Bluenose II by Penfold - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - 1:75 - second build for a newbie so any advice welcome

BTW,

Just a thought, when you get to installing your Scuppers, ensure you clamp some waste material on the inside of the Bulwark, it will ensure that the inside of the Bulwark does not "Break out."

Anyway, not trying to teach you to suck eggs....  🙂

Have a practice on scrap first.

Cheers....HOF.

Edited by hof00

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson

6 hours ago, hof00 said:

BTW,

Just a thought, when you get to installing your Scuppers, ensure you clamp some waste material on the inside of the Bulwark, it will ensure that the inside of the Bulwark does not "Break out."

Anyway, not trying to teach you to suck eggs....  🙂

Have a practice on scrap first.

Cheers....HOF.

That is a great idea... thanks. I’ll definitely be doing that. 👍

Hi Chap,

From other posts on this site, I do believe that A/L are no more....

Are your Stanchions Basswood?

(Sorry, don't know anything about Model Ship supplier's in the UK.)

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

12 hours ago, hof00 said:

Hi Chap,

From other posts on this site, I do believe that A/L are no more....

Are your Stanchions Basswood?

(Sorry, don't know anything about Model Ship supplier's in the UK.)

Cheers....HOF.

Hi HOF 

No, the stanchions are Sapele (or Sapelly per AL).

I managed to find some walnut strip wood on Amazon, which I think will be ok once I’ve used the same stain I used on the Sapele.

Wahay!!! We have stanchions and propellers!
the walnut strips I got were completely wrong. Ended up finding mahogany ones eventually.

I found it tricky doing the holes for the propeller shafts. Using rolled up sandpaper definitely worked the best.

889EEB3B-252B-4DDC-A0CA-235F09669A5D.jpeg

F8BB4C9C-7568-4203-A287-31388C60C272.jpeg

Edited by Penfold
Typos

Got my scuppers in and hawse holes(?).

Also got my flotation line on. But in doing so one of the stem bulwarks became detached and had to be re-stuck. Going to have to refill it and repaint so not too happy about that. Going to be tricky keeping the flotation line clean  and paint free. As per Hof’s suggestion, used the stanchion spacer to prevent break out.D3E08C11-EDC1-4540-A112-3088FF26E958.thumb.jpeg.0ce7c63b64aa051bfad51790e3df4f4a.jpeg

57DC38F8-8085-4D76-A227-A0EB66367FD3.jpeg

23334582-10A5-4263-9C24-E9BD3894F391.jpeg

Edited by Penfold
Typo

No, thank you.

I Didn't do enough "Scuppers" on my BNII (As I mentioned, I was happy with it, and still am..... No one who looks is none the wiser....))

I did not have a template and I certainly did not have the skills at the time....

I trust you are not too worried any longer about drilling holes where it matters.... 🙂

Time and patience....

Cheers and Regards,

Harry.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

That's a great result!!

Looks like the "Scrap" behind the Bulwarks worked well to prevent drill "Breakout." (Something I learned many years ago in my secondary school woodwork days....)

Have you thought abut "Pinning" the Bulwarks  to the Waterways/Transom?

Planking pins affixed with CA?

Maybe it will prevent the Bulwarks becoming detached in the distant, (Or near), future?

There are many more learned than myself on this site, so maybe others can offer advice? (Pinning) (My experience only....)

Go on, you can do it.... Tiny holes.... 🙂

Up to you Chap....

I guess the only downside is that you will have to re-do your paintwork.... You mentioned that you are going to redo this anyway.

(The late & Great Frank Manstini, (Ship Modelling Simplified), always recommended "Pinning" stuff.)

He also disliked CA adhesives.... Called it "Stupid" Glue.

Cheers and Regards,

Harry.

Edited by hof00

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

1 hour ago, hof00 said:

That's a great result!!

Looks like the "Scrap" behind the Bulwarks worked well to prevent drill "Breakout." (Something I learned many years ago in my secondary school woodwork days....)

Have you thought abut "Pinning" the Bulwarks  to the Waterways/Transom?

Planking pins affixed with CA?

Maybe it will prevent the Bulwarks becoming detached in the distant, (Or near), future?

There are many more learned than myself on this site, so maybe others can offer advice? (Pinning) (My experience only....)

Go on, you can do it.... Tiny holes.... 🙂

Up to you Chap....

I guess the only downside is that you will have to re-do your paintwork.... You mentioned that you are going to redo this anyway.

(The late & Great Frank Manstini, (Ship Modelling Simplified), always recommended "Pinning" stuff.)

He also disliked CA adhesives.... Called it "Stupid" Glue.

Cheers and Regards,

Harry.

It’s a case of swings and roundabouts really...

I had originally pinned the bulwarks, but that gave problems with the rubbing down. So I took those pins out and secured them With CA, which has then come adrift as I’ve been handling it whilst doing the scuppers etc.

I’ve re-glued with CA and hope this will hold tight now.🤞

Edited by Penfold
Typo

After breaking the namby pamby stand that comes with the kit about 5 times and having to glue it back together again I figured it was time to put some strengthening in the keel. I need to be able to irk in a stable hull when I get to the rigging, think.

CA1E381F-EE44-482F-9018-A0E39115DCB8.jpeg

I didn’t want any excess ac glue spilling out of the hole and spoiling my hull so I put a piece of masking tape over the hole, put a hole in that with the drill and placed some slower cure ac glue over that, then pushed the brass rod through and into the hole.

I then filled with dark coloured wood filler and repeated the process a further two more times.

Hopefully, it’ll be a bit more resistant to breakage now.

D7BE038C-3AE5-40C8-A3C1-FBEC08F8271B.jpeg

3F791FB1-A9C3-4C63-BF3A-2408A9C2F1AF.jpeg

6ED391A4-27D1-4A08-A1F2-2BAFB8B82C91.jpeg

Oh... and yes I did put a pin in, with ac, to secure the bulkhead to the transom. I countersunk the hole very slightly to facilitate more of the pin head being left holding the bulkhead in place. Part of my earlier problem was caused by the pinheads being sanded off  as part of the rubbing down.