Bruma by drobinson02199 - FINISHED - Mantua/Panart - Scale 1:43

I'm starting the Bruma, which I chose to give me something hopefully less complex and long than the Cutty Sark.

Here are some "What's In the Box" Pics.  It's wood, laser cut sheets, some fittings, and plan sheets.  The instructions are printed on the back of one of the plan sheets (in several languages).  The English instructions are about one column length, including the parts list.  What I'm going to do is scan them so I can print them out and still be able to use the other side of the plan sheet.

Regards,

David

In the Box 1.jpg

In the Box 2.jpg

In the Box 3.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Completed:  Constructo J.S. Elcano, Artesinia Latina Sanson, Dumas Mt. Washington, Bluejacket Nantucket, Amati Revenge, Artesania Latina  King of the Mississippi, 

Amati Grand Banks Heritage 46, Amati HMS Fly, Amati Titanic, Dumas Chris Craft Commuter, Mantua Cutty Sark, Mantua Bruma, Kolderstok Batavia, Vanguard Models HM Cutter Alert, Caldercraft HMS Victory, Dumas USCG Fast Response Cutter

Currently Building:  Amati Bismarck

Here's the hull frame.  Goes together nicely and a good fit all around.  The frames and keel are plywood -- I prefer MDF (Amati uses it) as it's more rigid.

Regards,

David

Hull Frame 1.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Completed:  Constructo J.S. Elcano, Artesinia Latina Sanson, Dumas Mt. Washington, Bluejacket Nantucket, Amati Revenge, Artesania Latina  King of the Mississippi, 

Amati Grand Banks Heritage 46, Amati HMS Fly, Amati Titanic, Dumas Chris Craft Commuter, Mantua Cutty Sark, Mantua Bruma, Kolderstok Batavia, Vanguard Models HM Cutter Alert, Caldercraft HMS Victory, Dumas USCG Fast Response Cutter

John -- For display.

Regards,

David

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Started the deck planking.  Nice pattern of alternating wide basswood and narrow walnut, with curve following the line of the boat.  Will look nice when sanded and finished.  The rough spot at the stern will fortunately be covered.

Now the trick will be to get the other side lined up exactly with this one where it butts at the center line.

Regards,

David

Deck 1.jpg

Deck 2.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Deck planking now finished.  

For those of you following the "alignment" saga on port & starboard sides, I have some close ups.  At the bow, I was only able to maintain it (barely) by using stealers, and you can see them in the close-up.

At the stern, it's aligned at the very stern -- but that will be covered.  Moving toward midships, the alignment falls off and I couldn't maintain it.

The issue is the angle at which the basswood planks hit the centerline.  That angle determines the width of the butted edge, and if the angle coming in on the second side you plank is slightly different (which is almost inevitable, I think), you can't maintain alignment.

Ah well, I'm happy with the end result.

Regards,

David

Deck 1.jpg

Deck 2.jpg

Deck 3.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Rick:

I don't think so -- but what might have helped is if I had started at the king plank and worked outward, vs. the other way.  But that would have required some heavier work at the edges of the deck, and some real planning to get the starting angles right.

Regards,

David

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

I use a steamer when I'm planking, which gives these basswood planks a lot of flex.  I had too much bulge at the stern, so to adjust it I did the following as shown in the picture:

• Used a rotary cutter to make a shallow "V" so that I could bend the whole structure down
  • Installed the next plank, steamed the "V" area, and then used reinforcing ribs behind to attach the "V" area to that next plank
  • Installed a short length of planking behind the "V" to hold the wood filler I'll need.

Then all of this will be sanded down and filled with wood filler to smooth it out.  Fortunately, it's the first layer which is more forgiving.  I think I'll follow the "run of the planks" on the second layer vs. steaming to bend them.

Regards,

David

Planking Adjustment.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Working the first planking around the prop shafts.  It's basically an improvizational act, and what I did was to create a "floor" of short planks on top of which I could mount the first planks under the shaft.

