HMS Winchelsea 1764 by Trussben - 1:48

On 7/28/2022 at 7:13 PM, garyshipwright said:

Ben she really looks good and maybe just maybe mine will come out half as good. Really love the look and she is top notch that's for sure. I take it that your lower part of the hull is planked with holly? Helps bring out the hull really nicely. Gary

I’m sure your model will be as excellent as your scratch work is.

Yes - Holly lower planking.

Headworks on the starboard side almost complete, I think i will remove the hair bracket friezes and replace them to try to better match it all together so the seams are less visible.A6E877D3-12C7-46E8-8B32-564C0FEFEE72.thumb.jpeg.4c12d359fe601c691820f9c137e767b1.jpegB10F1B20-39FF-4457-B4C5-0E75E317BFCA.thumb.jpeg.e39418c830bee22534de41e98baf2be8.jpeg

2 hours ago, dvm27 said:

Lovely work, Ben. Would it be possible the stitch both decals together and apply them as one to cover the seam? 

No Greg, The frieze prints are in two parts, but I believe I can do a much better job second time around trying to make it as seamless as possible, and I still have the portside to start.

• 1 month later...

Hi Ben. I been looking at your planking and must say it is out standing that's for sure. The holly you used for the planking below the wale is a eye catcher.  Am think about using holly for the lower planking that is with your permission good sir. Keep up the great work. Gary

On 9/21/2022 at 9:54 PM, garyshipwright said:

Hi Ben. I been looking at your planking and must say it is out standing that's for sure. The holly you used for the planking below the wale is a eye catcher.  Am think about using holly for the lower planking that is with your permission good sir. Keep up the great work. Gary

Hey Gary,

Go for it!

I like the look, but to purchase really nice Holly that has no grey striations is quite expensive, some of my planking shows a little bit of it even though it was good quality!

But when you see it in natural light it really looks great IMO.

Ben I have some good holly with no gray streaks and probably have had it for a few years. Not sure if I have enough  to plank the hull but we will see.  I also have some silver maple which is probably just as white. so maybe I see if I can find more of both. Well good sir you got it right and wood now days is quite expensive.  Thanks again. Gary

On 9/24/2022 at 9:10 AM, garyshipwright said:

Ben if you was going to buy some Holly for you building where would you go to get some? Am not sure if I have enough and figure maybe I would get a couple of pieces before I start that part of the build. Thank you. Gary

Hi Gary

the only place that I know that sells really good quality “ WHITE” Holly is Domex, but it’s not cheap! Expect to pay $100 for a piece 1x6x20”.

http://www.domexhardwoods.com/catalog/holly-lumber

Edited by Trussben

• 4 weeks later...

Looking really nice Ben!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

On 10/24/2022 at 4:33 PM, Trussben said:

I usually get a little more modeling time during the winter.

Ah the one good thing about winter. More modeling time!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

• 2 weeks later...

• 1 month later...

JJ - I personally actually find it better to have two builds! When I get annoyed or distracted with one I work on the other one for a bit.

18 hours ago, Trussben said:

JJ - I personally actually find it better to have two builds! When I get annoyed or distracted with one I work on the other one for a bit.

That’s just  the answer I wanted to hear to justify my need to start another one lol! 
obviously it’s working for you as both projects are progressing nicely.

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 - 5th rate 32 gun frigate (on hold for now)

HMS Portland 1770 Prototype 1:48 - 4th rate 50 gun ship

Very nice Ben. I agree sometimes you need to shift gears on builds that take years to complete. 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

• 1 month later...

Small progress to Winnie as I’m spending the small amount of modeling time that I currently get on my Pegasus model.

Stove has been completed and I have started work on the gunport lids that are required.

B9B23057-03A1-42AF-BD4C-17B5B799E104.thumb.jpeg.4867ded93b902e7a88e2982b84bea48f.jpeg