HMS FLY by cafmodel - 1/48

:D

I was shocked when I saw this set of drawings for the first time. He was so gorgeous and had so many beautiful paintings. I watched for a long time and slowly appreciated them, trying to understand the craftsman's state from my current perspective

The ribs of British wooden sailboat are very complex. When making HMS enterprise, the ribs are simplified. There are two advantages: 1. The difficulty of making is reduced, the production is convenient, 2. The cost is reduced

But for HMS fly, I want to show its original structure as much as I can, which is a big challenge for me, but I like to challenge
1.jpg.90d9f8605fe15bfd272733f40e46e552.jpg

2.jpg.bd8fab5c820c244452625c2edf7bb903.jpg

Here's the scale, which can be adjusted to any scale

3.jpg.616edf31043be1516bbdae7de76811a1.jpg

4.JPG.360d8c66928f8e459b7fbaceb8aa424a.JPG

5.JPG.7a746f8bd2f900b9aa96a96a778fd1c5.JPG

I look forward to seeing a lot more of this project as you move forward.  Thank you for sharing it with us. :D

You might get more insight into construction of a Swan class sixth rate using The Fully Framed Model series of books. Frames are not all the same width all the way up.

Edited by druxey

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

This is a link to purchasing the framing plan for a Swan class ship from the Royal Museum Greenwich.  This illustrates Druxey's comment that the frames are not all the same width.  

http://images.rmg.co.uk/?service=asset&action=show_zoom_window_popup&language=en&asset=27396&location=grid&asset_list=11336,11337,11338,16317,34837,34834,34835,27396,34838,34836,24580,20676,21494&basket_item_id=undefined

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

I've been catching a cold these days,  I didn't get back in time

On 12/30/2019 at 11:49 AM, druxey said:

You might get more insight into construction of a Swan class sixth rate using The Fully Framed Model series of books. Frames are not all the same width all the way up.

18 hours ago, tlevine said:

This is a link to purchasing the framing plan for a Swan class ship from the Royal Museum Greenwich.  This illustrates Druxey's comment that the frames are not all the same width.  

http://images.rmg.co.uk/?service=asset&action=show_zoom_window_popup&language=en&asset=27396&location=grid&asset_list=11336,11337,11338,16317,34837,34834,34835,27396,34838,34836,24580,20676,21494&basket_item_id=undefined

Thank you very much for your help

I noticed this situation in the initial drawing. According to the data measured in the original drawing, the change of the thickness of most ribs is not obvious, especially 1 / 48, which is not well reflected.

40.jpg.8bded37b57bf268f89cbdd2613fbc6a2.jpg

Not very obvious at all! But those diminishing futtocks, along with the shifted and cast toptimbers make this sort of modelling both fun and challenging (midships photo of my Swan class  Pegasus attached). I wouldn't include them in any scale smaller that 1:48 though as I don't think the human eye could pick out the 1" differences in width.

Happy New Year, CAF (don't know your name). I very much enjoy your innovative work in ship model kits

DSCN8444.thumb.JPG.2122bfa778904822b1ef63feadc80b7f.JPG

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

• 2 weeks later...

Hello ,Greg

Thank you very much. I like the challenge. I hope it will succeed this time

This one is very beautiful. What's the proportion of it? 1:48?

Among the ribs of some ships, the gradual reduction of ribs will be obvious, and there will be many changes, but this one is not obvious, especially the change of 0.2-0.5mm in the ratio of 1:48. I think that the change size can be increased appropriately during construction, which can be 0.5-0.8mm. I want to hear your suggestions

Happy New Year

Tom

Those perspective drawings would have been nice to have while I was building Atalanta.  Beautiful work.

Toni

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Yes, they are both Swan class ships.

Toni

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Yves

Thank you very much for your attention

Now most young people are playing video games. There are fewer people making wooden sailboats. Part of the reason is that it's difficult to make.

(of most model toys, wooden sailboats are the most difficult to make.)

So I think how to reduce the difficulty of making the model so that more people can make a beautiful sailing boat, so that the industry can develop.

Hope to have more excellent works

Tom