Chris-Craft 1938 27’ Triple Cockpit Barrel Back by usedtosail - FINISHED - Dumas - 1/24

VERY VERY good

What next?

current build- Swan ,scratch

on shelf,Rattlesnake, Alert semi scratch,Le Coureur,, Fubbs scratch

completed: nostrum mare,victory(Corel), san felipe, sovereign of the seas, sicilian  cargo boat ,royal yacht caroline, armed pinnace, charles morgan whaler, galilee boat, wappen von hamburg, la reale (Dusek), amerigo vespucci, oneida (semi scratch) diane, great harry-elizabethan galleon (semi scratch), agammemnon, hanna (scratch).19th cent. shipyard diorama (Constructo), picket boat, victory bow section

Thanks Cleat, Popeye, and stuglo, and the likes. For my next build I chose the Billings Half Moon. I was inspired by Popeye's and JCT's builds of this ship. I've had the model for a while and it is now at the top of the queue. Still a little more work to do here first though.

Thanks cleat and Popeye. This was a fun little project despite the issues with the mahogany. Adding the name to the back was a small project in itself. The first round of decals I made up didn't show at all on the hull. I was going for some fancy gold lettering but the printer just couldn't get it dark enough. For the second attempt I tried white letters which again did not show up well. I finally made some decals with black letters that did show up. The logos are also done in black so they can be seen. I used a product called Micro Set to place the decals and they looked pretty good, but then I tried a product called Micro Sol that was supposed to make them set even better. It did the opposite and bubbled up the decals and made them very soft so that trying the flatten them messed them up even more. So I took those off, made another set and placed them with just the Micro Set. They are not as nice as I would have liked but they will do.

Here are some pics of the completed model, and I will add some more to the gallery. Now before you think I am too narcissistic, my screen name actually came from the name of my first full size power boat. I had always had sailboats before that so I was more "used to sail" than I was power. So I had to name my first power boat model the same.

IMG_5975.thumb.jpg.d002b9f3e2fb5db48f7c142dc7eeb976.jpgIMG_1615.thumb.jpg.51ecdef1abbfb7cf04b0e5842bc85ebb.jpgIMG_3497.thumb.jpg.1bb838ce321fe02f7577268fae96251b.jpgIMG_0012.thumb.jpg.51406a749b6479f9d0cafedf005515dc.jpgIMG_8340.thumb.jpg.cc24d229052e000a3dc5350e907ebb3e.jpgIMG_0742.thumb.jpg.d5b605f6c3ece4512fee18fab4c2778e.jpg

simple but functional case........I like it  :)     the Half Moon.........jeeze........maybe I should bring mine back out.   J left me in the dust on that one.........but it seems he left me in the dust with the slave ship too  :D     I have way too many projects ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thank you Chris and Popeye.
Popeye I thought you had finished your Half Moon. Don't start it back up yet. It's going to take me a while to get to where you are so finish up those other projects first.

Thank you cleat and Jeff. The case is 1/8 inch Plexiglas that I had left over from a previous project. In the past I have cut it on a table saw with a blade with a lot of teeth per inch. For this one I just used my table top band saw with a normal blade. The edges were a little rough but some light sanding took care of that.

that's funny........the Half Moon log has been busy of late.  usually when that happens,  I end up bringing the model back out to the table.   heck.....I made those decals for her......and I got the tack line decorations from Corel........seems a shame I haven't worked on her since 2015.  I'm almost ashamed.....but I'll get over it  ;)     just think....if I bring her back out,  you won't have to wonder what to do where I stopped  :D :D   nawwww,  there are plenty of logs of this fine lady on the site that you could follow....some likely better than mine.   always an honor for folks to use my logs.......it why we post them ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Just a quick little update. I really didn't like the edges of the Plexiglas case so I took some copper tape and wrapped it around the edges. I think it looks much better.

IMG_0780.thumb.jpg.e1cdd7391350fd30746a98b81886d041.jpg

Thanks Cleat. It is the same copper tape supplied in Model Expo kids for copper plating hulls. You can also get it at stained glass shops as it is used to wrap around glass pieces so they can be soldered together. Amazon has it too as Copper Foil tape.

• The title was changed to Chris-Craft 1938 27’ Triple Cockpit Barrel Back by usedtosail - FINISHED - Dumas - 1/24