Overturn Preventing Glue Bottle Seat

Although I only have one plastic kit under my belt since my return to modelling I have came close to knocking over the Tamiya Extra Thin glue a couple of times narrowly avoiding destroying my cutting mat, which prompted the purchase below.

I really like the Dspiae products and think they have found a niche, providing well engineered products with quality packaging that Apple would be proud of.

The glue bottle holder comes in a nice solid thick walled box (although mine looks like its well travelled!), with an internal lid with a Thank you and some basic instructions.  The lid has high density foam on the underside which is handy for rolling photo etch and paper parts into curves. Bonus!

1.thumb.JPG.5c4cdec25b7b5874bd39ac32f712a274.JPG

The box holds the glue bottle holder and underneath is a sheet of  very thin self-adhesive plastic like material (but behaves like rubber) which is required to be stuck on the bottom providing a great deal of slip resistance when placed on a cutting mat.

2.thumb.JPG.3be6b9db6a135784fc6eb7b11ff46b7f.JPG

Rubber stuck on the base and a bottle of glue inserted.  There is a fair bit of space round the Tamiya bottle but bear in mind this is designed for other manufacturer’s products such as Mr Hobby, Ammo etc who have all seemed to go down the square glass bottle route.

3.thumb.JPG.ba1f3d97580bac746e6b13932c111b67.JPG

Is it worth the A$30 it cost?  Not really as there are dozens of zero cost DIY options such as hacking a square in a block of foam or making it from card etc.; but to me Yes it is worth it.  Who doesn’t love a chunk of beautifully machined and red anodised aluminium doing nothing more than holding a bottle of glue.  I smile to myself whenever I look at its extravagance.

Cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

1 hour ago, reklein said:

You could always just epoxy the glue bottle to the work bench. (maniacal laughter) Certainly is a cool looking tool though.

Not such a bad idea, actually. I have simply glued the bottle to a square of scrap wood or bristol board, whatever's handy, when the need arose. When I was done with the glue bottle for a while, I just peeled off the wood or cardboard and tossed it.

Some of these specialty products are a waste of time - but not in this case.

I have just purchased one recently having knocked over several bottles.

I think AUD 30.00 (USD 20.00) is money well spent with a bottle of Extra Thin retailing at AUD 10.00. 

For me it will not take long to recoup the costs especially when you bring cutting mats and half built models into the equation. 

Current Builds

Mikasa by I Love Kit - 1:200 - Plastic

HMS Beagle by Occre - 1:48 - Wood

If it works for you and you feel better for the investment, then that is all that matters. Just lost a good portion of my cyano because of a mishap so I understand the challenges with spillage.

Built & De-Commissioned: HMS Endeavour (Corel), HMS Unicorn (Corel),

Abandoned: HMS Bounty (AL)

Completed : Wappen Von Hamburg (Corel), Le Renommee (Euromodel)... on hold

Current WIP: Berlin by Corel

On Shelf:  HMS Bounty (Billings),