Steam Ship Naparima by Kevin Kenny - FINISHED

imageproxy.php?img=&key=4f3b55ae31fcd018

General Historyimageproxy.php?img=&key=4f3b55ae31fcd018

The vessel was ordered by the Crown Agents in Trinidad which  operated the Trinidad Government Railway. She was designed in 1904 and  built by J I Thornycroft  and Co. Ltd. of  Chiswick. The construction was under the inspection of Sir Edward Reed. She was launched on the 7th  March 1905. She was purchased to run from end of the railroad at San Fernando down to Cedros, a journey of some  40 miles. Further details can be read in Glen Beadons  notes included in the appendix on page 23 of this report.

She left London on the 19th May 1905 arriving in Barbados on the 16th June and motored on to Port of Spain Trinidad the following day  arriving at 2.00pm, some 28 days after leaving England.

There are a number of advertisements placed in the newspaper over her life showing that she traveled to Tobago on occasion particularly during holiday periods such as Easter and Christmas.  This means that over time she took on an expanded    role by becoming a true coastal steamer for both islands  instead of simply an extension to  the railroad service from San Fernando to Cedros. The photograph above no.7  shows the remanence of the jetty at Cedros the most southerly point of her route.

The ship was designed to accommodate  40 first class passengers on a promenade deck which also offered a refreshment department and dining room. The kitchen was on the main deck connecting to the promenade deck by a lift. The main deck catered to 100 second class passengers.

Details of the ship.

Length 140 '

Width  21'

Depth 6'

Freight 42 tons.

We were able to find a reference at the National Maritime Museum in Greenwich in box No.  THY B0137 No. 367 which contains  the original plans for the coastal steamer. They have been very helpful in the past in providing copies of a number of the ships that are part of the history of Trinidad and Tobago. There  are 7 plans which are available for purchase. The  cost of the plans is £370 as such we will only purchase these just before starting the build project.

"We do charge for the digitization of our ship plans which for private use is £70 for the first plan and then £50 per subsequent plan placed in the same order. This process takes 2-3 weeks to complete and we supply exact scale 300 dpi jpegs via ftp link via email. The total cost therefore with all the ship plans below would come to £370 +VAT (if applicable)."

In the past I have purchased plans from various sources only to find that they provided me with no additional information. I decided to take the plunge and order all the plans

1203F57C-E370-4E93-B0AB-6F39071F3A2E.jpeg

9B6B9C0E-5712-42DB-B050-61CB16DB1CFD.jpeg

55B267F3-49D9-4435-8A23-2F57FFD219D0.jpeg

70C3D5AA-7E7C-408D-BA91-BA68DD71A516.jpeg

448E79AC-26F6-4B73-9BB7-664A144498EC.jpeg

E4842AF3-42CB-4FDC-99C0-F5E3BFCBEF92.jpeg

That is quite a ship. I will be watching with interest.

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

The plans are being drawn up by an architect friend John Otway at 1/4” scale. The photographs that i have posted before were from a first draft of the project. We had lots of problem trying to get the sections to line up. It was incredible  that on the same sheet of paper there were major discrepancies . We had the same problem with the sections. It was then i decided to build two models. By building the first we would be able to figure the problems. Building a solid block model using auto body filler i could easily fill in and build up the hull to compensate for the errors. The tunnel hull was extremely complex. Also when we reduced the size of the plans it did not match the overall dimensions shown in the written specifications. 

One always has to re-draft plans! There is, inevitably, distortion due to copying, paper movement with humidity changes etc. And that quite apart from actual drafting errors. Have fun!

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Hi Bob

i was just surprised at the errors as Thornycroft  was a major boat builder and i did not expect to see the number of errors.anyway John is progressing nicely with the plans and i have finished the solid model including the twin tunnel hull. As you can see by the amount of filler it was a challenge to get it accurate. When i come to build the plank on frame finial model this is certainly going to be the greatest challenge.

Kevin

CFA9C2F5-DBC3-422C-9428-A52DEE21DBDE.jpeg

Any feedback on what a Thornycroft boiler of 1904 would look look like would be greatly appreciated. This is what i have been able to take off the plans but there were no visuals of the front and back just a side and top view. The steam engines were illustrated in an article from the Engineer but the boiler has been a challenge.

Kenny, page 152 of this NAVAL ANNUAL may help a bit.

https://archive.org/details/CASGA_120403/page/n151?q=thorneycroft+boiler

I tried and failed to upload the PDF, must be too large.

HTH

Bruce

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks John. We have made lots of mistakes. Understanding this complex hull shape has really taxed John and i. When i got the finial plans from John  last week they varied quite a bit from the NMM plans so we are adjusting the hull now and will proceed to build the first draft of this model.