Medieval Fortified Village by Ekis - 1/87 scratch base kit Aedes Ars

Ekis

2 hours ago, Kurt Johnson said:

Ekis,   Can I rent the market hall for a family party in June?

I have to talk to the burgomaster (mayor) of the village, who will ask the Lord... But first of all, it must be sunny: there is no wall!  
In June, it can still be humid...

i just love this project

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

I finally finished the cloister roofs!
I was also able to test a first ageing of the church/cloister ensemble before inserting, later, some vegetation.
Some tests are also being done on the hall...

So, here are the final views of this part : I'm going to throw you a tsunami of pictures ! 😁

p3120010.jpg

p3120011.jpg

p3120012.jpg

p3120014.jpg

p3120013.jpg

p3120015.jpg

p3120017.jpg

p3120016.jpg

p3120018.jpg

p3120020.jpg

p3120021.jpg

p3120019.jpg

p3120022.jpg

p3120023.jpg

p3120024.jpg

p3120025.jpg

p3120026.jpg

p3120028.jpg

p3120030.jpg

p3120029.jpg

Some views with my hand and ruler to realize the scale!

p3120032.jpg

p3120031.jpg

Close-up on the base of the hall:

p3120033.jpg

p3120034.jpg

p3120035.jpg

Looking very good Ekis

One down and ??? to go!

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

very impressive ...........you've done a spectacular job with this project.   .......took you .......what,  20 years to bring 'er back out.....and look what a splendid model!  kudos!  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Amazing!!!! You've done good, very realistic but in miniature 😁 The market hall  is absolutely medieval Europe. 

Edited by Edwardkenway

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

I didn't realize it was that small.   But wow... looking great.  I do really like like the photo below.  

p3120018.jpg

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I finished laying the tiles in the covered market.

So I'm moving on to the suite that will be the "rural" house... Actually a town house. I'll have more to do, but this is the one from the basic kit.

And I'm transforming a bit what was planned: everything was to be made of stone. My version will have half-timbering on the first floor, which will be filled with bricks, the ground level remaining in stone.

The back wall is a part of the village wall: it will be with large stones for the sole, and normal size for the rest. 

p3150010.jpg

p3150012.jpg

p3150011.jpg

p3150013.jpg

A 1st thin structure (1mm) of the studs is in place: it allows the 3mm thick bricks to be wedged. Once the bricks have been sanded, a 2nd layer of 2mm stained wood will come flush with the bricks ;)

p3150014.jpg

Edited by Ekis

The construction continues quietly with the installation of the openings.

On the back, the stones are part of the outer wall, so they are rougher on purpose. The first bricks between the half-timbering are also started to see what it looks like.

p3170012.jpg

p3170011.jpg

p3170010.jpg

p3170014.jpg

p3170015.jpg

p3170013.jpg

p3170016.jpg

p3170017.jpg

A little idea of the mess on the desks:

p3170020.jpg

p3170018.jpg

p3170019.jpg

Very Nice work again. Can I ask are there going to be any columns/pillars for the first floor overhang?

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Thanks for your answer: I still appreciate it! ☺️
Yes, of course, there will be pillars to support this very heavy first floor.
For this first house, I don't know yet whether I'm making them out of stone columns or wooden pillars.
I'll see that at the end of the construction...

But it will look like this type of thing:

maisons-colombage-half-timbered-1024189_1920.jpg

really nice....the houses look great!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Beautiful work Ekis.  Your village is really coming along - nice work.  I especially like the dusting on the statue and the half-timbering looks very authentic.  Such a cool project!

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

I'm at a loss for words..... You can find this architecture all over europe, but the cloister has a definitely northern italian feel to it....

Beautiful job.... it will be spectacular when finished....

Edited by Egilman

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Beautiful work, Ekis. Very convincing - it really gives you the "feel" of the time and place.

Steven

Thank you all for your comments: it really motivates to keep putting stones and bricks on top of each other!
There's still a very long way to go to the end of this village, but if I manage to shape all the ideas I have planned, then it will be a success for this stone model.

It has waited 20 years for me to build it, it deserves some attention... 😁

A suite for this house.

The half-timbered bricks are done: tedious work!

The walls are being finished, the woodwork is ready to be ironed in stain. The 1st floor is glued, I will be able to complete the walls. ;)

p3200010.jpg

p3200012.jpg

p3200011.jpg

p3200013.jpg

p3200015.jpg

p3200014.jpg

p3200016.jpg

p3210010.jpg

This just gets more impressive every time I look in.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Fantastic work.

I have never seen post and beam construction with the fill area so much thicker than the beams. Interesting look.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

7 hours ago, lmagna said:

I have never seen post and beam construction with the fill area so much thicker than the beams. Interesting look.

Thank you all!

In fact Imagna, what you see at the moment is the placing of the bricks and stones with a first layer of wood that helps to glue properly and make the cuts.
In order not to put dust everywhere on the studs during the sanding, I first finish this step before "filling" the gaps with a 2nd layer of wood, this time tinted dark like at the time ...
But this final step will be in place only when I will not make any more dust, including with the roof tiles.

Small update :

- finished stone walls

- the studs are in place

- the first floor roof canopy

- window shutters

- all doors

There's still work to be done:

- the tiles in their entirety

- the stairs on the right (stone) and left (wood)

- stone doorsteps

- paving on the floor

- the pillars of support

- overall ageing

p3240019.jpg

p3230010.jpg

p3240012.jpg

p3240010.jpg

p3240011.jpg

p3240014.jpg

p3240013.jpg

p3240015.jpg