YANKEE HERO by Capt. Mike - FINISHED - BlueJacket Shipcrafters - Scale 1:32 - First kit in 40 years - SMALL - Quoddy Boat

Good morning, all!

This is my first model in 40 years and my first wooden kit ever. Luckily, as a sailor of traditional vessels, I have a little basic knowledge to fall back on.

I have elected to start with the Bluejacket kit YANKEE HERO, and since it's a snowy day here in Massachusetts, I am making fairly rapid progress. I've got he hull shaped, the hold and cabin top assembled, and I've just glued the deck to the hull and am waiting for the glue to dry. Wish me luck!

Capt Mike

IMG_1706.jpg

IMG_1707.jpg

IMG_1708.jpg

IMG_1709.jpg

IMG_1710.jpg

IMG_1712.jpg

I have fond memories of my first model the Yankee Clipper.  Putting the primer on really will help show any imperfections in your hull shape.  Just sand or putty as needed and another coat of primer.  You are doing great!

Mark

Current Builds: 18th Century Merchantman 1/2 Hull  Smuggler  Pride of Baltimore II

Gallery:  Yankee Hero  Armed Virginia Sloop
Future Builds: Rattlesnake, Fair American

I laughed when I saw your reason for editing your first post. Thank you for taking the time to read that! I did tweak your title just a bit to show the complete name of the manufacturer; I like to do so for the benefit of interested newcomers who may have never heard of the company before. Looks like you have made a fine start on your model.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

I had a discussion with True North about the paint coverage. Their supplier of one of their solvent bases changed formulas, but didn't change part numbers or tell them. TN has re-formulated their paints and they again perform like they should. Would you like a new jar of white?

Nic

That would be great. Thank you! My solution for coverage was to put several layers on, and it literally takes days to dry. Being impatient I went ahead and tried to work on the model anyway, with regrettable results.

A good jar of white paint would at least let me try to re-coat the white coamings and mouldings once I am done!

IMG_1734.jpg

I f***ed up the cabin yesterday. It was sliding in OK during the fitting stage, but since the fit was very tight I had decided not to force it all the way.

When it came time for the final installation, it would not seat all the way, so 1) I applied too much force and broke the coaming and then 2) I had to pry it out again and dig out some more of the hull before it would fit back in correctly. Thank goodness I had not used any glue!

The cabin fit fine after just a little more digging out of the hull but the cabin & coaming are definitely the worse for wear and are no longer 90 degrees. Hopefully the moulding and some more white paint will cover up the worst of it.

My poor wife just looked at my my face and walked out of the room.

Today was better. I glued on the bowsprit and main traveler and the wales strakes and then taped and painted the hull.

IMG_1743.jpg

IMG_1746.jpg

IMG_1747.jpg

A good day today, assembling the spars, second coat on hull, etc. Nic from Bluejacket was kind enough to send me some more flat white. In the meantime I just prime anything before painting it white.

But here I'll have to leave for a month while I am traveling. This build is not abandoned! Just "on hold" until January.

IMG_1758.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Congratulations!  Well done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

• 6 months later...
  • The title was changed to YANKEE HERO by Capt. Mike - FINISHED - BlueJacket Shipcrafters - Scale 1:32 - First kit in 40 years - SMALL - Quoddy Boat