Medieval Fortified Village by Ekis - 1/87 scratch base kit Aedes Ars

Ekis

Fantastic work on the gateway. 

With a different background it would be hard to know wether we were looking at  actual buildings or miniature replicas 😀

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

the gate is a model all by itself! :)    awesome work my friend.........I recall back when you first brought it out...just the church.  it has grown so much!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

That's it, that door's finished! 

Not much more to say, let's get the pictures. :D

p6140010.jpg

p6140011.jpg

p6140012.jpg

p6140013.jpg

p6140014.jpg

p6140015.jpg

p6140017.jpg

p6140016.jpg

p6140018.jpg

p6140019.jpg

p6140021.jpg

p6140020.jpg

p6140022.jpg

p6140023.jpg

p6140024.jpg

The rest will be more modest, but interesting: one of the houses against the wall. But it has a special function...

Ekis, 

All kidding aside. This is a most enjoyable project to follow. I hope we are quite far from completion yet. I may try something similar myself at some point. Do you think you would do something similar again, or is this a one time project?
As I mentioned once before I hope there is a visual “walking tour” when this is done with a GoPro or something. That would be the ultimate!

Kurt

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

On 6/15/2020 at 2:16 AM, Kurt Johnson said:

All kidding aside. This is a most enjoyable project to follow.

Do you think you would do something similar again, or is this a one time project?

Thank you all! 😃

@Kurt: I can't answer your question yet...
I must admit that I like this type of model very much. It allows almost total creativity and to stage buildings whose appearance has been forgotten from the time of their construction.

But I also have a few boats that have been waiting for me for some time!
Especially a knarr and a Nordland boat that I envy.

Conclusion: I'm going to finish this village which still takes a lot of time, and I'll see...
Afterwards, if I have to come back to this type of thing, I will complete the village with outside buildings. As the village is already divided in 3, I just have to add a 4th part at the end or on the side like a puzzle.

Here's the rest...

I didn't want to make a simple townhouse for this one, I'll have others in the middle of the village in a row. 

This is a commonplace oven, not commonplace because it's common and uninteresting! 

In the Middle Ages, a common oven was built for the whole community (to bake bread and pies) and the user paid a banality to use it for the local little lord...

The facade of the 1st floor is made of shelves to let the pies cool down! :)

Here is the beginning, with the oven in place (and the inside of it) and what will support the fireplace. This house is leaning against the wall which will receive just a small watchtower on one side.

p6160026.jpg

p6160025.jpg

p6160027.jpg

p6160029.jpg

p6160028.jpg

And this real period house (and unique!) which will serve me well as a model:

24560_10.jpg

3 hours ago, Ekis said:

Here's the rest...

I didn't want to make a simple townhouse for this one, I'll have others in the middle of the village in a row. 

This is a commonplace oven, not commonplace because it's common and uninteresting! 

In the Middle Ages, a common oven was built for the whole community (to bake bread and pies) and the user paid a banality to use it for the local little lord...

The facade of the 1st floor is made of shelves to let the pies cool down! :)

Here is the beginning, with the oven in place (and the inside of it) and what will support the fireplace. This house is leaning against the wall which will receive just a small watchtower on one side.

And this real period house (and unique!) which will serve me well as a model:

I think it's a very smart move to keep the pie cooler next to a guard tower...... (even the barbarians knew where the good stuff was)

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Hi it's a great build is it. I started collecting this kid when I was 19, in 2003. As it became to expensive to collect the parts for the whole village, I only got to finish part of the cloister 🙄😂. I wonder if anyone knows if it would be possible to buy, the rest of this kit? (Wishful thinking) but you never know 🤞lol. Thanks

Some pictures of this oven: the ground floor is built, the wall too.

I thought it was going to be quiet with this little construction, but as usual, the angles, the removal of the oven, the pillars (with a door!) on each side makes it rather more difficult and longer than expected! 

Never mind, we'll take the time we need to make it correct...  😉

p6210011.jpg

p6210017.jpg

p6210010.jpg

p6210012.jpg

p6210013.jpg

p6210014.jpg

p6210016.jpg

p6210015.jpg

Ekis,  This is a very interesting building. I have a question for you, if I may.  You discuss the “removal” of the oven In the beginning of your post today.  I don’t understand what you are referring to.  Is it currently obstructing the building of the structure? Does it currently not appear as you had envisioned it should? It appears the same.

I look forward to all your updates.

Kurt

Thank you, Kurt (and all "like") ! ☺️

I think I misspoke (or that my English translation is bad...).
Actually, I was talking about the oven which is recessed, set back from the front of the building. It forces me to anticipate the size and thickness of the stones to make the right and left pillars correctly. And as I work without a plan, I have to imagine the result before building.
In the same way, the piece of exterior wall is not (voluntarily) in the same axis as the house itself. You have to plan the alignment of the walls at each row of stones of the house so that at the end it will be well leaned against this wall.

I am not certain that I would like doing guard duty in that tower. SO CLOSE to all those fresh pie and bread smells! That would be pure torture! Great progress Ekis 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Ekis,  I know you modify the size and I am assuming the shape of the kits building stones supplied? Have you ever found the need to make unique stone shapes from Sculpy, clay or epoxy putty to satisfy a special situation? I would think sometimes that could be easier than grinding or cutting a shape. I guess it might not be desirable though, since the real stones wouldn’t have been constructed that way.

Kurt

I believe Kurt that back in medieval times when the builders had a situation where a stone couldn't be cut to fit, they made up their own... The ancient egyptians were familiar with concrete and sun dried clay bricks....

I don't see why someone can't make up their own sculpy bricks and build themselves a brick building...  We make stone faces out of sculpy for model railroad scenery, outside of the expense why not make bricks out of sculpy of even fired clay for that matter...

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

Egilman,  

I was just asking Ekis if he personally had. I have myself in the past. I personally like the two part epoxy putties. They can get expensive if that’s all you are using though. The reason I had asked is I was considering trying a to build a tower or keep and was trying to figure if there was enough in the kit to get by with.  I didn’t ask my question correctly in retrospect.

Kurt

No sweat Kurt,  Not the first time I've answered a question that wasn't being asked.... {chuckle}

I guess I misunderstood also...

Quote:

Kurt, Egilman,

For this village, in addition to the stones I had at the beginning, I bought quite a few stones and tiles in different shapes and sizes from the Aedes Ars range. For a 14th century village, there are not many illuminations or sculptures to be expected. The elders tried above all to make it efficient and solid.
I haven't yet encountered a situation that really requires special shapes. But maybe I adapt according to the elements in my possession.

But just in case, I also have some blocks of white and ochre clay in stock so that I can make special things if I need them. These are quick air-drying blocks, without firing, used for small sculpture work as a hobby.
And then in the Middle Ages, wood was also used quite a lot to make columns or statues for example. And in this case, I also have a little bit of reserve at home.

I believe that my stocks (stone, wood, clay, etc.) would allow me to make a much larger village... But for the moment, I'm already going to finish what I planned! 😁

Hydrocal or molding plaster could work, although you need some forms to put them in to keep their shape. Hydrocal dries to a very hard consistency. Molding plaster is very shape-able, when dry.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

I haven't had much time to keep this oven going. And the heat wave didn't help to go up in the workshop...

But it's still going on ! 

Some pictures of the chronology of the last days. 😁

p6270011.jpg

p6270010.jpg

p6270012.jpg

p6270013.jpg

p6280010.jpg

p6280012.jpg

p6280014.jpg

p6280013.jpg

p6280015.jpg

p6280016.jpg