Golden Hind by DanielD - OcCre - Scale 1:85 - First wooden ship build - Started 12/4/2019

23 minutes ago, ASAT said:

Nice build Daniel! Are you hooked yet? 😀

Thanks ASAT! I have really enjoyed this level 2 (beginner) model and I love the double hull design. I have my eye on a level 3, the HMS Terror, but not sure yet. I’m open to suggestions...

A few final touches to the hull before I mount the masts permanently, stern lantern and  several cleats (not sure this is the correct term).

5BFC4B78-F87F-4C88-B117-9DC537E0B6BA.jpeg

9133EA4E-5D2C-4666-985F-A2A38E99A4AC.jpeg

068B1D3C-0BB0-477C-92D7-A683A728EB64.jpeg

3 hours ago, The Lazy Saint said:

This is looking fantastic, well done.

What is on the horizon for build no 2

Best wishes as always, 

The Lazy Saint. 

Thank you Lazy Saint. This has been a very fun project and I can’t wait to start another. This model, The Golden Hind, is labeled as a level 2 beginner, so with the experience I gained from this ship I will take it up a notch. Currently I’m looking at the level 3 HMS Terror, also by OcCre. However, I’m open to suggestions. I thought the plans, stock wood, and laser cut plywood were all very good from this manufacture. The only thing I thought was a bit sub par was the inconsistency of the dead eyes and pulleys. I’m not stuck on this manufacture, but with my limited experience, I would do another project by OcCre.  If there is a better manufacture of sailing ships, I’d like to know.

Thanks again for your kind words, Daniel

Finished installing the dead eyes on the port side hull, permanently attached the main mast today and started the static rigging.

3AD56379-6467-40A8-9854-A453ADBC9CE3.jpeg

0799B5F5-82C8-4AED-9692-E60E277B09B9.jpeg

Edited by DanielD
Fixed image rotation

On 2/18/2020 at 9:11 PM, DanielD said:

If there is a better manufacture of sailing ships, I’d like to know

Hi DanielD, l am not an experienced builder by any stretch of the imagination however, l do remember a survey being conducted on this site which you might find interesting regarding the quality of kits to be found today. If l remember correctly Caldercraft is highly thought of. I have found them very good indeed. 

Best wishes as always, 

The Lazy Saint. 

Finished the rat lines on the fore mast and permanently install all the masts. Slow steady progress.

On another note, I was able to find several images of completed models and printed them out for reference on some of the rigging. I already know I will be making at least one change, I’ll be installing a pulley on a couple of static lines so as not to have another line tied to just the middle off a static line. Similar problem discovered by other builders.

5CB50F75-7F2B-4B56-868A-505F28139A76.jpeg

A1906911-A257-4EAB-B7E8-8E1D2CEB32C3.jpeg

17 hours ago, DanielD said:

Finished the rat lines on the fore mast and permanently install all the masts. Slow steady progress.

On another note, I was able to find several images of completed models and printed them out for reference on some of the rigging. I already know I will be making at least one change, I’ll be installing a pulley on a couple of static lines so as not to have another line tied to just the middle off a static line. Similar problem discovered by other builders.

5CB50F75-7F2B-4B56-868A-505F28139A76.jpeg

A1906911-A257-4EAB-B7E8-8E1D2CEB32C3.jpeg

Daniel,

I built the same model by Occre and spent many hours studying those directions (and I use that term very loosely) trying to figure out the rigging instructions. Finally one day they made sense after many many hours. I found the references to the lines correspond to a chart they supplied for locations where they attach and go. they also show a partial view from the side but don't reference there is another the same on the other side of the ship. They were difficult but made good sense once you get them figured out.

Mark

Nice build , by the way.

21 hours ago, mfrazier said:

Daniel,

I built the same model by Occre and spent many hours studying those directions (and I use that term very loosely) trying to figure out the rigging instructions. Finally one day they made sense after many many hours. I found the references to the lines correspond to a chart they supplied for locations where they attach and go. they also show a partial view from the side but don't reference there is another the same on the other side of the ship. They were difficult but made good sense once you get them figured out.

Mark

Nice build , by the way.

Thank you for the heads up on the rigging instructions. Your suggestion made the rigging images make a lot more sense. Also thank you for your kind words on the build. It's been a fun project...as I get close to an end on this model, i'm looking for my next.

Daniel

On 2/16/2020 at 7:49 AM, DanielD said:

Thanks ASAT! I have really enjoyed this level 2 (beginner) model and I love the double hull design. I have my eye on a level 3, the HMS Terror, but not sure yet. I’m open to suggestions...

my second build was the Royal Caroline by panart

https://www.mantuamodel.co.uk/products/ship-kits/panart/443/royal-caroline-detail

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Really nice job.

im doing Occre Terror for first build(blog here).

Taken into account how good job you are doing for your first build then Terror is easily suitable for next.

i ordered Caldercraft Cruiser and Master Korabel Polotsk for second build (havent decided yet which one).

Where did you learn the knots? 

35 minutes ago, Wahka_est said:

Where did you learn the knots? 

Thanks for the kind words about my ship!

As far as knot tying...many years ago, while my son was in Boy Scouts, I made a website for the troop which taught knot tying via animated graphics, so I needed to understand each knot very well. As the years passed by, I forgot most of the knots; however, once I looked them up, they started to come back to me. Check out YouTube, they have lots of good demonstrations.

Daniel