Steam Ship Naparima by Kevin Kenny - FINISHED

I suggest that you cut tiny pieces of solder, attach them to the joint with flux, then heat up the joint indirectly with the soldering tip a few mm away from the joint until the solder flows. Much less clean-up! Or use epoxy instead.

Edited by druxey

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

On 3/22/2020 at 8:22 PM, Kevin Kenny said:

Struggling with the doldering of the railings. Any suggestions??  

23 hours ago, Kevin Kenny said:

Success, 4 post drilled and epoxied into the model. All deck cabins stuck, lights installed.

It looks great. Nice work!

In your video above, you showed a picture of the Smith's "Tiny Torch" as a possible solution to your now-solved soldering problem. You expressed concern that using a torch "on the model" would be risky. That's true, of course, but as the owner of one of these little gems, I have to say that with tinfoil shields in place on a model, I'd try it without too much hesitation... as a last resort, certainly.

I'd encourage you to add a Little Torch to your tool collection. I expect if you did, you'd find your soldering iron gathering dust thereafter. (For one thing, irons require contact between the iron and the pieces to be soldered which usually creates movement that results in a cold joint.) The flame can be as small as a grain of rice and is super hot with propane. I use Benzomatic disposable gas and oxygen bottles from the hardware store and the pre-set regulators for the Benzomatic gas bottles. Hotter flames can be obtained by using acetylene, mapp, or hydrogen gas and oxygen. The high heat permits much more localized melting of solder than a soldering gun or iron. It also provides the higher temperatures necessary for silver soldering and even for melting small amounts of metal for small castings. 

There's a surprisingly wide price range for the Smith Little Torch because the less expensive ones are Asian knock-offs. The more expensive US-made ones have wider selections of nozzles and I think some of the specialty nozzles have sapphire tips, which may also explain the price variations. (Tips can be purchased separately.) I got an inexpensive kit, including pre-set regulators and hoses, for around fifty bucks online from the Harbor Freight catalog. (I don't think they still carry it.) It was fine, save for a leaky hose clamp, a problem which was quickly diagnosed and easily remedied. Being bought from Harbor Freight, a US "discount" tool supply outfit known for its low prices and commensurate quality, I figured I'd take a chance on the cheap one and wasn't disappointed. If I were a commercial jeweler, I'd spring for the US-made one, but found the Harbor Freight one fine for modeling purposes.

Image result for smith's little torch

https://store.cyberweld.com/smlitoou23.html

https://www.wish.com/product/55826ae0f7533125ccf5d466?hide_login_modal=true&from_ad=goog_shopping&_display_country_code=US&_force_currency_code=USD&pid=googleadwords_int&c={campaignId}&ad_cid=55826ae0f7533125ccf5d466&ad_cc=US&ad_curr=USD&ad_price=39.69&campaign_id=7203534630&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhsf6l8y26AIVCB6tBh371gLGEAQYBCABEgIAcPD_BwE&share=web

theSystem.jpg

Edited by Bob Cleek

Yes Bob, i found a mill end .125” and was able to use it in the Cameron drill press to flatten a small section on the post, then a jeweler friend explained that they use a small diamond head round burr to create a slight curve  in the flat section, which i then drilled. I was able to drill 22 holes through the post using oil as a lubricant and the drill is still good. This was a great solution as I have no idea when our airports will reopen. The lead time on ordering the resistance solder is also long. 

so i am back on schedule.

thanks for all the advice.

Yes Bob, i found a mill end .125” and was able to use it in the Cameron drill press to flatten a small section on the post, then a jeweler friend explained that they use a small diamond head round burr to create a slight curve  in the flat section, which i then drilled. I was able to drill 22 holes through the post using oil as a lubricant and the drill is still good. This was a great solution as I have no idea when our airports will reopen. The lead time on ordering the resistance solder is also long. 

so i am back on schedule.

thanks for all the advice.

Boy

it seems i am going to have to add a few items to the work shop. The Smith little torch looks fantastic and i will consider added it some time this year.

i will buy the US version, my ole motto, if your are going to buy a tool buy the best tool you can afford plus a bit more. 

6 hours ago, Kevin Kenny said:

Boy

it seems i am going to have to add a few items to the work shop. The Smith little torch looks fantastic and i will consider added it some time this year.

i will buy the US version, my ole motto, if your are going to buy a tool buy the best tool you can afford plus a bit more. 

I agree. That's always the best option if finances permit.

wonderful video although I kinda had some chest pain when I saw the 56$ price tag on the CA.... (Then I looked up the conversion rate😃)

That because you live in the developed world with a strong currency. $1 US =$7TT. 
so thats $8 US, but we still pay through our nose to get anything here. We have air freight, 20% import tariff and 15% VAT or sales tax. Thats why I usually  buy stuff and send it to my daughter in NY and pick it up when i visit,

8 hours ago, Kevin Kenny said:

That because you live in the developed world with a strong currency. $1 US =$7TT. 
so thats $8 US, but we still pay through our nose to get anything here. We have air freight, 20% import tariff and 15% VAT or sales tax. Thats why I usually  buy stuff and send it to my daughter in NY and pick it up when i visit,

You don't have to declare when you return home?  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Great video on the railing. Not only good ideas, but also excellent camera work and editing. Hollywood next stop! And a fantastic shop! Lots of good stuff in there! But what's with the broken glass of water (gin, rum?). Can't somebody buy you a new one for your birthday?

Tom

love the ladder vid,

your build looks fantastic

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat