1:200 Bismarck - coming soon!

James H

8 minutes ago, James H said:

but that may not translate into HMS Hood

I would think that Hood would be immensely popular -- she was the first name in British capital ships for the entire interwar period and of course is inextricably bound up with the Bismarck drama.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

5 minutes ago, ccoyle said:

I would think that Hood would be immensely popular -- she was the first name in British capital ships for the entire interwar period and of course is inextricably bound up with the Bismarck drama.

I think so too. I suppose if Bismarck is popular, then Amati may want to try their hand with Hood. I imagine the development coats and initial production outlay for Bismarck will be quite high. 

4 minutes ago, James H said:

I suppose if Bismarck is popular, then Amati may want to try their hand with Hood.

This is the same reason why I keep suggesting that certain unnamed kit manufacturers should give more thought to a matched set of Chesapeake & Shannon. Some ships just beg to be offered in pairs.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Don't you think it boils down to whether or not a manufacture can recoup there developmental and production cost and still make profit? 

RussR  

"Peace is not something you wish for; It's something you make, Something you do, Something you are, And something you give away" by Robert Fulghum

38 minutes ago, RussR said:

Don't you think it boils down to whether or not a manufacture can recoup there developmental and production cost and still make profit?

No question about that.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any chance some of the fittings such as guns and boats could be made available separately by Amati as they are very useful in other KM ships that are only available as card models?  I subscribed to the Hachette Hood and bought in addition several specific issues to provide me with the guns and boats for lots of other RN WW2 subjects in 1/200th but that option is no longer available.

34 minutes ago, FrancisMcN said:

Is there any chance some of the fittings such as guns and boats could be made available separately by Amati as they are very useful in other KM ships that are only available as card models?  I subscribed to the Hachette Hood and bought in addition several specific issues to provide me with the guns and boats for lots of other RN WW2 subjects in 1/200th but that option is no longer available.

@FrancisMcNhere is a link to their site, im sure they have contact details, plus there might be a few on here in the know

https://store.amatimodel.com/it/

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

The pictures of the Bismark make this a "must have" for me 

current build- Swan ,scratch

on shelf,Rattlesnake, Alert semi scratch,Le Coureur,, Fubbs scratch

completed: nostrum mare,victory(Corel), san felipe, sovereign of the seas, sicilian  cargo boat ,royal yacht caroline, armed pinnace, charles morgan whaler, galilee boat, wappen von hamburg, la reale (Dusek), amerigo vespucci, oneida (semi scratch) diane, great harry-elizabethan galleon (semi scratch), agammemnon, hanna (scratch).19th cent. shipyard diorama (Constructo), picket boat, victory bow section

• 11 months later...

Hi,

Could I please respectfully reply to this thread?

Yup, an Awesome release.... I have the "Hatchette/Partworks" 1/200 version purchased a few years ago.

Looks like quite a bit of an upgrade.

Costs for mine were something like the following:

1st issue: $16.00

Subsequent issues: $30.00 (X 140 Issues)

Something like that anyway....

Built the basic hull thus far and some superstructure. (- the RC)

I can take a few photos if requested. and post here if James is o.k. with that.

Regards....HOF.

Edited by hof00

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson

10 hours ago, hof00 said:

Hi,

Could I please respectfully reply to this thread?

Yup, an Awesome release.... I have the "Hatchette/Partworks" 1/200 version purchased a few years ago.

Looks like quite a bit of an upgrade.

Costs for mine were something like the following:

1st issue: $16.00

Subsequent issues: $30.00 (X 140 Issues)

Something like that anyway....

Built the basic hull thus far and some superstructure. (- the RC)

I can take a few photos if requested. and post here if James is o.k. with that.

Regards....HOF.

HOF,

I would like to suggest you open a build log on your Bismarck in the kit area.   It really wouldn't be appropriate to put your model into a review of another company's model.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Amati Bismarck 

Cornwall Model Boats now has it on pre-order, ready for first batch in August

Amati Bismarck 1:200 Scale 1300/04 | Cornwall Model Boats

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

When you add up all the Pontos or Mk.1 add-ons to the Trumpeter kit, you probably come out to around the same cost.  I know with the Trumpeter kit some question the shape of the hull, so it will be interesting to hear if Amati will satisfy the hull shape critics.

Kit looks great, but personally, I'm unsure about planking the hull that will just get covered up in paint.  A little different from other subjects whose hull is painted but (1) the hull is wood, and (2) the scale is much larger than 1/200.  That being said, will be looking forward to seeing the write up and build logs on this kit.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

• 1 month later...

