Bluenose II by Penfold - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - 1:75 - second build for a newbie so any advice welcome

Overall I think I’m rather pleased with how it’s going. Definitely better than I’d dared to hope at this stage.

I’m not happy with the main mast chainplates as they are too far apart. The instructions are confusing as they say to place them 6.5mm apart, but this doesn’t use all of the cut out that you’re asked to cut from the bit at the top of the hull. I didn’t do enough thinking before getting the glue and nails out and quickly regretted it, but I’d kind of passed a point of no return. I’m hoping it won’t matter hugely and will still look ok ( even if only to the uninitiated).

Edited by Penfold

Hi Chap,

A look at your photos, I don't think that your Mainmast Chain plate spacing issue will be too much of an issue.

I had an issue with the lack of Scuppers in my build, just had to move on.

(I didn't see your issue when I first looked and I don't really think that anyone else viewing will see this otherwise.) 

In this pastime, Both I, you and all others, strive for perfection.🙂)

Don't worry too much about it, it may annoy you but what can be done?

(If you really wanted to, you could re-do.... Fill/Patch/Sand/Touch-Up Paint.)

Your choice Sir, Looking good!!

"There is no such thing as a bad ship model, only better ones...." (Don't know where I got that quote.... )

Cheers and Regards,

Harry. (HOF)

Edited by hof00

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson

Hi Chap,

With regards to Masting/Rigging, have you seen Mr. Earls' Bluenose II practicum?

https://modelboatyard.com/bluenose2_articles.html

Cheers....HOF.

Edited by hof00

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

We got masts 👍😀

I did look at Mr Earl’s practicum and noticed had the cross trees the other way up from the instructions and other references support that, so that’s what I did. 

But the practicum presumes the reader knows much more about sailship rigging terms than I do, and I feel safer with the visual aids of the AL instructions so I think I’ll continue in that vein. (But thanks for the suggestion Hof.)
I have decided I need to rig in the sails, just so I’ve done one as such. Maybe I’ll leave the sails out on my next build.

56050C47-E542-4D99-A725-3E6C80EA9C98.jpeg

FAAE83BC-4C85-45B0-B3D0-CC71647EEB26.jpeg

• 7 months later...
On 12/19/2019 at 5:47 AM, Penfold said:

Will be starting the deck planks soon.

I’d welcome advice on painting if anybody want to offer it.

I'm planning on using acrylic paints( either Tamiya or Vellijo. I also have some sanding sealer. Is it ok to use the sanding sealer then paint the acrylic directly over that? Or is some other primer required?

Also, I think Santa might be bringing an airbrush, so tips on that welcome too.

• 1 month later...

Hello everybody... 

It’s been a while, I know. I’ve finally managed to get back into the shipyard this last weekend, after the best part of 9 months. It’s been a funny year... 

It’s taken a little time a few scrapped attempts to get the hang of some of this rigging malarkey! It wasn’t helped by the fact that the cotton AL provided for the main shrouds was awful, even once I’d waxed it.

I ended up having to cut them off and start again with better cotton.

33B40EFC-6323-4947-9D2B-A3464FC51EA6.jpeg

Then came the dead eyes... what a fiddly job that is!

Did some research and made a little jig to hold in them in place whilst getting thread through them. It’s another of those jobs I was just starting to get the hang of by the time I’d finished... oh well. (Don’t look too closely, though the foremast ones are better than the mainmast ones.

5786D0BE-3877-40C4-89D9-6B949A55EDF0.jpeg

Nice work Chap!!

My BNII was my second attempt in this "Dark" art of ship modelling.

BN I as of a A/L "Weekend" kit was the first.... The Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark followed,... 6.5 years of weekends.... I thought that I'd got the basic skills. 😀

Your BN II looks awesome, much better than my humble attempt.

How are you going to Rig? (Bare Bones or Sail?)

(Myself, I preferred the "Bare" Bones.... Your piece of Marine Art, you will choose.)

Keep it up!!😀

Cheers and Regards,

Harry.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

10 hours ago, robertd said:

Hi Penfold, I just bought the Artesania Bluenose kit , however no instructions ( still to receive) I like your double planking and intend to do the same , I noticed the mahogany strips included , are they to use for double planking the Hull , just curious 

Hi Robert,

yes the mahogany (or Sapele) strips are for the second planking.

I have a digital copy of the instructions which I’ll happily send to you if you pm me your email address. Be warned though, it cost me a fortune in printer ink to print them off!

7 hours ago, hof00 said:

Nice work Chap!!

My BNII was my second attempt in this "Dark" art of ship modelling.

BN I as of a A/L "Weekend" kit was the first.... The Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark followed,... 6.5 years of weekends.... I thought that I'd got the basic skills. 😀

Your BN II looks awesome, much better than my humble attempt.

How are you going to Rig? (Bare Bones or Sail?)

(Myself, I preferred the "Bare" Bones.... Your piece of Marine Art, you will choose.)

Keep it up!!😀

Cheers and Regards,

Harry.

Thanks Harry,

You’re very kind.

I’m going to rig it with sails, just so I know what’s involved and to be able to see what I prefer. I’ll probably bare rig my next one.

13 hours ago, robertd said:

Hi Penfold, I just bought the Artesania Bluenose kit , however no instructions ( still to receive) I like your double planking and intend to do the same , I noticed the mahogany strips included , are they to use for double planking the Hull , just curious 

... and good luck with your Bluenose too, Robert

Finally started my version of the Bluenose 2 , yes I found the CD didn’t know what was on it ( I have an IPad) so trotted off to our local Office Works to ascertain what was on it and yes there are the instruction files , have them printed and binded at a cost of A$ 60 !! Also thanks for the files you sent me 

On 1/25/2021 at 7:55 PM, robertd said:

Finally started my version of the Bluenose 2 , yes I found the CD didn’t know what was on it ( I have an IPad) so trotted off to our local Office Works to ascertain what was on it and yes there are the instruction files , have them printed and binded at a cost of A$ 60 !! Also thanks for the files you sent me 

😂

I know... the cost to the purchaser of printing off their own instructions is so disproportionate to what the cost to AL would be to include printed versions in their kits. I just don’t get their logic!