Golden Hind by DanielD - OcCre - Scale 1:85 - First wooden ship build - Started 12/4/2019

The main mast rigging is complete! Now for the mizze mast, a few paint touch ups, and rigging detail work...time to start looking for another model.

Suggestions? I want something challenging, but not out of my league. This Golden Hinde by OcCre is rated a level 2. 

FFB4AF08-3784-40D5-BC2B-9FF6DF0D64D2.jpeg

30BA9D03-BC9A-4AB3-8790-593492545376.jpeg

BCF41908-E9E9-48D4-A815-6EDD4B12D3F9.jpeg

Well...all the rigging is finished! Just some paint touch ups and some rope details left to do. I’m happy with how this first model has turned out.

5D0813EC-33A0-4C8A-A3B7-03ED29C7A24A.jpeg

60542BE3-1D4F-4C52-A241-C3EDEC0F38BA.jpeg

9107760F-31B9-402B-A1B1-B6F69A49B6C4.jpeg

6C8DB88F-71AF-42C0-BCF6-04B8BBA14EC0.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Excellent completed build sir! She's a beauty! I am actually thinking of picking up this kit as my next build. If you could be so kind, could you offer a review of the kit from Occre? I have worked on a few AL kits and they seem pretty comparable if not a little better. 

Jack of all trades, master of none.

Current Build: The Harvey

Completed builds: HMS Bounty's Jolly Boat

51 minutes ago, Spellapeaka said:

Excellent completed build sir! She's a beauty! I am actually thinking of picking up this kit as my next build. If you could be so kind, could you offer a review of the kit from Occre? I have worked on a few AL kits and they seem pretty comparable if not a little better. 

Thank you for your kind words. While i'm not 100% finished, the current world health crisis has put a damper on completing my model. I plan to finish some minor detail work including rope coils and a few touch ups. I also need to do something about the stand. Overall, the model assembly was straight forward; however, the instructions could have been a little more clear and I had to look at other completed models to help understand the the picture directions, especially when it came to rigging. One of the rigging images is miss printed, a kind of offset print, that made one step very unclear. However, after a few hours with the plans, the rigging becomes more clear (or I become less lucid and hallucinate something that seemed to work), either way, it all worked out in the end. I'm currently planning my next build, which will likely be another OcCre model, the HMS Terror, stepping up from a level 2 (this model) to a level 3, the Terror.

The Golden Hind by OcCre is a good entry level model that will develop and/or hone modeling skills, particularly the double hull and planking design. It also has some challenging rigging for the beginner; but not too overwhelming like some level 4 or 5 models, but enough rigging to make the model look good in the end. If your new to wood modeling, this is an excellent choice.

Daniel