpeg.af54bb06c54e2a32eb3eb3b099270852.jpeg

I didn't place the frame separators in convenient locations to allow the engineers square to mark the upper and lower positions of the wale. Thus the positioning is a bit crude.  I guess I'll find out if that creates problems in the planking!!!  I read ahead but didn't realize that the access from the plan marked wale would be blocked by the spacers.  I see from Toni's pics that she located her spacers nearer to the tops of the frames.

I used dividers to mark the top of the wales where I could only use the square to mark the bottom position.

IMG_5455.jpeg.1e7cc5bf98234d601175f1689b694639.jpeg

Doug

Looking pretty good! Marking out the wale gave me trouble as well. My square was too large to get into the spaces and I simply eye’d it out. I think it worked reasonably well. 

One of the mistakes in my build was that my frames didn’t smoothly transition into the rabbet. I think I see some areas where this could occur to you as well (Frame A and Frame 4). You may want to consider building out the lower area of those frames to make the rabbet transition smooth. (At least I think this is a good idea, but I’ll be the first to admit that I’m the blind leading so take it with a grain of salt).

Edited by VTHokiEE

2 hours ago, VTHokiEE said:

One of the mistakes in my build was that my frames didn’t smoothly transition into the rabbet. I think I see some areas where this could occur to you as well (Frame A and Frame 4). You may want to consider building out the lower area of those frames to make the rabbet transition smooth.

I think you are quite right.  Some refinements are called for!

Doug