Hof van St Janskerke by niels wilhelm

2 hours ago, amateur said:

Interesting choice! Why this ship?

(And do you really build in your car??)

Jan

I believe it is the ship Disnie's Black Pearl is based on, and I have the Revell kit, in hopes of displaying them side by side at some point.  And yes--I really build in the drivers seat of a Dodge Caravan ( I have no where else I can build )

I never had thought that Disney based its ship on an existing ship :)

Where did you get the drawing of the ship? The only version I know is a very low-resolution one in the internet, but that is hardly enough to recognize it as a ship.

and another question: how long is your model? Those VOC-ships were around 130/140 feet, which is slightly under 40 meters. At scale 1:100, that would come at 40 centimeters. Yours does look longer than that.

Jan

10 hours ago, amateur said:

I never had thought that Disney based its ship on an existing ship :)

Where did you get the drawing of the ship? The only version I know is a very low-resolution one in the internet, but that is hardly enough to recognize it as a ship.

and another question: how long is your model? Those VOC-ships were around 130/140 feet, which is slightly under 40 meters. At scale 1:100, that would come at 40 centimeters. Yours does look longer than that.

Jan

The drawing I found on the internet, is the second picture at the beginning of this thread.  Yes- it is a very poor print.  First-I copied the horizontal distance from cannon port to cannon port on the Revell plastic kit.  Then compared the vertical distance from gun deck to gun deck, and this was a good match to the Revell 1/96 USS Constitution plastic kit.  I have not measured my model at the water line yet, I'll get back to you on that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...