Bruma by drobinson02199 - FINISHED - Mantua/Panart - Scale 1:43

John -- Yes, it does angle back just a bit.  Just the way it came out when I drilled the hole for the mounting.

Regards,

David

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Completed:  Constructo J.S. Elcano, Artesinia Latina Sanson, Dumas Mt. Washington, Bluejacket Nantucket, Amati Revenge, Artesania Latina  King of the Mississippi, 

Amati Grand Banks Heritage 46, Amati HMS Fly, Amati Titanic, Dumas Chris Craft Commuter, Mantua Cutty Sark, Mantua Bruma, Kolderstok Batavia, Vanguard Models HM Cutter Alert, Caldercraft HMS Victory, Dumas USCG Fast Response Cutter

Currently Building:  Amati Bismarck

Cabin interior finished with hatchway, side tables, wheel and bitts.

Regards,

David

Cabin Interior.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Completed:  Constructo J.S. Elcano, Artesinia Latina Sanson, Dumas Mt. Washington, Bluejacket Nantucket, Amati Revenge, Artesania Latina  King of the Mississippi, 

Amati Grand Banks Heritage 46, Amati HMS Fly, Amati Titanic, Dumas Chris Craft Commuter, Mantua Cutty Sark, Mantua Bruma, Kolderstok Batavia, Vanguard Models HM Cutter Alert, Caldercraft HMS Victory, Dumas USCG Fast Response Cutter

• 3 weeks later...

Back to work on the Bruma after a couple of weeks in Florida.

Finished the cabin exterior details including handrails, vents, horn and light, and fire extinguishers and life rings.  Tricky paint work on the extinguishers.

Regards,

David

Cabin Exterior Detail 1.jpg

Cabin Exterior Detail 2.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

All of the deck detail is now complete.  Pictures show bow area with capstan, life preserver containers, small tables, hatch covers, ladder, boarding walkway and stern seat.

That's it for the hull -- now on to the masts and rigging.

Regards,

David

Deck Detail 1.jpg

Deck Detail 2.jpg

Deck Detail 3.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Masts, booms and bowsprit are shaped and mounted, and I'm now starting on the rigging.

One of the detail drawings indicates that brass winches were supplied, but I can't find them anywhere, so I made them from my spare parts stock using deadeyes, filled with wood filler and painted gold, some brass parts that I think were supposed to be deck buckets, and wire.

Regards,

David

Masts Up.jpg

Sail Winch.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

The Bruma is complete.  I've posted a set of completion photos in the kit-built ship gallery.

This was a relatively easy kit, which was my intention after building the Cutty Sark and laying all of those copper plates!  A few comments on the kit:

• A number of missing small parts, none of them fatal.  I was able to go to my spare wood/parts store and improvise.
  • There is one rigging diagram, and while the rigging isn't complex, the diagram is very hard to read.  You need to pull all the photos you can find from the internet and use them as a reference to be sure what goes where.

Regards,

David

Bruma 1.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

3 hours ago, drobinson02199 said:

he Bruma is complete.

You've built a beautiful and interesting model, David, and it's the only complete build log of this model on the forum. Congratulations!

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Rick:

Here's the quotation from Mantua's writeup on the boat:

"This is a lovely scale reproduction of an ocean going fishing boat, converted into a pleasure yacht"

Regards,

David

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Congratulations!  Well done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

• 9 months later...

Hi David and greetings from the UK.

I have just bought a Bruma kit and found your build blog on line. I must say that there is more info in your photos than in the written kit instructions!

I was wondering if you built up the area aft of rib 11 so that you had a good base to glue the planking to, and similarly forward of rib 1. It seems to me that something needs to be there.

Best regards,

Brian Barber

Hello, Brian.

I can't recall - but I would only have done so if they supplied balsa and called for it in the instructions. I use a steamer to take tension off the planks for bends like the ones you are referring to.

Good luck - it's a nice little kit.

Regards, 

David 

David Robinson

Boston, MA area