What you see in the finished picture will be dressed with a housing over the prop shaft to hide the rough area where it enters the hull.  That goes on after the second planking.

I am about to go away for a couple of weeks, so won't fill and sand this until I get back.

Regards,

David

Prop Shaft 1.jpg

Prop Shaft 2.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

• 4 weeks later...

After a couple of weeks away, I have finally finished the first planking.  What you see is wood filled, sanded and varnished.

Next is second planking, which is the same wood since this hull will be painted.

Regards,

David

First Planking 1.jpg

First Planking 2.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Now working on the second planking and using my trusty steamer to pre-bend the planks.  With that done, they really sit down nicely.  I like a steamer much better than a mechanical plank bender, because the benders leave crimp marks on the underside that can "leak" out at the seams and mar the smooth finish.

Regards,

David

Planking 1.jpg

Planking 2.jpg

Planking 3.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

This is a very interesting build and it looks great. Can you elaborate on your "steamer" that you use for bending wood? Is it a steam iron or something else? Thanks.

Bob

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Bob:

Here's a picture of it.  The brand is "Steam Genie".  If you look closely at the area coming out of the nozzles, you can just barely see steam.

The steam flow is pretty strong, and one of the nice things about this is that you can aim it -- so if you have a piece of wood that's partly mounted and the unmounted part won't sit properly, you can steam it on the model.

With these basswood planks, which are soft, I just hold sections in the steam jet and bend gently until I get the amount of bend I want.

Regards,

David

Steamer.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Thanks, David. My wife just told me that we have one of those up in the broom closet. I got it out and the brand we have is Pur Steam and it looks very similar to yours. I've been using a small, non-steam, travel iron and just barely wetting the planks with my finger before using the iron to apply heat and bend the wood. I'm looking forward to trying your steamer method now as well.

Bob  

Edited by BobG

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

Working further on the second planking, at the bow the planks hold pretty straight, but as the hull curves under, I couldn't hold that at the stern and had to shift to a "lay of the plank" approach.  You can see that in the stern detail below.

Not sure how much more I'll do on this before leaving for a two week trip.

Regards,

David

Plankfit 1.jpg

Plankfit 2.jpg

Plankfit 3.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

• 4 weeks later...

I've now finished the second planking -- the picture here shows it sanded with a coat of varnish.

Next step is to build the fairings over the propeller shafts, which are made of wood strips.  Then some painting.

Regards,

David

Second Planking.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Started on the propeller shaft housings.  I've done one.  Here are pictures of the unfinished one, and the one I've done.

Regards,

David

Shaft 1.jpg

Shaft 2.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

I've painted the hull.  Two boats ago, I got fed up with spray paint because of the unavoidable mess it makes in my workroom (spray particles out from the spray area and onto the floor), and problems with tracking it out of there and into the house.  Can spray outside in summer, but not in winter (which is much of the time here in Boston.

So this is brushed on with a foam brush and 5 coats of white and 5 coats of red.  Looks good up close, and no mess!

Regards,

David

Painted Hull.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

36 minutes ago, drobinson02199 said:

So this is brushed on with a foam brush and 5 coats of white and 5 coats of red.  Looks good up close, and no mess!

She looks great, David! I've never used a foam brush before. Does it do a better job of eliminating lap marks? What type and brand of paint did you use?

Bob

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

Bob:

It works better than a brush to get a really smooth surface, but the main way I avoided lap marks is to use 5 coats.  That's what it took to get a uniform color.

The paint was just a good quality hardware store flat acrylic interior paint.

Regards,

David

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

I've added the portholes, hawse hole and anchor, and fender.

Regards,

David

Hull with Portholes and Fender.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Bow and stern railings now on.

Regards,

David

Railings.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Assembled and mounted the cabin structure.

Building this takes some forward planning, to get the subassemblies right and square, and then paint and assemble things in a workable order.  The instruction sequence isn't the best.

Regards,

David

Cabin Structure.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area