Optivisor

Holy crap, how good will you be when you can see what you are doing? You are already pushing us mere mortals over the edge🙃

Seriously, I use the Optimizer with the swing away single lens. I think you can do better than the Optimizer lighting setup. One of our members here suggested

a small rechargeable light that can be velcrowed (?) onto the frame. It has a chrome body and roHs stamped on the body. Sorry, the full name is covered

with my Velcro strip. I've had this light for at least 3-4 years now and is the best I have found. I can't remember the members name that suggested it.

Harley

Cheers, Harley<p 

Under Construction:       USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54 1/200 by ILoveKit

Completed:                     F-35A 1/48 by Tamiya

USS Atlanta CL-51 1/350 by Very Fire 

Liberty Ship John W. Brown 1/350 by Trumpeter

HMS Spiraea K-08 1/350 

USS Arizona BB-39 1/200 by Trumpeter/Mk1 Design

HMS Sir Gareth 1/350 by Starling Models

USS Missouri BB-63 1945 1/350 by Joy-Yard, 9/11/21

USS Indianapolis CA-35 1945 1/350 by Trumpeter

USS Kidd DD-661, 1945, 1/350, on The Sullivans kit by Trumpeter

USS Alaska CB-1, 1/350, Hobby Boss, Circa 2/1945

Brig Syren 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

Started,On Hold:     Frigate Confederacy 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

Do the search as suggested but do yourself a favor and get glass lenses.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Agree glass lenses; only way to go.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

67 year old eyes here. I find myself using an Optivisor (with the small add on lens) quite a lot on other tasks besides model construction,as essential as socks as far as I'm concerned. Real glass is a must. I have an old General Tools pair from the last century in the garage. The plastic lenses have some scratches but I still use them for work out there. When I'm not using either pair,I always place them with the visor part in a gallon Ziploc bag to keep dust etc off the lenses.

Greg, I recently purchased a Beleshi Glass Lens headband (no light).  While these are the enclosed type, I have found the reduced field of view does not interfere with my modelling.  They also do not have a 'mounted' LED but I never use that feature anyway.

I went for  a 'package' deal that included 3 lenses of different focal lengths/magnification.  I got these at a really good price through Amazon Australia.  At first, based on the price, I was sceptical these were actually glass lenses but they are :)  - much cheaper than many of the the other manufacturers and I have found them very good.  The only issue being that because they are ground glass lenses the 'depth of field' is much more defined and dependent on the magnification selected.  That said once you determine your working length/focal length they are very clear and easy to work with.

I am going to invest in another pair (at that price not a problem) so that I have extra lenses and have two magnification levels to work with, without having to change out the lenses.  Give me a bell or PM if you need extra info.

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

Just ordered what Pat suggested. My eyes have only just recently changed. I use three lamps but miss details that I only pick up in photos. It’s the direct light onto the work I need. I love the idea of storing them in a large zip loc bag to keep the dust off. God knows how people do 1/700 

Greg

Hi all, I use the Beileshi with my glass and without - no issue either way but does affect the working distance.

Gaetan, I was skeptical at first but they seem to be proper glass lenses and they do include the working distances per lens (by magnification).

The table that came with mine state:

Lens Plate  Mag ratio  Focus   (Focal Length)

2                1.5x        20 inches

4                  2x         10 inches

5                 2.5x        8 inches

10                3.5x        4 inches

cheers

Pat