Bluenose II by Penfold - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - 1:75 - second build for a newbie so any advice welcome

All in all, I have to say I’m pretty pleased with it. I know there are some problems and bits I’d like to have done better, but it’s a fairly steep learning curve and hopefully my next one will improve on the bits I’m less happy with here.

I did get halfway through the sails and wished I’d bare-rigged it. The sails provided by AL aren’t brilliant, but in the end they look ok.

Overall, I’d say the kit was pretty good. Most of the fittings were nice, though I did replace the anchors.

AL do let themselves down on the rigging thread. Apart from the fact they don’t provide enough (I was a full 10 meters of fine hemp short!) their cotton is also not brilliant. It tends to be quite ‘fluffy’ which detracts from the realism somewhat. The Caldercraft I got as replacement was much better.

Hope I haven’t offended any of our Canadian friends by omitting the flag. The one supplied was a bit naff.

Congratulations on competing this beautiful model.  I am sure you are proud of this build.  Job well done!

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

I meant to add...

re the rat lines, I followed the instructions and spaced them at 12mm. However, when you look at the box picture their model has about twice the number of rat lines. I’m not sure what is correct. I wouldn’t have had enough cotton in the kit to do twice as many    Rat lines (probably not the patience either!!)

Edited by Penfold
Typos

Very very nice!!

An excellent result!!

Wots next?

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson

The OcCre Beagle would be a good next step as the build is documented by 130 YouTube videos.  Another option would be the HMS Alert from Vanguard Models.  The designer, Chris Watton, is a member of MSW and would be available to answer any questions and.  Here is a link to that model: https://vanguardmodels.co.uk/product/hms-alert-premium/

Ryland

23 hours ago, Ryland Craze said:

The OcCre Beagle would be a good next step as the build is documented by 130 YouTube videos.  Another option would be the HMS Alert from Vanguard Models.  The designer, Chris Watton, is a member of MSW and would be available to answer any questions and.  Here is a link to that model: https://vanguardmodels.co.uk/product/hms-alert-premium/

Been watching some of the YouTube videos for the beagle... is it just me or does blokey make it look really, really easy? I watch him and think you could build this bad boy in a week!

Seriously though, it’s a really helpful series of videos and will be a huge help to relative newbies like me, if I choose to do this one (other manufacturers could try similar.)

One question... when the man does his decking and second planking, he uses ‘contact adhesive’. What product, or equivalent, would that be? (I’m in the UK).

Thanks.

42 minutes ago, Penfold said:

One question... when the man does his decking and second planking, he uses ‘contact adhesive’. What product, or equivalent, would that be? (I’m in the UK).

Thanks.

I have never used contact glue for second planking or decking.  I have always used PVA (yellow glue or Titebond).  I would think contact cement would leave no room for error as it would be hard to adjust once the plank is placed on the model.

Ryland

17 hours ago, Ryland Craze said:

I have never used contact glue for second planking or decking.  I have always used PVA (yellow glue or Titebond).  I would think contact cement would leave no room for error as it would be hard to adjust once the plank is placed on the model.

I have previously used PVA too (without issue) but just wondered about the alternative. The next question would have been about the pros and cons, so thanks for pre-empting that

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/19/2021 at 4:09 AM, Penfold said:

Then came the dead eyes... what a fiddly job that is!

Did some research and made a little jig to hold in them in place whilst getting thread through them. It’s another of those jobs I was just starting to get the hang of by the time I’d finished... oh well. (Don’t look too closely, though the foremast ones are better than the mainmast ones.

5786D0BE-3877-40C4-89D9-6B949A55EDF0.jpeg

On 1/19/2021 at 4:05 AM, Penfold said:

Hello everybody... 

It’s been a while, I know. I’ve finally managed to get back into the shipyard this last weekend, after the best part of 9 months. It’s been a funny year... 

It’s taken a little time a few scrapped attempts to get the hang of some of this rigging malarkey! It wasn’t helped by the fact that the cotton AL provided for the main shrouds was awful, even once I’d waxed it.

I ended up having to cut them off and start again with better cotton.

