HMS Winchelsea 1764 by Trussben - 1:48

Hi

So I'm going to go ahead and start a build log of the Winchelsea, It will based off Chuck's designs with a few modifications of my own.

My main reason for building her is because she was once captained by Pellew and I intend in the future to build another of his ships,

a 1:48 fully framed model of the 44 gun Razee Indefatigable and it would be great to have both models together in the same scale.

I will not be planking in AYC as I have a goodly stock of Castello Boxwood and prefer it on a model of this size, also stem/stern framing

and keel will be of Swiss Pear with other wood highlights, maybe I will use the cedar on things that wont be seen easily and use the fruitwood

gel stain that Chuck has discovered to blend it with the boxwood to minimize usage.

I did purchase the Bulkheads and starter packages from Chuck and will certainly be buying his cast resin set when they are available.

The first job I have started while waiting for planking to dry on Pegasus is to make a new build board for this "BIG" ship, it will be approx

38" long without rigging and will need good support while framing, planking and finishing, so I decided to go and buy another 'cheap'

5foot workbench from Harbor Freight for $100 and modify it to suit. First it was put together and lift casters added so that I can quickly move

and spin the bench whichever way I need it. Second was to add 4-foot T-tracks and a nice large 1/2" MDF buildboad to the top. Third was to

install the keel and bulkhead former holders ready for the backbone. The 4 drawers are great for holding parts/tools and the bottom shelf for

materials which keeps an entire build together on one table instead of being spread about my workshop.

Here is looking forward to an interesting build and I should start on the bulkheads later this week.

ben

bench.jpg

Edited by Trussben

Hi Ben, Welcome aboard and It'll be great to watch your build.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Thanks David and Rusty,

I decided to make up both the AYC and my own Pear/Box knee of the head to look at the difference in color and grain appearance and I have decided to go ahead with my decision to make the framing in Pear.

ben

2AA7838F-0036-407B-AE5E-0ABD71284F61.jpeg

060346E8-E34C-4E84-A3D4-3BEE5896553E.jpeg

Edited by Trussben

Yep Chris, I have started the Rough fairing process before I start the port framing layout, you can see the flexible holly battern I use to check fairness as I go.

7965AFD1-1691-4DC3-9129-807C14A6F75D.jpeg

Hi Ben, 

Great to see you making progress!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Thanks for all the likes.

Rusty - I have been at home for a few weeks so have managed to spend some time in the shop, that will soon come to an end but I hope to get the port framing completed before I go back on the road.

Erik - sorry to hear the benches are so expensive, you could try and make one, instead of drawers just make 2-3 shelves instead, wouldn’t be too hard I think.

ben

Port layout and upper/lower cill framing complete, no issues were encountered with this process, and I have begun installing the port sides.

Next up will be adding the stern framing and I’m also cooking up something special to add to this model which will change the original design somewhat but hopefully it will add to the whole.

ben

EC7806C7-4832-4978-B544-556A46DE3113.jpeg

Edited by Trussben

Looking good Ben. Can't wait to see what's cooking in the kitchen!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

I’ve begun lining up the stern framing and adjusting everything before glueing using the patterns and plans supplied by Chuck, everything is lining up nicely and looks real good.

ben

D5B15DA2-AEF6-4E16-9039-4960600F45A3.jpeg

That is looking very, very good.   😀  Your careful planning and lining up at this stage will pay off so much later when you get to the later chapters.

Here is what I have cooked up for my Winchelsea build to add a little difference to it.

I intend to add a frame reveal to the model, much like Chuck's one on his Confederacy or David's one on the Comet.

Midships is the obvious place to put a reveal so as to simplify the design work and make construction easier, so I have decided to make mine between the bulkheads of station frames G thru 5, Also it will be just below the wales to allow for two strakes of lower planking above and several below it.

It will be quite a large reveal so as to show the first and second futtock frame joints, I will have to construct a shadow box behind it to be painted flat black and the simulated frames will be made of swiss pear.

According to "Steel" and the "Shipbuilders repository" table of scantlings, a 32gun frigate of the time would have had 11 1/2" wide second futtock framing, molded 9" with a room and space of 27 3/4", I intend to simplify this a little with 11" wide framing with 3" between them, and it works out that I can fit 23-24 frames in the reveal.

I will finish the design side of this soon and start building it when I have completed construction of the stern framing.

ben

IMG_3454.JPG

Edited by Trussben

Love the Idea Ben.  Cant wait to see how it all turns out.  I am sure it will look fantastic.

Chuck

Thanks All,

After manipulation of the NMM plans in Autocad I have now also completed the design of the hull framing parts and where their joints will be.

I need to make a load of these and construct the shadow box, I’m not going to make actual chocked joints - just simulate them and highlight with black monofilament line treenails.

This could take a while.

ben

989AB664-1159-46D3-B49C-D6CA36E4C28A.jpeg

Edited by Trussben

This sounds really interesting.  The frame reveal was one it the first things that caught my eye when I was looking at the Confederacy. 

I will definitely continue to watch.  I think it will be well worth the time and effort as it adds a lot to the model.

Great stuff, good luck Ben.

Till next time.....     😎

Steve

Finished:              Artesania Latina Constellation;   Model Shipways USF Confederacy:  Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company

Current Build:     Syren's Winchelsea 

Stern framing completed and transom looks like everything is where it should be, I will now add the QG supports and begin installing the frame reveal shadow box.

ben

IMG_3450.JPG

IMG_3451.JPG

IMG_3452.JPG

Looking as it should Ben.  Your careful attention to measurements will pay off immensely. 

Thanks Chuck/Mike and all the likes.

Here is the shadow box installed and spray painted flat black, I’m currently cutting the frames out of Swiss Pear sheet that I milled down to 11” thick, maybe get that done and this completed in the next few weeks.

ben

49942776-37B5-424C-A347-DB1DB724242F.jpeg

6A0FF52A-9CB2-459C-9BCE-A59F4D9DE333.jpeg

Edited by Trussben

While I’m working on the frame reveal I also decided to plank the counter in boxwood.

ben

98E28AE8-532D-472F-BCD7-3203D3DE2D79.jpeg

258200A4-6571-445D-B130-A1F447A17C0F.jpeg

Edited by Trussben

Very nice Ben!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B)