Medieval Fortified Village by Ekis - 1/87 scratch base kit Aedes Ars

Ekis

Looking VERY nice. Truly a building that could last hundreds of years, as many of them have.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

12 minutes ago, Javlin said:

When I look at the build it seems it would be relaxing work? ;) Kevin

Yes, it's a series of models that are rather relaxing to set up. But no more than a model of a historical ship or anything else.
It is necessary, like an 18th century 3-decker, to anticipate the final and overall result, to prepare and anticipate the next steps, to know the basics of the time and a little bit about historical architecture.

There are phases a little bit tedious like preparing the stones and tiles (like the assembly of the batteries of guns on a ship). Others that require attention like some walls or half-timbering (like the hulls of ships). Finally, some really rewarding things like weathering.

In short, it's like any other type of model, I think. 😉

Edited by Ekis

This house is finished. :)

Some final pictures :

p3270011.jpg

p3270010.jpg

p3290010.jpg

p3290012.jpg

p3290013.jpg

p3290014.jpg

p3290015.jpg

p3290016.jpg

p3290017.jpg

p3290019.jpg

p3290018.jpg

p3290020.jpg

p3290021.jpg

Next, it will be the belfry/west door attached to a small house.

The tower of the belfry comes from an error in sending the kit: I received twice the cardboard base of the church bell tower...

I'm going to transform this base to create the open doors, insert a hoist, a sundial, eliminate the bell tower openings, put a roof, decrease the height a bit.

The little house will be glued directly to the tower to have a city block.

p3270012.jpg

p3270013.jpg

the structures look very good........especially that house .........lots of progress since I last looked in.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I had to realize an idea to transform my cardboard bell tower base (see above) into a fortress/belfry door. :)

This tower became what I wanted, here are the transformations. I'll be able to start the structural work! ;)

p3300014.jpg

p3300015.jpg

p3300016.jpg

p3300017.jpg

p3300018.jpg

Some news: The entrance is done, the tower is going up, the house is attached with a facade of small white bricks. :)

p4010010.jpg

p4010011.jpg

p4010012.jpg

p4010013.jpg

Just to anticipate a little, I'm already planning the modifications to the Lord's house on the other side of the village:

p4010014.jpg

so....aren't we getting a little bold now..........already kit bashing huh :ph34r:  your use to the process now.........you can expand a little.  it's good to get comfy with your hobby....love what your doing with the place ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

43 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

so....aren't we getting a little bold now..........already kit bashing huh :ph34r:  your use to the process now.........you can expand a little.  it's good to get comfy with your hobby....love what your doing with the place ;) 

Thanx !
Indeed, I believe I have acquired a certain mastery of materials. So, I apply all ideas without restriction, but always respecting the buildings of the Middle Ages!

16 minutes ago, Kurt Johnson said:

It looks like such an enjoyable project. I’m sure the planning is as much fun as the building! When you’re done you should get a GoPro camera and give us a walking tour!

You're right: being able to customize each element without referring to a more or less creative plan from a manufacturer is very pleasant . But that's what I do every time with my boats!
For the filmed tour, we'll see it at the end: it can be fun! ;)

What's next!

This double building is not very important by its surface, however it gives me a lot of work!
I have to say that I have a bit more difficulties on this one.

The open door through the tower, addition of a stone hoarding with machicolation, house attached at an angle with corbelling, 2 kinds of stone cutting, a wooden wall covering for the last level, extension of the wall at the back of the building ...

In short, there is still work to be done! 😛

p4050015.jpg

p4050013.jpg

p4050014.jpg

p4050016.jpg

p4050017.jpg

That door's almost finished. 

The roofs are in progress, the forecourt is done, the woodwork and windows in place!

There will remain the ageing, the gluing of the sundial and the tower doors. :)

p4110012.jpg

p4110010.jpg

p4110011.jpg

p4110014.jpg

p4110013.jpg

p4110015.jpg

p4110016.jpg

p4110017.jpg

p4110018.jpg

p4110019.jpg

p4110020.jpg

p4110021.jpg

Ekis,

Without any posts in the last several days I was afraid the village was placed on lockdown!

It seems every structure you turn to I enjoy more than the last. It must have been a challenge  making the ceiling of the archway. A bit of a tight working space, but it looks perfect. 

Kurt

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

Yes Kurt, indeed, this building was quite complicated to do with this door through the wall, but also the diagonal position of the house, or the machicolation on the back side, or the use of 4 different sizes of stones.
But these were deliberate choices that will serve me well for the other buildings to come ...

In short, I continue to have fun with this village, and I learn very quickly the basics of medieval architecture! 😃

The next building will be the guard tower or dungeon.

In the end, the kit proposes this:

img03410.jpg

Well... it will evolve a little, of course ;)

While waiting for the improvements, the basic walls are still to be done:

p4170011.jpg

p4170012.jpg

p4170013.jpg

p4170010.jpg

The first level is done! Finally, the main work, the wood is still to come, knowing that this tower must be accompanied directly by 2 sections of wall, and other stuff. 😃

p4210017.jpg

p4210018.jpg

p4210019.jpg

p4210021.jpg

p4210020.jpg

p4210022.jpg

image.gif

This would make one Seriously Fantastic diorama,    great work.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1