33B40EFC-6323-4947-9D2B-A3464FC51EA6.jpeg

6FB6779B-52D5-4413-843F-06A8C12E3368.jpeg

Good Morning Penfold, your Bluenose looks amazing , well done , as you can see the deck on my BN is almost done , I am working on the masts and then the rigging , the holes for the blocks are pretty tiny , what do you suggest and the best way to get the ropes (thread) through them and should I use sewing thread instead , the jigs as suggested elsewhere is the way to go for the shrouts , I am not entirely the AL colouring scheme just a few personal touches and refrained from double planking the Hull 

take care 

Rob 

I didn’t use the AL instructions to drill the Scuppers and using the template , that would have been a disaster , in hindsight my deck is slightly higher than what it supposed to be , not much but still , so the best way to handle this I using  a different approach , drilling from the inside and using the spacer to protect the deck of my Dremel Chuck scratching it , and completed the job with filing with a flat file from the outside , also my Keel Broke away from the clamp whilst sanding , anyway fixed it , thank goodness I didn’t drop the whole lot on the concrete floor in the garage 

8192AC29-AE88-4948-A69F-EEC0DCFDDD6D.jpeg

On 2/19/2021 at 6:59 AM, robertd said:

Good Morning Penfold, your Bluenose looks amazing , well done , as you can see the deck on my BN is almost done , I am working on the masts and then the rigging , the holes for the blocks are pretty tiny , what do you suggest and the best way to get the ropes (thread) through them and should I use sewing thread instead , the jigs as suggested elsewhere is the way to go for the shrouts , I am not entirely the AL colouring scheme just a few personal touches and refrained from double planking the Hull 

take care 

Rob 

Did a bit of research and found out dipping your finger in CA Glue to stiffen the tip of the thread , then cut it at an angle as well as Beeswax and that worked quite well to get through tiny holes off the blocks , so far so good 

1837A957-3125-453E-94FF-CD8B2DE865E6.jpeg

B27AD99C-05E2-4DC6-871D-2159E052AFA8.jpeg

7D028057-86B2-41D7-9E7D-3C52BF4AE642.jpeg

On 2/18/2021 at 7:59 PM, robertd said:

take care 

Rob 

Hi there Robert,

Your BN looks to be coming along very nicely too. Great progress in a relatively short amount of time.

For rigging the blocks I used ‘big eye’ needles after a recommendation from Harry Houdini’s youtube channel, and heartily pass on that recommendation.

For the dead eyes I used a combination of the big eye needles and home made tool comprising a needle threader attached to a small piece of spare dowel. (Thanks to Frank Mastini for that one!)

On 2/18/2021 at 8:18 PM, robertd said:

I didn’t use the AL instructions to drill the Scuppers and using the template , that would have been a disaster , in hindsight my deck is slightly higher than what it supposed to be , not much but still , so the best way to handle this I using  a different approach , drilling from the inside and using the spacer to protect the deck of my Dremel Chuck scratching it , and completed the job with filing with a flat file from the outside , also my Keel Broke away from the clamp whilst sanding , anyway fixed it , thank goodness I didn’t drop the whole lot on the concrete floor in the garage 

8192AC29-AE88-4948-A69F-EEC0DCFDDD6D.jpeg

Hi again Robert,

Are you doing a build log on MSW? I tried searching but can’t see one.

6 hours ago, robertd said:

Not sure how to set up the build log , have to investigate 

On the home page, go down to the relevant section for the ship you’re building (ie kit, and post 1901). Click on that, then click on the + button to add your new topic.

Simples!

😉

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 12/19/2019 at 4:33 AM, Penfold said:

I don’t know how recent a development this is but, on opening the box, they no longer provide a pamphlet with the instructions. Rather, there is a DVD with copies on there.

I imagine AL may have saved a pound or so in not providing a printed version. My gripe is that it then cost me a fortune in printer ink to print it off myself! ( 2 full ink cartridges!!) You have been warned.

I ordered this model from a Canadian distributor called Sunward Hobbies, and they had the option to get full colour instructions printed out for just $15 Canadian (about 7 pounds for you). That is way less than I could print it myself, so thanks for the warning - when I finish Victory I will be ready to go!

Current Build

Revenge 1577 by Amati 1:64 

Completed Builds:

Bluenose II by Artesania Latina 1:75

HMS Victory Cross Section by DeAgostini 1:72

HMS Victory by DeAgostini 1:84

Polaris by Occre

37 minutes ago, Dale Hallier said:

I ordered this model from a Canadian distributor called Sunward Hobbies, and they had the option to get full colour instructions printed out for just $15 Canadian (about 7 pounds for you). That is way less than I could print it myself, so thanks for the warning - when I finish Victory I will be ready to go!

Bargain!! 👍