HMS Winchelsea 1764 by Trussben - 1:48

Thanks Rusty.

Fred - it’s really not that complex once you have it planned in your mind what you are trying to achieve.

I hope to have the reveal completed this week as I’m installing frames and treenails as we speak.

ben

Well here is my port side frame reveal completed, in the end it turned out to be 23 frames that i could fit between the bulkheads.

I did the treenails with 20lb black line and reversed the pattern aft of the deadflat frames.

I'm so happy with how this came out in the end that I'm considering building one on the starboard side as well but we shall see.

ben

IMG_3478.JPG

That really looks good Ben.  I cant wait to see it defined with the window in your planking.

chuck

Its very timely and good to see your config.  I am slowly drafting the next project which is a fully framed Winnie cross section.   Its going to be a very nice subject.  It will have 20 frames.

Wincross.jpg

Wincross1.jpg

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

Chuck, I’m really looking forward to the cross section project!

Ditto to the above.

Love the frame section on your Winnie Ben😃

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Great work Ben. Looks really sharp! 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Wow Ben - That looks awesome.  I love the wood choice also.  It is going to add some nice contrast.   You really have me wondering if I should give it a try on one side.  I think it adds a lot to the model and draws attention.

Beautiful work.....

Till next time.....     😎

Steve

Finished:              Artesania Latina Constellation;   Model Shipways USF Confederacy:  Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company

Current Build:     Syren's Winchelsea 

That looks great Ben. This will really make your build a “one-off”. Well done!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Upper planking above the Wales in Boxwood has been completed, now to install the two strakes below the Wales and start machining the ebony I need for the 2nd layer of the Wales.

Covid-19 lockdowns do equate to more modeling time.

ben

15210964-5520-48DA-8DCC-8D30CBCD7008.jpeg

CF3EE4C5-0AF7-4D0C-9297-B8D1554AC7FB.jpeg

Edited by Trussben

Hey Ben.  I see you decided to do the framing on the other side.  Everything looks really good.     

This is going to be a beautiful build.   Keep up the great work....

Till next time.....     😎

Steve

Finished:              Artesania Latina Constellation;   Model Shipways USF Confederacy:  Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company

Current Build:     Syren's Winchelsea 

Very very nice Ben. 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

That really looks fantastic Ben.   It is refreshing to see you make this project unique and different!!!  Love it!!!

Thought I’d share a picture of the plank bending station that I made, very similar to Chucks with a few refinements of my own, it’s screwed onto the end of the build table of Winchelsea to keep everything close and together ready for when the time comes to add the two strakes below the Wales and when bottom planking really gets started.

ben

5E0968D0-4728-4A2F-9690-78D87B732F91.jpeg

Edited by Trussben

• 2 weeks later...

I have completed installation of the Ebony wales, black strake in Boxwood and the sheer cap in AYC.

The Two strakes below the wales and the rest of the lower planking will be made from white american Holly as you can see, I like the contrast against the super black of the ebony.

I now have to begin fairing the internal bulkheads down to the proper thickness and then start lining off the lower hull - It will be a while until the next update.

ben

IMG_E3723.JPG

IMG_E3726.JPG

IMG_E3724.JPG

IMG_E3725.JPG

Relly coming along nicely Ben.  I like the wood choices a lot.  I didnt think I would.  But after seeing them it looks lovely.

Chuck

Thanks Chuck,

Just a shot of my double checking the angle of the transom, making sure its good compared to the plans, so I hope to have no issues when it comes to the Quarter Gallery installation.

ben

IMG_3732.JPG

IMG_3731.JPG

Beautiful work, Ben! What is that interesting looking angle tool called that you are using check the angle of the transom. I've never seen one of those and it look very useful.

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Hey Bob, It just an ordirnary angle finder/protractor used in woodworking, cheap enough at about $7 on amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/General-Tools-29-Plastic-Protractor/dp/B00004T7P5/ref=sr_1_18?dchild=1&keywords=angle+gauge&qid=1586714090&sr=8-18

ben