I just (9/17/2021) placed an order with Cornwall for this kit.  Total shipped to the USA was 456.83 GBP.  Shipping is 46 GBP, but the good thing is that by shipping to the USA there is no VAT.

I've purchased a number of ship/boat kits in person in the UK on trips from a store in Greenwich over the years (don't remember the name), but this is my first mail order.  Previous kits have been Calder with GRP hull.  I've done a number of plank on frame sailing ships and, as noted, one ends up staining and varnish on the walnut planks.  This will be different.  But, I did a Billings boats Plank on Frame models of the Danish Royal yacht with steel hull and the Billings Tugboat with steel hull.  My technique was to do a lot of wood filling followed by multiple coats of Gesso followed by sanding.  End result was that after spraying with primer and urethane enamel, it looked just like plastic (lol).  I hope the plans have the hull plating defined.  After primer, but before the finish coat, I have scored the hull plates with a hobby knife and there is just enough definition in the finish coat to simulate the plating welds.  I'll see if this technique will work after I see the plans.

Looking forward to it arriving.

On 12/29/2019 at 9:40 PM, stuglo said:

STOP !STOP! STOP ! you keep showing kits that I MUST have. This looks incredibly good and (sorry) wood is far better to work with than plastic. My wish list is growing in inverse proportion to my modelling life expectancy but this will near the top of that list. The variety of content will be a worthwhile challenge and the price mentioned seems reasonable compared to other kits (eg my Amerigo Vespucci). Please keep us updated.

Ssshhh- a certain company in SW England is now taking orders. My Bosun is in for a surprise .

completed: nostrum mare,victory(Corel), san felipe, sovereign of the seas, sicilian  cargo boat ,royal yacht caroline, armed pinnace, charles morgan whaler, galilee boat, wappen von hamburg, la reale (Dusek), amerigo vespucci, oneida (semi scratch) diane, great harry-elizabethan galleon (semi scratch), agammemnon, hanna (scratch).19th cent. shipyard diorama (Constructo), picket boat, victory bow section

Received the kit yesterday evening via FedEx.  No dents or dings.  Amati box was wrapped in one ply cardboard, so not exactly "double boxed" but came thru well--probably because it came by air.  No indication, yet, of customs charges.  Cornwall includes a sheet to indicate any missing parts, which must be returned within 31 days.  It will be a big job to check these hundreds of parts, but essential since a missing part halfway thru would be a disaster.

Some observations: Box says "wooden hull" model and that is accurate.  Most of the superstructure and details are plastic.  Some of the major superstructure is wooden and appears to have PE brass overlay, judging from a quick look prior to a piece by piece inventory.  The hull is an elaborate assembly of very clean laser cut ply.  The complex curved parts of the hull, that in earlier kits I have built would have to be carved out of solid wood are some form of cast urethane.  The instructions go to two booklets and are in literate English.  Volumnous instructions completely unlike any I have ever seen before in Euro kits and that's a good thing as this kit is COMPLEX.

I have never seen the Trumpeter plastic kit, but from pictures, it looks as though it could be similar to this Amati kit if you add the super detail package.  In the US, the cost is close to the same.  For me, I would never get the same pleasure from assembling a plastic kit as this hand-crafted wooden hull.  Judging only from pictures, the superstructure of the Amati kit seems to be more detailed.

I'll be starting the kit in a few months as I have a project underway that is close to completion.  I think it may take me a week to do an inventory of parts.

IMG_0157.jpg.8df273d2b6bce0998972596196b005e6.jpgIMG_0158.jpg.6bbbc7dfaa50ff7048d8895bf4dba459.jpgIMG_0159.jpg.7090764ae690650afabe470044b24857.jpgIMG_0160.jpg.a079be2757d4e496d0bfd2555b21a576.jpgIMG_0161.thumb.jpg.e76df7c6f7a3ec9629bf790a9ec46cb1.jpg

Just now, ted99 said:

Received the kit yesterday evening via FedEx.  No dents or dings.  Amati box was wrapped in one ply cardboard, so not exactly "double boxed" but came thru well--probably because it came by air.  No indication, yet, of customs charges.  Cornwall includes a sheet to indicate any missing parts, which must be returned within 31 days.  It will be a big job to check these hundreds of parts, but essential since a missing part halfway thru would be a disaster.

