Can't find your tools?

Always put them back in the same place. No matter how unorganized and messy your shop looks always put them back in the same place. If you have a lot of small tools and parts then you may need aq tool box with a lot of drawers and a number of parts bins racks ,still always use the same drawers for the same parts and tools. If your getting on and living in the hereafter.Thats when you walk into a room and wonder,what am I hereafter. Then theres not much hope,but putting things aback in the same place always helps.  Bill

Bill, in Idaho

Completed Mamoli Halifax and Billings Viking ship in 2015

Next  Model Shipways Syren

Bill; I totally agree!!!!! The problem I have is remembering to do this!...Moab

Completed Builds:

Virginia Armed Sloop...Model Shipways

Ranger...Corel

Louise Steam Launch...Constructo

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

26’ Long Boat...Model Shipways

Under Construction:

Emma C. Berry...Model Shipways

I recently re-organized my play room.  Now I cannot find a darned thing.

Never ever  re-organize!

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

Wife always misplaces my tools was looking for a screwdriver I needed, was aggravated had looked all over house. I tracked her down and accused her of not putting my tools back and advised I was tired of searching for tools she misplaced. She stated laughing and said fool have you looked in your hand.

What's so sad about this its a true story, gave her one more excuse to put me in a home.:default_wallbash:

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

Wow!  I thought I was the only one who misplaced tools...Moab

Completed Builds:

Virginia Armed Sloop...Model Shipways

Ranger...Corel

Louise Steam Launch...Constructo

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

26’ Long Boat...Model Shipways

Under Construction:

Emma C. Berry...Model Shipways

If your wife/partner/mate/kids/etc. seem to be "borrowing" hand tools, get them their own small set.  I put one together for my former wife with a couple of pliers, screwdrivers. wire cutters, etc.  She was happy with it.

I need to add to this... just make sure that once she has her toolbox... never, ever, under any circumstances, "borrow" a tool from it.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I am well organised, built little cupboard with drawers, racks on the walls and all that. Everything has its place and I know what kind of tools is in what drawer - problem is that I have so many fancy tools that I forget that I had them by the time I really could make good use of them ...

Wives and tools: she always shouts at me that I never 'share' anything from the workshop - but the problem is that she takes whatever lies around, rather than using the 'right' tool for a particular job. Same applies during her work in the kitchen, btw. Using the wrong tools for the job, kitchen or workshop, always drives tears in my eyes.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

I am notoriously bad for grabbing a tool, using it then throwing it on the bench. Eventually I can't find anything and end up with a bench to cluttered to use.  To make matters worse, I have two workshops and it gets to a point where I can't use either.  That's when I have to spend a weekend cleaning up both shops, returning tools from one shop to the other and putting things away.  I promise myself I'll put tools away after use, which lasts for about a week then the mess begins again.

It literally gets to a point where I'll use a tool, set it down, need it again and spend the next 10 minutes trying to locate it.

Having said that, in the house we have a place for everything and everything is in its place.  So I get used to where everything is until one day I can't find anything.  Reason being, the admiral will decide, maybe twice a year, that she wants to rearrange everything.  She doesn't tell me that she has done it.  So now, I have to ask her where everything is.  In 6 months time I'll learn all the new locations and then she'll rearrange again.  Maybe that's her way of ensuring that she will always be needed. 😍

Derek

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea  

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

Bluenose - Model Shipways - 1:64 Scale

Fair American - Model Shipways - 1:48 Scale

HMS Winchelsea 1764 - Group Build

On Deck

Guns of History Naval Smoothbore Deck Gun - 1:24 Scale

Finished Builds

Mare Nostrum - Artesania Latina - 1:35 Scale

Guns of History Carronade - Model Shipways - 1:24 Scale

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

I love my wife dearly but she seems to be a walking entropy engine.  She can walk through a room and things will appear or disappear on whatever horizontal surface strikes her need at the moment.  At some point we get the re-arrangement a-la Derek's post above at which point I will be able to find nothing.

As a result I am super diligent about scooping up tools and things that she has borrowed after she has used them.

Regards,

Henry

Laissez le bon temps rouler ! 

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

Completed Build Amerigo Vespucci

I keep losing my 6” rule.  Bought three and just lost my flexible one again 👎

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

8 hours ago, Worldway said:

Reason being, the admiral will decide, maybe twice a year, that she wants to rearrange everything.  She doesn't tell me that she has done it.  So now, I have to ask her where everything is.  In 6 months time I'll learn all the new locations and then she'll rearrange again.  Maybe that's her way of ensuring that she will always be needed.

Sounds familiar. My beloved wife claims that this is her strategy against dementia ...

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

My workbench (used essentially for 1/32 plastic aircraft models) used to shrink to the usual free one-square-foot.

I have invested in Hobbyzone (hoobyzone.pl) modules, and my modelling life was changed. Now, part of the discipline in modelling is to end up any session (admittedly not as frequent as I could wish) with a cleaning and putting back tools in their right place.

It makes modelling so much more enjoyable, especially when you start every time with a clean (and orderly) bench ;) .

Hubert

Edited by Hubert Boillot

I really like the tool rack shown in the video.  My only suggestion is the entire rack could be tilted (forward) maybe 15 - 20 degrees.  It would make it easier to lift-out and replace the tools.

😀Maury

A quote from Dos Equis' worlds most interesting man. "I don't often lose things,but when I do, Its because my wife has moved them."

Remember, "Every tool is a hammer except a screwdriver. That's a chisel."

Bill, in Idaho

Completed Mamoli Halifax and Billings Viking ship in 2015

Next  Model Shipways Syren

There is a fine line between the efficiency resulting from being totally organized and the total euphoria one feels when the elusive tool that has eluded you for quite some time, finally presents itself at the most opportune time.  I still struggle to find the happy medium..........................!!!!!!

Built & De-Commissioned: HMS Endeavour (Corel), HMS Unicorn (Corel),

Abandoned: HMS Bounty (AL)

Completed : Wappen Von Hamburg (Corel), Le Renommee (Euromodel)... on hold

Current WIP: Berlin by Corel

On Shelf:  HMS Bounty (Billings),

7 hours ago, Ponto said:

There is a fine line between the efficiency resulting from being totally organized and the total euphoria one feels when the elusive tool that has eluded you for quite some time, finally presents itself at the most opportune time.

It's usually found right under your nose, in plain sight or slightly buried.

Derek

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea  

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

20 hours ago, Ponto said:

There is a fine line between the efficiency resulting from being totally organized and the total euphoria one feels when the elusive tool that has eluded you for quite some time, finally presents itself at the most opportune time.  I still struggle to find the happy medium..........................!!!!!!

Yes, but which one is it really ? The first one, or the second you bought because you could not find the first, or the third because both the first and second of the same had disappeared 😉 ? That the one who has not multiples of the same tool throws the first nail at me 😁 ...

Hubert

Well said Hubert

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds