reklein

Can't find your tools?

Always put them back in the same place. No matter how unorganized and messy your shop looks always put them back in the same place. If you have a lot of small tools and parts then you may need aq tool box with a lot of drawers and a number of parts bins racks ,still always use the same drawers for the same parts and tools. If your getting on and living in the hereafter.Thats when you walk into a room and wonder,what am I hereafter. Then theres not much hope,but putting things aback in the same place always helps.  Bill

Wife always misplaces my tools was looking for a screwdriver I needed, was aggravated had looked all over house. I tracked her down and accused her of not putting my tools back and advised I was tired of searching for tools she misplaced. She stated laughing and said fool have you looked in your hand.

What's so sad about this its a true story, gave her one more excuse to put me in a home.:default_wallbash:

If your wife/partner/mate/kids/etc. seem to be "borrowing" hand tools, get them their own small set.  I put one together for my former wife with a couple of pliers, screwdrivers. wire cutters, etc.  She was happy with it.

I need to add to this... just make sure that once she has her toolbox... never, ever, under any circumstances, "borrow" a tool from it.  

I am well organised, built little cupboard with drawers, racks on the walls and all that. Everything has its place and I know what kind of tools is in what drawer - problem is that I have so many fancy tools that I forget that I had them by the time I really could make good use of them ...

Wives and tools: she always shouts at me that I never 'share' anything from the workshop - but the problem is that she takes whatever lies around, rather than using the 'right' tool for a particular job. Same applies during her work in the kitchen, btw. Using the wrong tools for the job, kitchen or workshop, always drives tears in my eyes.

I am notoriously bad for grabbing a tool, using it then throwing it on the bench. Eventually I can't find anything and end up with a bench to cluttered to use.  To make matters worse, I have two workshops and it gets to a point where I can't use either.  That's when I have to spend a weekend cleaning up both shops, returning tools from one shop to the other and putting things away.  I promise myself I'll put tools away after use, which lasts for about a week then the mess begins again.

It literally gets to a point where I'll use a tool, set it down, need it again and spend the next 10 minutes trying to locate it.

Having said that, in the house we have a place for everything and everything is in its place.  So I get used to where everything is until one day I can't find anything.  Reason being, the admiral will decide, maybe twice a year, that she wants to rearrange everything.  She doesn't tell me that she has done it.  So now, I have to ask her where everything is.  In 6 months time I'll learn all the new locations and then she'll rearrange again.  Maybe that's her way of ensuring that she will always be needed. 😍

I love my wife dearly but she seems to be a walking entropy engine.  She can walk through a room and things will appear or disappear on whatever horizontal surface strikes her need at the moment.  At some point we get the re-arrangement a-la Derek's post above at which point I will be able to find nothing.

As a result I am super diligent about scooping up tools and things that she has borrowed after she has used them.

Regards,

8 hours ago, Worldway said:

Reason being, the admiral will decide, maybe twice a year, that she wants to rearrange everything.  She doesn't tell me that she has done it.  So now, I have to ask her where everything is.  In 6 months time I'll learn all the new locations and then she'll rearrange again.  Maybe that's her way of ensuring that she will always be needed.

Sounds familiar. My beloved wife claims that this is her strategy against dementia ...

Posted (edited)

My workbench (used essentially for 1/32 plastic aircraft models) used to shrink to the usual free one-square-foot.

I have invested in Hobbyzone (hoobyzone.pl) modules, and my modelling life was changed. Now, part of the discipline in modelling is to end up any session (admittedly not as frequent as I could wish) with a cleaning and putting back tools in their right place.

It makes modelling so much more enjoyable, especially when you start every time with a clean (and orderly) bench ;) .

Hubert

Edited by Hubert Boillot

I really like the tool rack shown in the video.  My only suggestion is the entire rack could be tilted (forward) maybe 15 - 20 degrees.  It would make it easier to lift-out and replace the tools.

😀Maury

A quote from Dos Equis' worlds most interesting man. "I don't often lose things,but when I do, Its because my wife has moved them."

Remember, "Every tool is a hammer except a screwdriver. That's a chisel."

There is a fine line between the efficiency resulting from being totally organized and the total euphoria one feels when the elusive tool that has eluded you for quite some time, finally presents itself at the most opportune time.  I still struggle to find the happy medium..........................!!!!!!

7 hours ago, Ponto said:

There is a fine line between the efficiency resulting from being totally organized and the total euphoria one feels when the elusive tool that has eluded you for quite some time, finally presents itself at the most opportune time.

It's usually found right under your nose, in plain sight or slightly buried.

20 hours ago, Ponto said:

There is a fine line between the efficiency resulting from being totally organized and the total euphoria one feels when the elusive tool that has eluded you for quite some time, finally presents itself at the most opportune time.  I still struggle to find the happy medium..........................!!!!!!

Yes, but which one is it really ? The first one, or the second you bought because you could not find the first, or the third because both the first and second of the same had disappeared 😉 ? That the one who has not multiples of the same tool throws the first nail at me 😁 ...

Hubert