Some observations: Box says "wooden hull" model and that is accurate.  Most of the superstructure and details are plastic.  Some of the major superstructure is wooden and appears to have PE brass overlay, judging from a quick look prior to a piece by piece inventory.  The hull is an elaborate assembly of very clean laser cut ply.  The complex curved parts of the hull, that in earlier kits I have built would have to be carved out of solid wood are some form of cast urethane.  The instructions go to two booklets and are in literate English.  Volumnous instructions completely unlike any I have ever seen before in Euro kits and that's a good thing as this kit is COMPLEX.

I have never seen the Trumpeter plastic kit, but from pictures, it looks as though it could be similar to this Amati kit if you add the super detail package.  In the US, the cost is close to the same.  For me, I would never get the same pleasure from assembling a plastic kit as this hand-crafted wooden hull.  Judging only from pictures, the superstructure of the Amati kit seems to be more detailed.

I'll be starting the kit in a few months as I have a project underway that is close to completion.  I think it may take me a week to do an inventory of parts.

Looking forward to following your build thread on this, Ted.

"I have never seen the Trumpeter plastic kit, but from pictures, it looks as though it could be similar to this Amati kit if you add the super detail"

-is the additional detail referred to  the Trumpeter or Amati kit ? 

21 hours ago, stuglo said:

"I have never seen the Trumpeter plastic kit, but from pictures, it looks as though it could be similar to this Amati kit if you add the super detail"

-is the additional detail referred to  the Trumpeter or Amati kit ? 

Trumpeter.  So far as I can tell, the Amati kit includes all the detail.  One difference.  The pictures I see of the Trumpeter super detail, the gun barrels appear to be brass, while the Amati are plastic.  Once painted, a distinction without a difference, I think.

Just Delivered (not by a Stork- a WW2 German plane)

Almost healthy girl (ships are "she") weighing in at 9kilo and expected to grow to 127cms

Thanks to above advice to check and notify, found some metal bits missing, as was the printed large view.

Also. the contents were loosely packed and the ends of the printed bow pieces damaged-replacements requested.

Amati is a long established company and they should employ an English-speaking proof reader.

The outside of the box states that the Bismarck was the PROUD (sic) of the navy..... and the MITH (sic) began. 

Not in the mood to check the TWO books of illustrated instructions

IMG_20210930_125000.jpg

IMG_20210930_123421.jpg

I have completed my contents check, too.  I also had the same two pieces of deck broken--appears that they are the longest pieces which stick out beyond the others in their plastic bag and are broken when parts rattle around inside the box during shipping.

I am missing one package of small plastic detail parts-- "vents".

I notified Cornwall and also suggested that they check their stock for similar damage to the preprinted decks to discover if the damage is happening in shipment to them, or in further shipment.  If it's coming to them OK, I suggested that they fill up the box with peanuts to limit shifting parts during shipment.

I have not received any response from Cornwall, yet.

"I am missing one package of small plastic detail parts-- "vents"."

I'd better check my plastic bits as well.

"Total shipped to the USA was 456.83 GBP"

lucky you -my shipping was 115GBP ( the distance is 20% LESS) + 140 GBP tax + 80GBP local handling charge. But I still think worth it .

My enthusiasm somewhat waned when I saw missing and damaged pieces, but is reviving when I see my kids and grandkids fighting over who will get the finished model. 

Thanks for your post STUGLO.  Because of it, I found the printed inventory at the end of Vol II and discovered that NONE of the "metal fittings" were enclosed.  Are they all in a single box or package?  If so, I'm missing the whole package.  Where did you find reference to a "Large View?  I'm missing this, too.

I was wrong about my shipment being FedEx, it was UPS economy air.  I guess there are preferential rates to USA that may not be extant elsewhere.  You may not have a UPS economy air rate--or even UPS.  I've found DHL to be non-competitive, but ships to a lot more places.

I've sent Cornwall a follow-up missing addenda.  Haven't heard back from them on my first from earlier.  Hopefully, our two orders may cause them to make a check on their stock before shipping.  Should be easy to spot the broken deck pieces--they are real obvious in their plastic package because they are the two ends that are sticking out.  I don't know if you were missing "All" of your metal fittings, but if so, a check for the package should be easy.  It would be good if Cornwall did at least this easy check. 

Any other purchasers of this kit are forewarned that there are some common errata with the kits.

Hi Ted 99

The fittings were in a small box with the rigging cords and copper nails etc.. The Large view is mentioned above the 6 plans.

UPS express saver- but the company here takes advantage as price only quoted after arrives at local customs. (Called customs, as it is the custom to screw us, the private buyers.) 

Received email from Cornwell saying parts ordered. Good polite service.