Bluenose II by Penfold - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - 1:75 - second build for a newbie so any advice welcome

Hi All,

Following prompting from other members on the welcome page I’ve decided to do a build log for my second build, a Bluenose II from AL.

My first build was an HMS Renown Steam Pinnace by Billings, which went ok, so now venturing on to something with a bit of rigging.

Before I talk about the build itself I’d like to say few words about the AL instructions.

I’ll confess one if the reasons for going for the AL Bluenose was the more detailed instruction booklets I’d glimpsed on some of the photos on other people’s build logs. After experiencing the exceptionally brief Billings instructions (even going to the extent of basically saying, “ build it to look like the picture on the box.” I’m paraphrasing but you get the gist) and their blurry out of focus monochrome photos, I was looking forward to something clearer.

I don’t know how recent a development this is but, on opening the box, they no longer provide a pamphlet with the instructions. Rather, there is a DVD with copies on there.

I imagine AL may have saved a pound or so in not providing a printed version. My gripe is that it then cost me a fortune in printer ink to print it off myself! ( 2 full ink cartridges!!) You have been warned.

Anyway... rant over.

Here’s some pics of initial build phases.

Bulkhead numbers 4 and 8 both required some adjustment to get them to slot far enough down into the false keel, and also the forward mast stabiliser required some sanding to get it flush the deck and stop it from causing the deck to be wavy. 

6359C773-2AD7-4A4B-9F24-FA4C6CDA4C38.jpeg

5D5907B1-995C-4C0C-99C5-E7E434CAA90F.jpeg

F60EC14C-7B48-497E-A49E-668725061DCA.jpeg

47E687A0-EA37-4F9D-A334-BB9824DBA670.jpeg

Will be starting the deck planks soon.

I’d welcome advice on painting if anybody want to offer it.

I'm planning on using acrylic paints( either Tamiya or Vellijo. I also have some sanding sealer. Is it ok to use the sanding sealer then paint the acrylic directly over that? Or is some other primer required?

Also, I think Santa might be bringing an airbrush, so tips on that welcome too.

It looks like you're off to a great start!  That Santa is a great guy, bringing you an airbrush!  I'm sure you can find good help on using it in this site.  You'll probably get some good replies, but you might dig up more with the search tool.

Current Build:

HMS Winchelsea 1:48 (Group Project)

Completed Builds:

Virginia 1819 Artesania Latina - 1:41 

I don't know if anyone has yet advised you about Frank Mastini's book Ship Modeling Simplified, but I believe that this is the very kit he used throughout the book to illustrate his methods. It's a great book for beginners.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to Meddo and sawdust for your advice. All gratefully received.

I am aware of John Earl’s practicum, and I have it in consideration. However, he is more concerned with making a more precise replica of the actual ship, whereas my primary goal is to get something finished that actually looks like a ship. (Don’t think too many of my friends will be picking holes in my work on the grounds that it doesn’t exactly resemble the original. I think it’s safer if I don’t go ‘off piste’ from the instructions too much at this stage in my career.

On 12/19/2019 at 4:45 PM, ccoyle said:

I don't know if anyone has yet advised you about Frank Mastini's book Ship Modeling Simplified, but I believe that this is the very kit he used throughout the book to illustrate his methods. It's a great book for beginners.

Thanks for this Chris. eBay had it at a sensible price so I gave now bought this. It does indeed look like a useful guide for a newby like me.

Anyway, Christmas is all done and dusted so I’ve been able to get into the shipyard a bit. Managed to do the decking.

I’m not ecstatic with how it turned out, but I think it’ll do.

i struggled a lot with the stepping of the joints at the bow and stern, and it seemed to be something I was just starting to get the hang of as it was coming to an end.

Ive then drawn the suggested lines with pencil which looks ok too.

As you can see, I didn’t get the symmetry I would have liked. At the stern this was because I drew the centreline before fixing to the ship and then sanding to shape. I didn’t think to remeasure and it was too late by the time I realised.

I did a little better on the foredeck, but even then, the slightest error seems to punish me.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I’ve had a little break from the Blue nose whilst I got to grips with the airbrush Santa brought me. I’m still a newbie at it but think I can handle the ‘broad brush’ stuff that I think is required on Bluenose.

I’ve sprayed the inside of the bulwarks and fixed them to the hull. I used plank grips to hold them in place and facilitate alignment before glueing and pinning.

376E201C-3CD2-4B1F-8889-B95C381DAB71.jpeg

987D875C-51AB-4CF7-8A77-D3C78F5D8E27.jpeg

B0477653-21C4-485A-9B80-8E82DDACE6AD.jpeg

Also... a question. What types of filler do people recommend? I am planning on double planking, but that doesn’t go all the way to the top of the hull. The upper portion will need filling and levelling.

Somebody I know recommended some Isopon P38 car body filler, but I wondered what you guys thought/use.

48 minutes ago, Penfold said:

Artisania Latina don’t provide enough pins. Had to go and buy some more so that the last  12 planks or so could be fitted.

They never do.   Same problem on some of my projects.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok... sorry it’s been a while. Been a little busy on other things.

I’ve got the first sanding done. Had a little trouble getting in the curves and also getting the pins rubbed down flush to the wood. Found that 180 grit non clog finishing paper seemed to to the trick.

BF955481-DA37-47E7-8C83-738414AA1E32.jpeg

820AD570-0065-4B08-B575-4A832BE1F8BA.jpeg

3FC58895-8E39-444F-947E-5AF73B2CAA16.jpeg

9137832E-36F5-422E-9F91-9DB554E759E4.jpeg

A1BCA1DF-361D-4F7F-A692-98F46276F37C.jpeg

43 minutes ago, Penfold said:

My bluenose won’t be carrying the little boats on deck. I think anybody whose tried to make them as per the AL instructions will understand why... blinking things 🤬🤯

Just remember model expo sells the ship’s boats for $8.99 with free shipping on EBay for when you need a replacement.

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Your Bluenose is coming along nicely.  Well done on the deckhouses.

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me